Make a donation

Author Topic: any point it stage 2+?  (Read 2362 times)

Offline chris s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 6
any point it stage 2+?
« on: December 29, 2011, 08:19:48 pm »
Can anyone let me know if there is any point in moving to 2+ without an intercooler? My ed30 is running stage2 with a BCS TBE and ITG and I've just bought an autotech HPFP so will get that installed anyway. Thoughts much appreciated guys
Candy White Edition 30 DSG
Revo Stage 2+
ITG, BCS TBE, Autotech HPFP
WALK
R32 Brake upgrade
S3 IC upgrade

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: any point it stage 2+?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 08:44:44 pm »
Sunglasses_Ron ran his on just the standard IC and his RR graph looked like this.

Without traction power is nothing!

Offline chris s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 08:46:02 pm »
Wow that looks impressive
Candy White Edition 30 DSG
Revo Stage 2+
ITG, BCS TBE, Autotech HPFP
WALK
R32 Brake upgrade
S3 IC upgrade

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 12:16:13 pm »
you can do temporarily but long term you should upgrade IC or stick at stg 2 really - ask revo
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 10:10:32 pm »
Stg2+ on stock intercooler is fine, however intake temps can get around 15-20 degrees higher after a few 3rd and 4th gear pulls on the road. Dyno shows that a K04 car with cooler can make 10-15hp more as the cooler temps allow a few more degrees of timing advance.

from the countless stg2+ cars I have mapped I would say 90% had stock coolers.

garyrosehearty

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 06:13:42 pm »
Perhaps the bhp reading on a dyno could not be accurate for a car with the standard intercooler. Its not really getting up to temperatures that it will out on the road as it is just for a short burst.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 06:38:26 pm »
Perhaps the bhp reading on a dyno could not be accurate for a car with the standard intercooler. Its not really getting up to temperatures that it will out on the road as it is just for a short burst.

Depends on the fans the dyno is using tbh.

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 06:28:35 pm »
What's stage 2+ BHP then with THS and autotech internals, BCS system with 100cel cat, RS4 valve, and a ITG?
I'm curious? Thought they get about 350/360BHP but if the one above is getting 355 with standard IC what would my ED30 get then with Revo?  :popcornsoda:

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 06:47:10 pm »
As mentioned already, IC is not essential with Stage 2+, especially during the winter. However, during the summer months after a few WOT runs, my car would run noticeably slower and if I were to go down the route again I would opt for a Twintercooler or similar (just wasn't worth while for me, as the car was going soon after).
On a 1/4 mile run for example, if 2 x Stage 2+ identical cars were to run against each other and one had uprated FMIC compared to the other having OEM. I would say there would be bog all difference (mine was certainly quick enough for minimal mods :surprised:). If both cars were on a track day though and were continuously being ragged round the track. The OEM cooler'd car would soon be struggling after a couple of laps.

Depends what your circumstances are really and how long you intend on keeping the car. Even with a oem cooler'd car, it will be a seriously quick hatchback!!!!  :driver:

This is better scaled plot of the same RR run. This was before I changed the Dbilas intake for a EVOMS.. (which was noticeably better IMO, just never got it on the rollers again to see  :sad1:).

In the winter it makes next to no difference IMO. I logged mine in 5/6oC AT and even when knocking the timing upto 8, I got next to no timing pull on continuous 3rd and 4th gear WOT runs..  :surprised:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:16:55 pm by Sunglasses Ron »