Make a donation

Author Topic: XENON Headlights explain please  (Read 7518 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: XENON Headlights explain please
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 08:42:34 pm »
 :grin:

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 09:14:07 pm »
That used to be the case mate. But since the new MOT regs came into force in January it's been as per the above  :happy2:

New regs come in on the 1 april, the new regs state that if the tester is unsure if washers or level sensing is fitted they have to pass it,

Also yes ETKA does give a silly price on a bare xenon light, but im sure the trade discount of 28% would make a massive hole in the RRP, gonna call tomorrow i think TPS will prob do a light for £300 ish
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 09:31:44 pm »
Xenons only have a dipped xenon beam and a normal filament main beam.

Bi-Xenons have both dipped and Main xenon beam

Also those codes (I haven't looked yet) one will be for the passenger side and one for the drivers side as they are not universal :happy2: I would need to look what the other one is.

Uhm, don't think that is correct.

Mine has Bi-Xenon's and it still uses a halogen high/main beam. The difference as I understand it is that:

Xenon's as above have only the dipped beam as xenon with halogen as main.

Bi-Xenon's have as above, but the dipped beam has a flap built in which opens up and then the dipped beam is also a main beam when main beam is activated.

This means the bi-xenon has two modes, whereas the plain xenon has one mode.

I may be wrong, but that is the definition as I understand it and how my car works. The reason they do not used xenon as mains is constantly switching the ballast and ignitor on and off, when flashing lights, shortens their lifespan and you also have the issue with xenons taking time to get to full temperature.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 09:38:01 pm »
I haven't looked at a golf but iirc I think they are all as you have described come to think it from what I have read

But some cars do have both xenon dip and main bulbs :happy2:

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 02:02:24 pm »
Wow , Ive just checked those prices out , over £700 a side brand new? by the time youve fitted the wash system and had them fitted , over £1500 if using all new bits?  :surprised:

Called TPS plymouth today a zenon headlight trade is £330, so ive seen a pair on ebay sell for £550 in good nick you can have a pair of brand new ones for £660, ok so thats a big difference but my point is there brand new
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP