Make a donation

Author Topic: I-Pods, Talk to me!  (Read 1036 times)

Offline MJR

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
I-Pods, Talk to me!
« on: March 12, 2012, 12:01:43 am »
Ok looking for a little guidance regarding I-pods.

I'm a technology newbie specially with mp3 players etc
Looking to get myself a cheap I-pod purely for use in the gym, out running or cycling.
Would also like the option of a built-in radio.
Do you need to have an I-tunes account to use the I-pod or can you put your own mp3's on it?

I'm sure many people here have I-pods & will be able to help me with my queries  :pomppomp:
So any help is much appreciated.

Cheers MJR  :happy2:
Bye Bye VW Candy White Golf GTi  :'-(  (sadly missed!)
Bye Bye Ford Fiesta TDCi Zetec! (piece of s**t!) lol
Hello Honda Accord GT Tourer! schaweet!

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
Re: I-Pods, Talk to me!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 11:53:42 am »
If your gunna get one, make it a touch - insure (usually home or other cheap) it and buy a nice ipod sock or case to keep it safe.

http://ipod.about.com/od/introductiontotheipod/a/ipod_touch_a.htm

have a read of that. Yup you need itunes to basically do most things on your ipod, i.e. upload music, videos, podcasts, audiobooks etc etc etc then if you have wifi you can always browse the internet as you please, but itunes isnt really not hard to use or a bad thing to use - it keeps everything nice, simple and organised. There are other programmes out there for those of us that decide to "stick it to the man" and jailbrake them but thats a whole other thing.  :happy2:

If you look after it you'll have a great experience.

Ifti

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 05:18:53 pm »
If its for gym only then you don't need to spend so much extra on an iPod Touch. An iPod touch is only for those who want to use apps, browse the net, check emails, and so on - basically its an iPhone without the phone function.

If you are not interested in that then I would get a standard iPod nano. Small enough to tuck away while you are working n the gym.

You need to have iTunes installed on your computer to sync the iPod with. You can have an iTunes account (it's free and you don't have to register a credit card if you don't want to) but if you don't want an account and will purely be either ripping your own CDs or music for use on the iPod then you don't need to have an account and can sync your local library of ripped music straight to the iPod.

It's all pretty easy and straightforward really so I wouldn't worry about that side of things. Its just choosing which type of iPod you are after.
For just music for the gym I would go with a small and light iPod nano.
For anything more I would go with an iPod touch.

Offline Nodz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 05:29:47 pm »
I can 2nd a Nano as I have the 4th gen (before they made them square with only a screen) and its got fm radio and you can still control browse your songs unlike on a shuffle where it's all you tracks randomly

Offline MJR

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 06:22:10 pm »
Thanks lads  :happy2:

I wouldn't have a clue about which one to get but sounds like the nano is the one for me ie only use it for the gym etc &  would like the option of radio.

I'll have a search on the net later tonight when I get a chance and see what I can find  :drinking:

Cheers MJR

Offline MJR

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 10:19:47 pm »
Just had a look on the net at the I-Pod nano 4th Gen 8Gb,
also going buy some decent headphones & get an armband thing for it.

What is a decent price I'd be looking at paying to get one, as the price ranges vary massively?

Cheers MJR