Make a donation

Author Topic: Show me your head unit  (Read 21094 times)

Offline zub-gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
Re: Show me your head unit
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2009, 07:39:56 pm »

Waywell..... Yes !!

I have had it up and running for the past 6 weeks and am very pleased with it..
It does pretty much everything... I doesn't do everything perfectly, but it tries !

Radio: Reasonable reception, tendency to try and re-tune itself too quickly, however setting can fix this, I'm about to install a twin fakra with diversity booster to make use of the factory twin antenna. Main niggle is that it only shows the station name when you listening to that station and saves that stations to memory as a frequency rather than a station name.

DVD: Works very well and plays most formats of avi, divX and Xvid etc.

TV: I have just upgraded to a better antenna, and am very impressed with the reception on the DVB-T digital.

USB
: Excellent - I have a 32GB usb stick that I use to store loads of albums in MP3, music videos and movies.

SD slots
: There is one that is sat nav dedicated and one that can be loaded with whatever you like, mp3, movies etc...

NAV: Excellent: this very much depends on the nav application you decide to use: I have gone for IGO8 with seems to be the application of choice for this unit... Works very well with the system and touch screen. I have also tried IGO amigo which seems to be good too...

Ipod interface: crap...not suited to the 160gb classic at all (Imagine it 'could' be better with a smaller pod) terrible white cable into the front of the unit... slow and buggie interface. I have my ipod plugged in via a component inputs in the back of the unit instead, these are lead into the glove box with the usb connection. I got a component to ipod connector cable off ebay for about £5. you can play movies ect off the ipod through the system too.

Bluetooth handsfree
: Excellent (when you not moving) / When your moving, you can hear them but they can't hear you..- It is a good system, and a lot of people have solved its issues but changing out the mic with a better one. This is a mod i intend to do soon. Don't even think about trying to use the phonebook interface, its soooooo slow, and really not worth it... if like me all you want to be able to do is answer calls then its ideal..once the mic is upgraded... You can also stream music...

In summary, it does everything to a certain extent; as i said above, 'it doesn't do everything well.
If your in the market for satnav, AV entertainment unit then don't hold back, its excellent..
Just be prepared to have to work with it to get the most out of it..... but thats what I like about it...

you can also get a rear view wireless camera for it too, the cam mounts on the number plate light...

Hope this is helpfully, i'll try and get some pics etc of it in operation soon.,..

Z

Offline Lean

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
  • DSG +..
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2009, 09:03:28 pm »
Nice.. I've ordered mine and being the gadget freak I've also ordered the rear camera and DVB-T - I ordered the twin fakra as I had read this can solve a few probs.. the only thing that worries me is the bluetooth side of things.. I had a parrot installed and it all works through  my steering wheel very well I have mic mounted near to rear-view mirror - I guess when I install the waywell I'm going to lose that side of things I just hope that the unit will give me as 'good' quality as the parrot has.

I'm prob's going to upgrade the DVB-T aerial with a 96db one I saw on ebay.. which one did you go for? and where have you put it? - I really want mine to be hidden from view as I hate anything not looking OEM in my car  :smiley:

Waywell..... Yes !!

I have had it up and running for the past 6 weeks and am very pleased with it..
It does pretty much everything... I doesn't do everything perfectly, but it tries !

Radio: Reasonable reception, tendency to try and re-tune itself too quickly, however setting can fix this, I'm about to install a twin fakra with diversity booster to make use of the factory twin antenna. Main niggle is that it only shows the station name when you listening to that station and saves that stations to memory as a frequency rather than a station name.

DVD: Works very well and plays most formats of avi, divX and Xvid etc.

TV: I have just upgraded to a better antenna, and am very impressed with the reception on the DVB-T digital.

USB
: Excellent - I have a 32GB usb stick that I use to store loads of albums in MP3, music videos and movies.

SD slots
: There is one that is sat nav dedicated and one that can be loaded with whatever you like, mp3, movies etc...

NAV: Excellent: this very much depends on the nav application you decide to use: I have gone for IGO8 with seems to be the application of choice for this unit... Works very well with the system and touch screen. I have also tried IGO amigo which seems to be good too...

Ipod interface: crap...not suited to the 160gb classic at all (Imagine it 'could' be better with a smaller pod) terrible white cable into the front of the unit... slow and buggie interface. I have my ipod plugged in via a component inputs in the back of the unit instead, these are lead into the glove box with the usb connection. I got a component to ipod connector cable off ebay for about £5. you can play movies ect off the ipod through the system too.

Bluetooth handsfree
: Excellent (when you not moving) / When your moving, you can hear them but they can't hear you..- It is a good system, and a lot of people have solved its issues but changing out the mic with a better one. This is a mod i intend to do soon. Don't even think about trying to use the phonebook interface, its soooooo slow, and really not worth it... if like me all you want to be able to do is answer calls then its ideal..once the mic is upgraded... You can also stream music...

In summary, it does everything to a certain extent; as i said above, 'it doesn't do everything well.
If your in the market for satnav, AV entertainment unit then don't hold back, its excellent..
Just be prepared to have to work with it to get the most out of it..... but thats what I like about it...

you can also get a rear view wireless camera for it too, the cam mounts on the number plate light...

Hope this is helpfully, i'll try and get some pics etc of it in operation soon.,..

Z

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2009, 09:23:52 pm »
Perhaps a silly question Zub, but does it have a Pre-Out connection for integrating with ICE?

Also, does the RNS-510 have a Pre-Out?
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline zub-gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2009, 10:16:56 am »
Nice.. I've ordered mine and being the gadget freak I've also ordered the rear camera and DVB-T - I ordered the twin fakra as I had read this can solve a few probs.. the only thing that worries me is the bluetooth side of things.. I had a parrot installed and it all works through  my steering wheel very well I have mic mounted near to rear-view mirror - I guess when I install the waywell I'm going to lose that side of things I just hope that the unit will give me as 'good' quality as the parrot has.

I'm prob's going to upgrade the DVB-T aerial with a 96db one I saw on ebay.. which one did you go for? and where have you put it? - I really want mine to be hidden from view as I hate anything not looking OEM in my car  :smiley:

Don't expect the bluetooth to be anything like the parrot with out some modification... I read the other day that you can hook up the parrot system.. http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74855&highlight=wd6050&page=170
I have that exact antenna (96db off ebay), seems to do the trick... but have my doubts it is actually 96db, it is identical in to this one which can be got for 20Euro's... there is nothing to say it is 96db... http://www.carlights.de/auto-dvb-t/auto-dvb-t-aktiv-antenne-cm-ant12v.html
As for hiding the antenna; the one in the link above fits perfectly in front of the rear view mirror, behind the black spotted patch on the windshield.. so you won't see it from inside or out. I'll post some pics.
Was thinking of getting the rear cam myself... There was an issue with some of the units, however there is a patch to correct that now...
"I hate anything not looking OEM in my car" - Me too  :happy2:

Offline Lean

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • DSG +..
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2009, 12:01:05 pm »
It'll be great to see some pics mate .  I ordered the camera but well have no idea whether I will use it or not. I'm still in two minds as to whether I should try install this whole thing - cos I'm a numpty when it comes to this sort of stuff - I looked at the Parrot installation link you gave me but man it's probs very simple but i'd be scuppered trying to do that - so probably going to need some help on that one later down the line (anyone Yorkshire area help?!)  :happy2:

Going back to the aerial, I think I would try to hide it inside the dash somewhere unless it makes the recption terrible which it probably will, hmm I will see you pics and decide  :smiley:

Offline zub-gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2009, 09:26:06 pm »
The WD6050 does have composite inputs and outputs, also outputs for 2 x external monitors and inputs for aux video and a reversing camera.

Don't know about the 510 ... sorry..

Perhaps a silly question Zub, but does it have a Pre-Out connection for integrating with ICE?

Also, does the RNS-510 have a Pre-Out?

Offline zub-gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2009, 09:28:11 pm »
Finally got that antenna all hooked up today; better than the standard one, but still have to be close to the transmitter to get 70 odd freeview channels... at my house i only got 4
As for hiding the antenna in the dash, i really don't think that will work...

I'll get some pics up soon,

Z

It'll be great to see some pics mate .  I ordered the camera but well have no idea whether I will use it or not. I'm still in two minds as to whether I should try install this whole thing - cos I'm a numpty when it comes to this sort of stuff - I looked at the Parrot installation link you gave me but man it's probs very simple but i'd be scuppered trying to do that - so probably going to need some help on that one later down the line (anyone Yorkshire area help?!)  :happy2:

Going back to the aerial, I think I would try to hide it inside the dash somewhere unless it makes the recption terrible which it probably will, hmm I will see you pics and decide  :smiley:

« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 09:05:10 am by zub-gti »

Offline zub-gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2009, 09:34:02 am »
Installed the FAKRA (twin with diversity) and wow... what a difference..
Easy to install; I put a 5A fuse in there on the blue wire coming from the WD6050 which powers the FAKRA.

Found it here... for £10... and I paid £20 for mine..

http://www.dealsonice.net/DUAL-FAKRA-WITH-DIVERSITY-TO-M_ANDHB.aspx

A highly recomended upgrade...

Offline Lean

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • DSG +..
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2009, 03:57:00 pm »
I ordered my fakra at samee time of ordering head unit with Oskar (Joe) think he said $25 so we both lost out a little on price think it works out around £15 quid for moi!

Offline Lean

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • DSG +..
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2009, 09:59:08 pm »
Okay..my waywell unit arrived today quite overwhelming the amount of cables to be installing - I might need some help on this!!  :happy2:

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2009, 05:45:58 pm »
Zub,

How did you connect a USB device to the W6050 as it doesn't appear to have a raw USB connection?

Ta,
Pete.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email