Make a donation

Author Topic: VW Driver - Special R Edition  (Read 3646 times)

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
Re: VW Driver - Special R Edition
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2012, 07:27:30 pm »
AST's FTW but im biased obviously with them being on mine. :evilgrin:

Awesome  :drool: :drool: :drool:

Proper front and back coilovers  :driver:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2012, 07:29:42 pm »

Must admit, the AST setups are the first ones that I have seen which actually use a coilover for the rears as well as the fronts.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2012, 07:31:33 pm »

Must admit, the AST setups are the first ones that I have seen which actually use a coilover for the rears as well as the fronts.

AFAIK usually its only the top end proper track coilover setups that do.

I know that the ones fitted to the APR Golf R is their street version, but I think even those are proper front and back coilovers too. Probably explains why it handles so well.

Offline geordie56

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2012, 08:27:32 pm »
I've had experience with a lot of different setups over the yrs now being in my late 30's, on a lot of different vehicles. It isn't a biased opinion in any shape or form, but the Ast's are just phenomenal! One of the biggest benefits I'm finding with the rear setup being proper coilovers aswell is the back end feels a lot more planted and I think this is due to being permanently connected to the chassis as opposed to a spring being lodged in between. Yes I know it is connected via the shock, but it just doesn't have the same effect. They are night and day difference over my kw v3's I had fitted previous, when set up on full hard and the ast's on full soft they are still firmer. John from the brief experience I've had on road with the, everyone is different I could live with them on full soft but it just depends what you want. I am not using mine everyday like you pal so it may be a bit much, but that also depends on of you are going to set up the current choice you have in mind on full hard. Cheers.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2012, 10:22:27 pm »
Seeing yours is making me want AST's again.

I have the full 2012 price list infront of me. Not cheap, but worth the money  :driver:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2012, 10:28:37 pm »
If I was to buy coilovers, the only ones I would consider would be the AST setup on the demo APR Golf R.  All the the ones Ive experienced have been much harsher for road use and just too much for daily pottering about.

Im only running springs, ARBs and poly bushes and mine its an absolute riot to drive, really responsive yet comfortable.  Ill probably leave mine as is tbh, as much as id love it to be a 100% track hack, ultimately its used on the road 95% of the time.