Make a donation

Author Topic: Engine coolant - loss but no sign of leak  (Read 11708 times)

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
Engine coolant - loss but no sign of leak
« on: March 08, 2012, 01:45:00 pm »
Hi, I was wondering if its natural for our machines to go through coolant more than ordinary hatchbacks. The coolant has gone from max to just under half way (towards min) in the space of a few months but there is no sign of a leak, my drive has no marks of damp or water when I drive of in the morning etc.

I need to go to halfrauds anyway so will pick up some quality coolant if anyone can recommend one. Ill top up for now and perform a flush at the weekend.

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
Re: Engine coolant - loss but no sign of leak
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 03:13:54 pm »
As the coolant system is sealed there should be no loss as such?. I would stick with the G12 coolant from the dealers.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 04:27:26 pm »
does the engine make any noises? it happened on my missus gt 170 bhp dsg the coolant was low up to the point that stop sign came up on the sign and the engine started making some strange noises, it turned out ot be water pump fecked and at 60000 km 2008 car totally unacceptable for me! that's the point where I stopped believing in today's cars built quality  :signLOL:
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline Trekmeister

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 10
  • Golf GT 140
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 04:32:53 pm »
Hi, I was wondering if its natural for our machines to go through coolant more than ordinary hatchbacks. The coolant has gone from max to just under half way (towards min) in the space of a few months but there is no sign of a leak, my drive has no marks of damp or water when I drive of in the morning etc.

I need to go to halfrauds anyway so will pick up some quality coolant if anyone can recommend one. Ill top up for now and perform a flush at the weekend.

Is this a GTI or TDI, I know the MK5 TDI's can suffer from porous heads.

Offline robby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 06:01:33 pm »
I had this problem on an A3 TDi which turned out to be a leaky radiator - common problem on A3s and MK5 Golfs - they leak at the bottom corners.

I also had a leak on a 2.0FSi Golf MK5 which turned out to be the water pump

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 06:06:44 pm »
Its a gti.. hmm looks like ill have to get me head ubder with a torch

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 07:05:08 pm »
I had minor coolant loss on my car from an untracable location. When I changed my cambelt and pump I found the coolant pump had a shaft leak.

I'm not saying it's your problem, just offering a possible.

By the way G12++ doesn't like to be mixed with other coolant - forms a horrible brown sludge!

Offline Sie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 07:06:00 pm »
There is a plastic junction on top of the gearbox bolted to side of the head, the little I ring goes and you get a small leak on to the gearbox. About £25 from dealers and PITA to do. Bet it's that I did mine when I did my coolant hoses no loss since. Quite common.

Sie
Fettled Laser Blue '05 GTi 5dr

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 10:47:51 pm »
Cheers for your advice fellas.ill double check hoses at the weekend and inspect for leaks after driving around. ill fill with g12 to max and monitor how long it takes to go down. Car has 70,000 on the clock and had a full service etc etc done so am hoping its nothing to do with that. sie do you have any pics or part no ?

Thanks

Offline Sie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 06:21:53 am »
Can be found in that thread mate pic and part no.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,10763.15.html

Sie
Fettled Laser Blue '05 GTi 5dr

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 02:12:08 pm »
I have the leak from the plastic coolant junction box on the side of the head as well, you wont see the fluid on the floor as it collects on top of the gear box, I find that the loss only happens during the colder times in the winter and mainly when the car is sat for awhile.  At the moment I am just topping up with G12 as required, getting the part changed is around £100-150 with labour depending on if the palstic part needs changing or just the washer.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.