Make a donation

Author Topic: Which diff????  (Read 4195 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Which diff????
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 07:19:24 pm »

Thanks for the advice. I think the general concensus is the quaife then. Anyone know who supplies them, are they direct from quaife? Price? Thanks all for spending more of my hard earned  :drinking:

....You are only getting replies which recommend the Quaife because there are very few Wavetrac users on the forum. I'm not saying which is better because I have no experience of the Wavetrac and because only Quaife and Peloquin (American) were available when I chose my Quaife diff in 2008.

You'd have nothing to worry about if you got a Quaife but do also check out what the Wavetrac has to offer. I think Danish Jake has one, and also someone else. HTH  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 07:52:05 pm »
Happy quaife owner here! One of the best mods for spirited driving!

TT Turbo organised group buy here. He might be able to sort you out at great price

Paul
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 01:42:27 am »
Been pondering a diff again myself lately.

Have noticed that a couple of new cars recently have had Drexler 'slippy' units fitted. (New VXR and Alpina B3 GT3).
But from using the search on here all the only info on Drexler points to them being very expensive. So do they operate in a different way, like the Wavetrac perhaps or are they made out of Kryptonite or something equally exotic?

Also does anyone know if the Peloquin and Wavetracs are fit and forget, like the Quaife appears to be with their lifetime warranty etc?

Had talked myself out of getting one, didn't 'need' it I said.
Now the diff 'want-o-meter' has swung back onto 'gotta have/gotta get'... oh dear.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 01:47:20 am »

After going in alex's car with a Diff, i now know what all the fuss is about!!  :driver:

....O you of little faith!  :laugh: How long have we been telling you how good a diff is, Rich?

I have never questioned the diff.............. just other things!  :wink:

Offline Cupra R

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 05:54:46 am »
Happy Wavetrac owner here.

Does exactly what I wanted it to do. Grip/drive out of corners has increased no end.

However, having never driven a car before fitted with a limited slip diff, I have nothing to compare it against.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 08:49:04 am »
I have the wavetrac as RR states and are more than pleased with it. Actually when ordering you are able to get it customized to your driving needs as it also as RR states are a bit different that the Peloquin and Quaife options  in it has a viscous solution in it which in zero G situations allows more power to the wheel that has a bit of grip and depending on what plates that are fitted you will gain different driving caracteristics.
Thumbs up from me to the Wavetrac solution  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2012, 09:19:16 am »
After going in alex's car with a Diff, i now know what all the fuss is about!!  :driver:

I was impressed with the amount of front end grip on his car.  And hes on normal road tyres as well.  He has the Hi torque Peloquin iirc

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2012, 10:15:30 am »

I was impressed with the amount of front end grip on his car.  And hes on normal road tyres as well.  He has the Hi torque Peloquin iirc

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: Bonkers!!!

Offline Statller-Stevo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2012, 10:40:52 am »
Fitted both and driven cars in anger with both diffs
My own has a Quaife fitted no particular reason over wavetrac apart from I got a good deal on it
Even on the road you can feel the diff working although often it tends to have you exciting corners at higher speeds than you really should  :driver:
I was always told the wavetrac deployed the power better in situations such as the first right downhill at Donington ??  I think it was a wavetrac reseller who told me that
Great mod IMHO

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2012, 10:55:59 am »
Fitted both and driven cars in anger with both diffs
My own has a Quaife fitted no particular reason over wavetrac apart from I got a good deal on it
Even on the road you can feel the diff working although often it tends to have you exciting corners at higher speeds than you really should  :driver:
I was always told the wavetrac deployed the power better in situations such as the first right downhill at Donington ??  I think it was a wavetrac reseller who told me that
Great mod IMHO

Steve, can you let me know how much please + fitting cheers Gaz

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2012, 03:43:43 pm »

....Slow in and fast out is the way I have been taught and you can get back on the power earlier in a corner with a diff (subject to road conditions). Who dictates what speed you "should" exit a corner, Stevo?

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2012, 03:50:31 pm »
Fast in fast out... Trail braking... ;-)

Offline Statller-Stevo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2012, 06:47:03 pm »
Quote from: RedRobin link=topic=57420.msg645855#msg645855 date=

[/quote

....Slow in and fast out is the way I have been taught and you can get back on the power earlier in a corner with a diff (subject to road conditions). Who dictates what speed you "should" exit a corner, Stevo?

My numb right foot of course !!

When I test the diffs after fitting there's a certain stretch of road I use, the camber is devine, its a slight uphill long left then quick right eventually levelling out to a nice long fast gentle left again, it can upset a stock car quite easily but with the diff you can tighten the front up using the throttle, good feeling and it's the total opposite effect of an open diff car, problem is with most of the FWD cars were seeing now starting at 350 to 450 hp the speed build up in third or fourth while doing it even on light throttle leaves you sometimes existing well into three figures, thing is the cars feel very planted still while doing it (in the dry  :wink:)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2012, 08:47:23 pm »

Fast in fast out... Trail braking... ;-)

....My habit is not to trail brake on the road but to do my braking (however strongly) while the car is still in a straight line. Trail braking requires lots of practice.

Offline Aaroncupra

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2012, 10:50:49 pm »

I have a wavetrac in the cupra, love it, glad I went for it,

The car feels far more useable