Make a donation

Author Topic: Should I get a Mk7 GTI?  (Read 4539 times)

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
Re: Should I get a Mk7 GTI?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2013, 09:26:59 pm »
Well Ive made my descision and I am staying with the Mk5 , basically because I couldnt live without Leather and Performance pack options , and I cant afford the car if I add them! I dont have rent or a mortgage btw , I own my house outright (was left me by my folks) so I have a bit each month to waste on a car! I am paying the Mk5 until 2017 when it will be 9 years old - I may look at getting into an Edition 40 then (assuming its due in 2017?) using the full value of the Mk5 as a trade in along with a few grand of savings.
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2013, 09:27:39 pm »
Anyone hear think multi millionaires buy their cars outright??

Why sink wads of cash into one of the fastest depreciating purchases you will ever make?

Mike you can bang on about it all night but some people just won't listen..........

^^This  :happy2:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2013, 09:32:26 pm »
I would rather pay an extra 300 a month off the mortgage and have it over a shorter term then rentacar but thats just me.
When i see new cars on the road all I see now is rentacars or company cars..

The proliferation of the Rep-mobile.
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2013, 09:35:42 pm »
Well Ive made my descision and I am staying with the Mk5 , basically because I couldnt live without Leather and Performance pack options , and I cant afford the car if I add them! I dont have rent or a mortgage btw , I own my house outright (was left me by my folks) so I have a bit each month to waste on a car! I am paying the Mk5 until 2017 when it will be 9 years old - I may look at getting into an Edition 40 then (assuming its due in 2017?) using the full value of the Mk5 as a trade in along with a few grand of savings.

Sounds like a wise move to me!

Finally, let's hope you don't end up with any children between now and then cause that's when you get bills, your next new purchase will be a push bike. Ha ha.

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2013, 09:52:21 pm »

Sounds like a wise move to me!

Finally, let's hope you don't end up with any children between now and then cause that's when you get bills, your next new purchase will be a push bike. Ha ha.

Knowing my luck I wont even have sex again before 2017 let alone get someone up the duff lol  :grin:

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2013, 10:09:59 pm »
If you can afford to do it do it as you only live once and life's too short to not enjoy things.

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2013, 10:15:56 pm »
I would rather pay an extra 300 a month off the mortgage and have it over a shorter term then rentacar but thats just me.

Well someone has to buy cars, otherwise there'd be no used ones for everyone else.

:signLOL:
Sideways yo!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2013, 10:24:37 pm »
How good a deal is the deal? There could be enough discount at the right dealer to get leather and the PPack for the same money you've been quoted.

As I said, ignore anyone only quoting monthly figures, you need to know total cost then get down to payments once they've knocked a load off.
Sideways yo!

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2013, 10:30:10 pm »
Deal was 1500 down and 346 PCM on a 3 door GTI in Pure White. I didnt even ask how many years or anything tbh.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2013, 10:45:12 pm »
I'd take a guess at 5 years full list price.

www.drivethedeal.com are a decent yardstick, could be worth a quote to see what you actually could get?
Sideways yo!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=deh8k5iir64licpc7lress6v8d&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2013, 01:58:16 am »
Anyone hear think multi millionaires buy their cars outright??

Why sink wads of cash into one of the fastest depreciating purchases you will ever make?

Mike you can bang on about it all night but some people just won't listen..........

^^This  :happy2:

And again ^^^^

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=deh8k5iir64licpc7lress6v8d&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2013, 02:00:11 am »
Having said that... If I had a ton of money would I buy a Porsche 4.0 outright???? Yes I would. Tomorrow!

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2013, 08:44:37 am »

Well someone has to buy cars, otherwise there'd be no used ones for everyone else.

:signLOL:

:signLOL: That wasn't a reference to the m135i, heard one leaving a car park in Brighton a few weeks ago and they do sound nice as do all the 3.0 L6 engines.
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2013, 08:48:54 am »
I know it wasn't.  :happy2:

Wait till you hear one with the M-Performance exhaust, in Sport+ mode....

Rich, that's an appreciating asset, join the queue behind me!
Sideways yo!

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2013, 07:43:48 am »
At the end of the day it's whatever your comfortable with, you buy a car outright from the second you pay for it it's losing money and it costs you money all the time in maintenance and running, you get a car on finance and you own it at the end but it's lost money as well as cost you in interest and running/repairs, PCP you pay to hire a car, pure and simple with no hassle, change or hand it back.

I bet the costs and losses involved probably aren't that different in all the scenarios. At the end of the day if PCP's were that bad people just wouldn't do it. I never ever said I would by a brand new car but looking at pcp deals you can get now especially on the Gti it's really got me thinking, I worked out that my Mk5 cost me nearly £9k for 2.5yrs ownership by the time you add up finance payments, cost/loss on purchase price at trade in and repairs/maintenance, approx £300-330 per month that I never saw again. I could get a brand new Mk7 with that money for quite a small deposit.
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.