Make a donation

Author Topic: Serious knocking sound from passenger side :/  (Read 5284 times)

Offline SooperD

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
Serious knocking sound from passenger side :/
« on: November 03, 2013, 10:15:00 pm »
Was driving the car as normal down the motorway and suddenly the ABS, ESP and Tyre pressure sensor light came on.. Didnt notice any problems but was my exit so slowly came to the roundabout.. As i then pulled off I had a horrible knock/bang coming from the front left (passenger side) . I turned off left and the noise went away but as soon as i put any right hand on the steering wheel (straight or turning right) the noise is there and doesnt feel or sound good at all. I parked it up in a pub carpark and had a quick look but it was dark and pissing it down so couldnt really have a great look around..

The wheel didnt look to be sitting at 90 to the road but i cant be 100% sure. Also when stopped i moved the steering wheel left to right and have a loud clunk. When my friend did it as i looked at the actual wheel it moved very oddly, like it was almost coming off. Checked the wheel nuts and they are all tight.

I had both the front wheel bearings changed about 500 miles ago (supposedly). Could this be the issue? Or do you have any other thoughts? Im going to go back down tomorrow and have a look before i decide where to get it towed.. (my house to do repairs on something myself if its not the wheel bearing) or to the garage who changed the wheel bearings not so long ago to sort this mess out.

Thanks in advance.

D

Offline SooperD

• Taking part
  • Thank You
Re: Serious knocking sound from passenger side :/
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 12:19:11 pm »
After speaking to several people im thinking its the driveshaft. Im getting the car towed to a friends garage today so hopefully will know more then.

I had to drive for about 1/2 mile to get it somewhere safe.. Would I have caused anything worse to happen by doing this rather than stopping straight away? Im hoping ive not damaged the gearbox etc :(

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 12:37:28 pm »
Any (loads of) grease in the wheelarch?

Offline SooperD

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 12:40:08 pm »
When i had a look lastnight I couldnt really see anything as it was dark and raining but the driveshaft was still attached with boot intact on the wheel side but couldnt see the gearbox side..

Offline SooperD

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 03:52:19 pm »
Just had it looked at by a friend who has a garage.. Took the car off the floor and the wheel was practically held on by the brake caliper. Took the wheel off and the hub bolt fell onto the floor.. No stripping of threads nothing. Never heard of this before. Anyone else had this occur?

Im thinking it wasnt tightened correctly when i had my wheel bearings fitted 2 months ago.. Where do i stand with regards to this? The wheel bearing sounds as if its knackered again now due to the bearing not being compressed by the nut as it should be.

Am I able to get this fixed for free from the garage that originally did the wheel bearing? + any other damage it may have caused (front disc is scored very badly)

Cheers all.

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 04:11:43 pm »
The bolts shouldn't be re-used and they require a beefy ~150lb/ft of torquing - iirc there was a revised bolt that required less torquing, perhaps they used the latter number on the early bolt... not gospel that, just what I think I remember --- defo. give them a call though mate, good luck. :happy2:

Offline SooperD

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 04:25:32 pm »
Cheers Scotty :) .. I just re did the torque before driving it home from my mates garage.. 250nm, then 90º more. then back off 180º then 250nm tight. It was 3 months ago when they did the bearings but it should stiill never come loose like that unless it wasnt tightened in the first place.. Ive gotta "gingerly" drive it there tomorrow and they said they would check it out and sort it so fingers crossed they keep their word :)

Thanks!

Offline Meeky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 04:28:09 pm »
I get exactly the same 3 lights on my dashboard but they go off when I turn the car off and on again.

No banging noise but a wee clicking noise coming from the passenger side now and again?  :scared:

Had wheel bearings replaced in Feb this year with other work and no problems til these lights 2 weeks ago.

Getting left in for free diagnostics in my work to see what the problem is as I have heard numerous reasons for these lights  :sad1:

Pain in the ass  :fighting:
Vw Golf MK5 GTi '05 Diamond Black

Offline SooperD

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 04:32:10 pm »
Might be worth checking the CV joint etc? I have no idea what triggers these lights but someone told me theres a pick up on the back of the wheel bearing? ?

The clicking noise does sound like a CV tho from what ive read and heard about symptoms with those..

Id get them to check the hub bolt while your at it mate.. I was doing 70 down the M4 last night when this happened to me.. Lucky it was my exit as i dread to think what would have happened if id carried on at that speed with the wheel being held on by the caliper alone!