Make a donation

Author Topic: car cleaning plan  (Read 1164 times)

Offline RifGTi

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
car cleaning plan
« on: October 08, 2013, 07:41:24 pm »
I've recently got into this aspect of owning a car . I began with some megs gold class car shampoo and conditioner with some megs nxt wax which does make the car look good

I recently bought some g3 scratch remover
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&productId=804685&categoryId=255240&langId=-1

which I tried on a friend's car and suprisingly it worked well. It then hit me that this will most likly strip away the wax etc for it to do it's job.

I'm now thinking of buying an autoglym clay bar kit which come with the detailer spray clay bar and the super resin polish

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&productId=764457&categoryId=255233&langId=-1

only thing is of which order now to use them cuz I'm planning the use the scratch remover on quite abit of the car to get rid of swirls too

Will the best way be...

1) wash with megs
2) USE the clay bar
3) use the scratch remover
4) use super resin polish
5) use wax

Or should I use some fairy liquid and use the order above to build up the layers from scratch ( no pun intended lol ) ?

any opinions are welcome

many thanks
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 07:43:37 pm by RifGTi »

Offline greygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
Re: car cleaning plan
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 08:49:29 pm »
First off don't use washing up liquid ! Use these steps for a hand polish/detailing and you won't go far wrong(body only)

1:wash car (strong shampoo mix)
2:decontaminate car with fallout (iron) remover
3:rinse then repeat again with tar remover
4:rinse
5:clay full car(fine clay) Meg's system is fine
6:rinse ,wash and dry full car
7:use scratch remover very carefully on bad marks/scratches
8:give the car a coat of autoglym SRP or AF triple
9:wax car 2 coats if time permits
10:use AF finale quick detailer or Meg's quick detailer after every wash to maintain and top up shine

:happy2:

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 08:54:53 pm by greygti »

Offline Itguy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 08:50:33 pm »
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Won't be long until you've got a meggs polisher - much easier to get rid of those swirls than g3 scratch remover and a lot safer than you think too (when using diminishing polishes).

I've got the meggs claybar kit but the make doesn't really matter. Just make sure you lube up  :P by using enough quick detailer spray with the clay. Warm the clay up in your hands too before use and if you drop it by accident, throw it away. Clay is one of the most magic steps of cleaning a car.

As for wax, there are loads on the market but I love the new stuff in Halfords: http://www.g3pro.com/products.php?page=all&select=pastewax

It's by far the best wax I've ever used. goes on like butter and then has a quick dwell time then is removed so much quicker than other waxes. A real joy to use and lasts for ages.

Make sure you have before and after pics  :happy2:

Offline RifGTi

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 10:53:51 pm »
Thanks for the reply guys really appreciate it . I'll keep all the products in mind once I've finished using these products and experiment a little .

Just Wondering what product will be best to decontaminate the car with ? And is there anything special I need to use to remove tar ?