Make a donation

Author Topic: Some Clutch Advice Please :)  (Read 3999 times)

Offline DarkSideJohn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Some Clutch Advice Please :)
« on: May 16, 2012, 08:49:41 pm »
Hey folks ,
Probably a question that has been asked a few times before ,I have searched for it and still been scratching my head over the right way to go... probably just confusing myself.

What I am basically doing is looking around a replacement clutch before I start modifying my car in any real major way.
My car is an 04 GT TDI (140 ) which i believe is the BKD engine code if that helps y'all. Has just about covered 90k Miles in a non modified state , and too my knowledge hasn't had the clutch changed in that time.
Ive always had an opinion of its better to be safe than sorry when it comes to anything mechanical , id rather get it done right by a pro then have it bodged together by some monkey.

Im looking to get my car up to around the 170-190 BHP mark, which will probably take the shape of a Re-Map and Turbo Back Exhaust , and as i say to handle that power i want to get the clutch done before anything else , and probably the flywheel too ( Better safe than sorry )

I guess my question takes on many angles , some people have said to keep with the stock setup and it will be fine , which is a view i accept but cant help the niggling thought in my mind that its done 90k and hasnt been changed...

Ive been looking around at the various options that people have been suggesting so far and as of now i have found the following.

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/southbend-silent-single-mass-flywheel-clutch-kit-for-vw-02q-6-speed-tdi.html

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/sachs-2-0-tdi-6-speed-02q-dual-mass-flywheel-and-clutch-kit.html

http://www.awesomegti.com/parts/transmission/clutch-and-flywheel/helix-road-clutch-kit-golf-mk5-2-0-gt-tdi-eng-azv-bkd-bmm-2006

Im basically looking for a clutch setup that i can have installed and then basically forget about.

So please excuse my rambling and probably being asked the same question again...

What would people advise I do ?
What setup should i go for based on how i plan to upgrade other things ?
What would people do if in my situation ?
If people have already done similar clutch upgrades , what are your opinions , real world reviews ?

thanks in advance for any answers you choose to give people , they will be most appreciated !

John

p.s allthough my name suggests it im not assocaited with DarkSide Developments , im just a nerd !  :nerd:
'04 GT TDI 140 | Remapped | Cold Air Intake | WALK | TBE

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
Re: Some Clutch Advice Please :)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 09:42:00 pm »
The misses drives an altea with the same bkd engine.  It's on 112k and been on Revo stage 1 for around 25k or so.  Put a decat on it 5k ago and removed the egr, egr cooler etc at the weekend.  Not sure what power its running but it drives really well.

Still running the stock clutch and flywheel.  Should have the stage 2 file on the car next week so I will see how the clutch handles that.

The southbend 'silent' kit fits well, but isn't always silent.  The ones I have heard were as loud as the helix single mass kits which are lighter weight too.

As you are not going mad power then I would go for the Sachs kit with dual mass.  Keeps the quietness and can handle the power too.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline DarkSideJohn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 10:37:57 pm »
Thanks for your response there Alex , its most appreciated

Ive heard things about the apparently "silent" kit as well , with them being rather overpriced and not actually doing what they say.

The Sachs kit from DarkSide Devlopements seems like the most logical choice , as you say , not going mad on power , as at the end of the it is my daily driver and I live in a town , so huge power would be somewhat wasted. , Would anyone know what the torque rating for that kit is ? If ive done my maths and research right , i want to be going to the 170-190 bhp mark as i say which should equate too around the 300-310 llbs torque

Just had another look at the kit on there website , the cost is £385 with a "release bearing" or £345 without , got no clue what that means if anyone would care to explain in layman's terms

The next thing is , how do i get it fitted , there's no way on earth i would try and tackle it myself , quite happy to have someone fit it for me , having a quick look at the 'ole google maps , the guys over at DarkSide Delopements are about a 2 hour journey away from me ,so that would be at least 4 hours before any actually fitting takes place

Hopefully it is the kind of job that can be done in a day / afternoon , just trying to find somewhere to get it done to a high standard and not costing the earth.
Do i dare venture towards my local VW dealer to see if they will fit the parts that i supply ?
Im west midlands based by the way , so if anyone knows any good places , do shout up
'04 GT TDI 140 | Remapped | Cold Air Intake | WALK | TBE

Offline AndrewJB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
  • die gelbe Baron
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 10:01:12 pm »
My Southbend kit is on ebay at the moment.... VRSAlex removed it from my Leon FR TDI
2014 Seat Leon Cupra 280 VWR Springs, VWR Intake, REVO Stage1
LeonOC.com & TDISport.com Administrator

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 10:13:35 pm »
The misses drives an altea with the same bkd engine.  It's on 112k and been on Revo stage 1 for around 25k or so.  Put a decat on it 5k ago and removed the egr, egr cooler etc at the weekend.  Not sure what power its running but it drives really well.

Still running the stock clutch and flywheel.  Should have the stage 2 file on the car next week so I will see how the clutch handles that.

The southbend 'silent' kit fits well, but isn't always silent.  The ones I have heard were as loud as the helix single mass kits which are lighter weight too.

As you are not going mad power then I would go for the Sachs kit with dual mass.  Keeps the quietness and can handle the power too.
take it stage 2 is the down pipe decatted and a air filter  Alex

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 10:24:57 pm »
That's the one.  Stage 2 gets rid of the egr faults and asks for slightly more boost.

Not sure if Revo will ever do a map for a hybrid, but I fancy one on the altea.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook