Make a donation

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 3025 times)

gaz b

Advice please
« on: January 31, 2010, 07:26:36 pm »

Washed the car today and found a few light scratches across the bonnet. Would I be better to get paint correction from a detailer or can these be removed by hand? Tried Mcguiars Scratch X but not much difference! :ashamed:

Also I was using Mer shampoo to wash the car and Mcguiars tyres gel but these are running low. Any recomendations on what to replace these with? I would like to get them through autoperfection if possible. :smiley:

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 07:55:57 pm »
Dodo Juice Born to be mild shampoo is awesome.

For the stratch, do the fingernail test. Run your fingernail overthe scratch. If it catches your nail, it will need painting. If not, can be filled in using a filler polish such as Autoglym Super Resin Polish or polished out using a cutting polish.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

gaz b

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 07:59:42 pm »

Cheers Stealth. Can't feel anything with my nail. Do you recon the Autoglym stuff would be best ? :happy2:

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 08:01:35 pm »

For the stratch, do the fingernail test. Run your fingernail overthe scratch. If it catches your nail, it will need painting. If not, can be filled in using a filler polish such as Autoglym Super Resin Polish or polished out using a cutting polish.

Not completely true.  If you can see the clearcoat is broken then you will need a respray.  However if you can feel it with your nail but it hasn't broke through clearcoat you will find that it will probably wet send out relatively easily.  Take a look on detailing world to see if there are any pro detailers near you.

VAG clearcoat is very hard and you wont touch it with megs scratch x or anything by hand to be honest.  I had 2 football marks on my car recently which left lots of marring in sunlight, scratch x didn't touch it, menz on a 4" spot pad by machine left it perfect in one hit

gaz b

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 08:13:06 pm »

Thank you Winrya, :happy2: How much would I expect to pay for a detailing session? :ashamed:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 08:16:32 pm »
two options:

1, Get it sorted with a profession detailer, auto perfection if they are near you. if you wanna pm me your location i can put you in touch with a local pro. The thing is your not going to get anywhere trying to get rid of scratches on vag paint. your just going to put even more scratches in trying.

2, fill the scratches in with something like autoglym SRP. its a temp measure and youll get limited results, but this is the way to go, not scratch X!

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 08:19:56 pm »

Thank you Winrya, :happy2: How much would I expect to pay for a detailing session? :ashamed:

for what it sounds like, nothing too major, i charge forum members only £229 for an enhancement detail.

That gives you about 2-3 hours of machine polishing around the whole car, which will give about a 60-70% correction. The whole job takes About 8-9 hours in total.

for a full correction your looking at about 450 plus.

gaz b

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 08:36:28 pm »
two options:

1, Get it sorted with a profession detailer, auto perfection if they are near you. if you wanna pm me your location i can put you in touch with a local pro. The thing is your not going to get anywhere trying to get rid of scratches on vag paint. your just going to put even more scratches in trying.

2, fill the scratches in with something like autoglym SRP. its a temp measure and youll get limited results, but this is the way to go, not scratch X!

for what it sounds like, nothing too major, i charge forum members only £229 for an enhancement detail.

That gives you about 2-3 hours of machine polishing around the whole car, which will give about a 60-70% correction. The whole job takes About 8-9 hours in total.

for a full correction your looking at about 450 plus.

Cheers JPC . :happy2:Think I will just toss the Scratch X1 I have tried it a few times and TBH it has never worked! :sad1:

I am based in West Lothian,  Scotland  Right between Edinburgh and Glasgow. If you know anybody close to me that would be ace. Gutted I am not closer to yourself. It would have been cool to get a fellow member on the case!

Wouldn't be looking to get it done until the end of March-ish. By which time I will have the new wheels on and the car will be looking HOT for the summer!!! :star:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 08:38:05 pm by gaz b »

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 08:38:01 pm »
oh i dont have a clue about areas in scotland.

A few who spring to mind who might be close..

Detail Ecosse,
Ultimate finish
Dave KG

gaz b

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 09:06:25 pm »

Thanks again J!  :happy2:

Offline JPC

• Thank You