Make a donation

Author Topic: No success sorting broadband / router issue....... IT help appreciated!  (Read 1168 times)

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
Hi,

Would really appreciate some help. Had broadband speed issues, but while waiting for Plusnet / BT to make adjustments (SNR and interleaving), which seemed to fix the fault, I treated myself to a new Netgear D6200 router modem, as I wanted to remotely view a USB hard drive. This works really well, but......

I keep getting internet connection drops, whether wired or wireless. Am able to connect to the router when internet drops, but no internet! Netgear support had me resetting the damn thing so many times, and changed a few settings, but no joy!

Plusnet have been good, but confirmed that they have no record of the drops their end. What can I do, as I really like the router. Can exchange it, but suspect will have the same issue??

Many thanks

Offline Biano44

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 14
  • The CC GT 200
Re: No success sorting broadband / router issue....... IT help appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 11:10:02 pm »
I'm not an IT person by any means but my last router (netgear) would drop out every 10 mins or so......I tried everything and nothing worked.
Swapped it for a new one and never had an issue since.

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 02:10:28 am »
Go back to the old router
If the problem stops then it's the new router. Most likely a configuration/authentication probem rather than a flat out fault within the hardware.

I had an older Netgear DNsomething or other, which was very good.

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 07:20:41 am »
Thanks for your replies. Good idea, I will dig out the old router.

Only issue is that tomorrow is the last day I can get a no quibble replacement for the router, so wondering if it is worth trying a new one....

Thanks

Offline dokez

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 07:55:07 am »
Get your old router back on.

I personally had problems before when interleaving was on. So i opted off but was capped at 2mb of speed however i had a stable line for a long long time.
Interleaving just gave me lag and loads of drop outs.

Offline Biano44

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 14
  • The CC GT 200
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 08:07:20 am »
Thanks for your replies. Good idea, I will dig out the old router.

Only issue is that tomorrow is the last day I can get a no quibble replacement for the router, so wondering if it is worth trying a new one....

Thanks

Swap it anyway and remove your doubt! But putting your old router back on is also a great idea. 

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 09:02:25 am »
Is the router/modem on the main telephone line with fresh a ADSL filter?  

It is a good idea to test a previously working setup.

I was going to suggest changing the Wireless channel but your experiencing a wired drop out too.  If the old router works get into config and copy all settings to new router and re-test.  Is the router running a firewall?

My old DGN3500 was constantly dropping out, flaky bloody thing... I eventually binned it and bought an ASUS AC66U, the difference is night and day, a hugely stable connection with massive range.  We've also just recently moved to Fibre, but the engineer wouldn't install the AC with their box, so when he went I reconfigured it to work with the AC and works really well, extending my wireless network even further with one working as an extender... Can get full bars WIFI at top of garden on iPad.

I take it you've also tried different computers, devices to connect too?  To rule out a computer setup issue, firewall etc.  router firmware can also have a major effect on its stability I've found.  But if you can't get it sorted, send it back and grab the ASUS, you won't be disappointed. :happy2:  Assuming you have a modem to work with it....

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 08:45:05 pm »
Well, thanks everyone.... An update.......

Returned the router, and although tempted to get the same model, decided to change to a D6300 Netgear. Wanted to stay with Netgear if I could, as I really like the remote access interface/apps.

Anyway, set it up, and made no changes to the settings that Netgear advised with the previous router. Importantly, I did not upgrade the firmware when prompted, just in case! So far, so good - no drops. Got to give it a bit longer to be certain.