Make a donation

Author Topic: Had 40000 mile service today.... cam belt next  (Read 3136 times)

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
Re: Had 40000 mile service today.... cam belt next
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 04:03:29 pm »
Just had a look at the paperwork from my 40000 mile service at the stealers... it appears they haven't changed the spark plugs !!! is that right as i thought it was a major service  :confused:

they wont change them until 60,000 miles. Just out of interest, did they use Long Life oil?

Rich

Seems a long stint for a set of plugs... where does it state 60k for the TFSI engine...  I have a 3 year service plan and Just makes me wonder if they would of changed them if I was paying the bill... The engine is running fine so I suppose why worry.
As for the oil I have no idea... but the schedule is set to time distance plus I do an oil and filter change after 6 months myself (Castrol Edge 5w 40)

the spark plug intervals is in the service manual (it is for mine). For the oil, check the service book and see if the "long life oil" box is ticked for this service. The TFSI should be on long life oil (regardless of which service regime).

Rich

Offline Tortaruga

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 04:25:56 pm »
The plugs are a 60000 mile change because they're very high quality.
'07 Red manual

DSG-GTI

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 04:41:56 pm »
Just had a look at the paperwork from my 40000 mile service at the stealers... it appears they haven't changed the spark plugs !!! is that right as i thought it was a major service  :confused:

they wont change them until 60,000 miles. Just out of interest, did they use Long Life oil?

Rich

Seems a long stint for a set of plugs... where does it state 60k for the TFSI engine...  I have a 3 year service plan and Just makes me wonder if they would of changed them if I was paying the bill... The engine is running fine so I suppose why worry.
As for the oil I have no idea... but the schedule is set to time distance plus I do an oil and filter change after 6 months myself (Castrol Edge 5w 40)

the spark plug intervals is in the service manual (it is for mine). For the oil, check the service book and see if the "long life oil" box is ticked for this service. The TFSI should be on long life oil (regardless of which service regime).

Rich

So what does it say in your manual bud.... the wife is out in the car at the min so i cant get at the manual...

To be honest I'm not to worried about the longlife oil or not debate... my work takes me into various oil blenders... Fuchs oil's in Stoke for one.... same batch of oil feeding multiple "Brand" filling stations  :surprised:

Edge 5w40   5w30  meets and exceeds spec for the TFSI engine.

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 04:52:23 pm »

Rich

Point taken on the oil - i was more interested in the inconsistancies in the type of oil used by various VW dealershisp. Totally agree with the Castrol Edge bit - is use 5w30 every 6 months in mine!

My manual states every 60k for spark plugs on the TFSI engine. However, i change mine every 2 years (every major service basically).

Rich

Rich

So what does it say in your manual bud.... the wife is out in the car at the min so i cant get at the manual...

To be honest I'm not to worried about the longlife oil or not debate... my work takes me into various oil blenders... Fuchs oil's in Stoke for one.... same batch of oil feeding multiple "Brand" filling stations  :surprised:

Edge 5w40   5w30  meets and exceeds spec for the TFSI engine.

Offline Frodo-anni

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 05:19:59 pm »
Midland VW another suggestion for you area.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

DSG-GTI

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 05:28:35 pm »
 :smiley:  :smiley:

To be honest bud I don't think the oil that VW use is any different for longlife or time distance... more of what type of journeys the car is used for to what they set it at. If you have a company car stonking up and down the motorway all its life then extending the oil change interval (longlife) is probably fine as the engine is always hot and the oil works well in breaking down carbon deposits etc, I was told by a Tech in Fuchs oils that a semi synthetic oil is better for engines that do shorter running times as it deals with condensation better than a fully synthetic oil....  im no oil expert so i just change it twice a year  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline Tinytim

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 11:01:36 pm »
Looks like I'll be heading I Sheffield soon to get my cam belt done.