Make a donation

Author Topic: mk2 golf advice  (Read 1710 times)

Offline N44LED

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
mk2 golf advice
« on: January 12, 2012, 04:38:39 pm »

Hi guys

In the process of looking for a mk2 golf driver for my younger brother as he is going to start driving in feb and he wants a mk2 as they seam strangly enough they come up the cheapest for him but we`ve seen standard ones and seen ones with a few little mods on them nice ones not takky over the top ones.

But they seam to be on about 125,000 to 165,000miles, i know the mk2s are great but not sure on the engines as in reliabilty at that kind of millage i know some of them might need a little bit doing to them dont mind that but dont want anything major if the head gasket goes at a certain millage like that.

Does anyone know what to look out for when buying one i am mechanical minded but dont know the things to look out for them as in common rust spots, noise`s from engine and gearbox.

Just found one on mk2golf forum but has 160,000 on it and has a couple of mods on ats cups, coilovers, debadged grill, cross hair lights,gti rear lights and in red all the excact mods he wants done in the colour he wants. but at the moment its not running due to the ignition module but told runs fine. this is why i am posting this up on here to find a bit more out on them.

Personally i dont buy modded cars meself but in his case as his funds are very low and with the mods on it come to 700 and he wants 850 for it.

Any help/advise on this is would be very greatful.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Thank you

Aled

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: mk2 golf advice
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 04:54:10 pm »
They run forever people are so hung up on milage in this country  :rolleye: look at the cars history check everywhere you can for rust like sills,spare wheel well,petrol filler neck loads of other places also if got a sunroof check the seals on it. Milage is nothing history sells a car if you ask me

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 05:28:31 pm »
Hey Aled.

Ignore everything but condition and history, miles mean nothing. I'd avoid "scene" cars, get a decent one and buy up 2nd hand bits to do it yourself. Then you know the workmanship and parts are good.

And.... "but at the moment its not running due to the ignition module but told runs fine" I hate general horse-sh*t like this, what it means is, "engine is f*****" - unless he can prove it with another working module, I wouldn't believe a word of it. It's a £20 part and 5 minutes to swap  :confused:

Mike.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:48:07 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 05:37:28 pm »
As stated above, go for good history and good condition body work.

Tend to rust around windscreen wipers aswell.

Also if its been put on coilovers check what manufacturer they are, alot very low mk2's have ebay coilovers and give a shocking ride!

Good luck and get some pics up once your bro has got one, i love a mk2 golf  :happy2:

Offline N44LED

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 05:58:04 pm »

Thanks for the reply Matt, Mike and Bendy

ye wasnt worried about the millage to much. going to phone this guy up now and find a bit more out about it just in case just as over txt last nyt that he would have it running as the car is in nottinghamshire and is a 2.5hr drive for me.

The car its self from a couple of pictures is really tidy and well looked after and he said its got service history and receipts so just want to find out is it might not be that bad but not going to jump at it so will post up later and let you know how it went.

Thanks

Aled

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 10:44:01 pm »
Definitely ignore mileage. As above, rust is your ownly concern. All the other bits are cheap as chips to replace and maintain. You could rebuild the drivetrain for a few hundred. Engines can be picked up for peanuts. IF you can do most the work yourselves.

Mk2s prone to rust around filler cap. If there is rust there, then check the inside of the boot on the wheel arch behind the filler cap.

Check the sills.

Check the subframe mounting points. A lot of these have sheared off these days. They are a pita to fix. Carpets out and cut hole in the floor job to get to the captive nut.

Rear arches are problematic areas as well these days.

Avoid a driver etc thats had a Big Bumper GTI kit fitted to hide a multitude of sins.

Ive had 14x Mk2 GTIs (of varying kinds, from 8v GTI, to 16v to ABF engined 16V, to stripped caged cars, to VR6 converted cars), so if you need to know anything else let me know. Very hard to find a mint one these days that wont cost you the best part of £3k+. Drivers less so.

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 10:50:51 pm »
As above !

Rust spots on my car are a pillar, rear arches, only one of the sills, corner of tailgate, and inner wing

Good luck!
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 11:53:50 pm »
I traded in my 1988 8v Golf GTI Campaign in 1996 and it had 132k on it when I sold it, apart from an engine rebuild, it was my fault as I went from 3rd at max revs in 2nd accidentally (was aiming for 4th) and big black cloud and 3 bent valves later oops. Anyway apart from that It ran fine, I actually saw it in traffic 2 years later and beeped the guy and he pulled over, we had a chat and it was then I noticed it had only 135K on it still, I said you dont do many miles in it then?, he said he had done 38K in last 2 years, I politely informed him that I had sold it with 132K on it, he replied saying he bought it with 97K on it, oops looks like the garage wound it back a fair bit, he was not happy but glad I told him, we exchanged numbers as I had informed him i had found an old MOT for it for the year before I sold it that showed 123k.

I posted it to him and a few weeks later he called me saying he went to garage and asked them about mileage and they claimed no knowledge of any wrongdoing!, it was then he handed them the MOT i sent him, he ended up walking away with £250 in his pocket as he said he would contact both the police and trading standards if not, he even sent me a cheque for £50 as thanks :happy2:

Generally Bullet proof as long as looked after, my mates  mum had a met green Golf Driver years ago, she sold it with 197k on it and still running strong!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:56:47 pm by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 02:55:43 pm »
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 03:33:21 pm »
^^^^ :happy2: That looks Very clean  :happy2:

Offline N44LED

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 10:41:08 am »
looks really tidy that one thanks horatio. thanks for finding that.

If this one doesnt turn out but at the moment he`s got his heart set on this one until found out if it will be running.

have been talking to this lad and everything seams ok and he seams to  be genuine but suppose you can never really find out until you see it in person so hopfully after an email with a fair few questions on the details and requests for pictures should be reciving them later to day so will post some up for you to have a gander at.

Thanks for the replys