Make a donation

Author Topic: Hit and run  (Read 5343 times)

Offline c0v3rt

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Hit and run
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2013, 07:35:26 pm »
I'm having a nightmare getting my car sorted at the repair centre!
I spoke to their engineer last Monday, who told me all parts where now in stock and mechanical work would be started.
Randomly got a call the next day to tell me the same: everything had been delivered today and would be starting work.

I'd initially been told turnaround would be 10 working days to complete, so thought I'd be getting it back Friday this week, or maybe Monday next week.

I ring yesterday (Monday) to be told they were now waiting for extra parts so they could start the mech work! No idea if they've started anything!

I ask when I will be getting it back and am told they do not give turnaround times as they can't guarantee what further damage they may find once repairs are underway. They cannot say when me h work can be done so cannot say when bodywork will be done either.

I persisted with this question as I really need to know when I'm getting it back. My life feels like its on hold - no courtesy car and no other car in household, so am pretty stuck for leisure time, and busing it to work at £8 a day (plus my girlfriends fare at same price).
On top of this my tax and mot are due next week and not having a date for return makes it a bit difficult to book with my preferred garage.

I rang the insurance company (aviva) to see if they could get any answers, but am told the same!
Spent ages on hold and trying to be understood by the non-English speaking operative!
Ask to be transferred to a manager and get a load of grief saying they'll only tell me the same.
Eventually get put through to another non-English speaking operative to be asked why I need my car back today!!! Obviously something got lost in translation there!

I explain the whole situation again and am told he can put me through to the garage, I decline this - I pay aviva the premium so figure they can sort it at the end of the day.
Get put on hold again while waiting for him to find out what's going on - then hangs up on me!

I thought maybe they'd call me today - no, nothing from either insurance co or the repair centre!

I've been with aviva for 5years with no issues, never had to claim before so had no idea how shocking their customer service is!
I've also read horror stories of the repair centres shoddy work and also keeping cars for 3 months plus!
(Company doing the work is called Solus)
I don't understand how they can say their policy is 'no turnaround times' - why would anyone hand over their car without knowing when they'd complete the job!
Or is this just how it is for insurance jobs!?!

Has anyone got any advice of what to do to get an eta on work, or speed up work or anything?

I think this car is cursed; only had since October 2012, had throttle body issues in November which took a month to sort, and now all this!
Due to the weather I've not had much time to really enjoy the gti so it's feeling like a massive wallet drain without any fun - rapidly falling out of love with it :-(

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2013, 07:46:45 pm »
I'd always take my car to my preferred repair garage. Then this hassle wouldn't happen. They will keep the car IMO as long as possible to charge insurance as much as possible.

With bus fairs being £80 a week why don't you go rent a car for 2 weeks?

Offline c0v3rt

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2013, 08:03:41 pm »
I didn't have an option of what garage I could use - when I phoned after accident I was told it had to go there.

I'll look into hire cars but am worried about something happening to that the way my luck is running at the moment!

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2013, 08:16:39 pm »
It is YOUR right to say where it goes to be fixed, providing you have provided several quotes
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline c0v3rt

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 10:22:12 pm »
I definately wasn't offered an alternative garage - maybe as it was recovery/bank holiday?

I guess I'm stuck with it there now they are part way through?

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2013, 10:30:35 pm »
You don't get offered that because they want you in their garages that give cheap quotes.

I have had to demand I take it to my own garage in the past.

Offline c0v3rt

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2013, 08:21:12 pm »
And the saga continues...

After much complaining I managed to get a courtesy car supplied to me - so all good on that front, no more buses!

I spoke to them this afternoon and was told all was on target for me to get my golf back on Monday 29th.
Then get a missed call and voicemail at 6pm saying there is a delay!

According to the repair centre:
The replacement alloy is not the correct size for my car - mine are 18s, new one is 17 as that is standard for this car.
My current alloys are replicas.

I can't check my alloy stamps as its with the repair centre but thought there were genuine - admittidly I didn't didn't ask when buying the car, but as they had been freshly refurbed I presumes genuine (mainly as cost to replace reps would be similar cost to a refurb).

Can anyone tell by my photo on page 1 if they are genuine monzas?

If they are reps, no probs, they are what they are.
What I'm more concerned about is being shafted with one replica alloy if they are actually genuine ones!

Thanks in advance.

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2013, 10:11:12 pm »
They look genuine to me just not finished in the usual polished finish they would be

Offline c0v3rt

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2013, 10:21:31 pm »
Thanks nodz.
They were done in a dark grey powdercoat so not standard finish.
What markings would I be looking for to confirm genuine?

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2013, 10:35:27 pm »
On the back on each spoke something will be stamped, one will have the vw badge with a part number (there's about 4 different ones for 18" Monza's iirc), 7.5j on another spoke and et51 on another.

Last time I checked they were ~£430 per alloy

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2013, 10:35:30 pm »
On the back on each spoke something will be stamped, one will have the vw badge with a part number (there's about 4 different ones for 18" Monza's iirc), 7.5j on another spoke and et51 on another.

Last time I checked they were ~£430 per alloy

Offline c0v3rt

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2013, 11:32:53 pm »
Nice one, thanks for the info.
I might have to take a visit to the repair centre to get this sorted.

Former owner thought they were genuine too, but not 100% sure.
I might ring vw customer service as well to see if they can tell me what the car was spec'd with when new.

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2013, 11:37:10 pm »
There's a sticker to the left of the spare wheel well under the carpet in the boot and that has all the option codes on it from when it left the production line. You then type these into an online converter and it tells you what the codes mean. I posted what the 17" option code was a few weeks back, I'll see if I can find the post

Offline c0v3rt

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2013, 07:57:21 pm »

Managed to get a picture of the rim from repair.
These are the only markings on there apparently, so am guessing this confirms they are reps?

I've got no control over the replacement they source, how do make sure they get an rim of equal quality?
Are all reps the same or some better than others?

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2013, 09:34:26 pm »
That is a replica wheel 100%.
'07 Red manual