Make a donation

Author Topic: RNS-510 Sound Issue....Please Help!!  (Read 1223 times)

Offline York_GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
RNS-510 Sound Issue....Please Help!!
« on: December 31, 2013, 01:28:34 am »
I have a weird issue I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with....

I recently replaced a RCD-510 headunit in my Mk6 GTi with a Version P RNS-510 unit.  The RCD unit sounded superb, with the bass being strong, very clear sound and the unit having plenty of power.  I thought the RNS would be the same, how wrong I was.

The sound is flat, with very little bass, even with the bass setting to max.  The vocals occasionally sound 'robotic' or distorted and normal volumes.  When the volume is set two thirds across the bar at the bottom of the screen, there is less volume than my RCD had at 1/5th of the way across the bar.

I've listened to a mate's RNS version P and his sounds great, produces the same amount of volume, but at a quarter of the setting as mine, but with no distortion and LOADS of bass.  Basically my volume needs to be near max!

Do you think it is an issue with my unit, or something in the wiring or a setting.  I have checked on VCDS and the settings all look correct and the loudness setting is on.

The car has an aftermarket hands free fitted, but I never got it to work.  I thought perhaps my unit is getting a signal of some kind to say the volume should be reduced for a phone call or something similar?  It's all I can think of, as the wiring looks fine too.

Any help would be much appreciated as apart from this issue, the unit is like new and works perfectly.

Cheers, Chris
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (North Yorkshire)

Carbon Steel Grey 5 door 2010 (60) Golf MK6 GTi DSG / Leather / RCD510 / 18" Monza Alloys

Carbon Steel Grey 3 door 2011 Golf MK6 GTD DSG / RNS510 / Leather (NOW SOLD)

Tornado Red 5 door 2009 Golf MK6 GTi DSG / 18" Monza Alloys / PDT Stage 1 Remap - 261 BHP (NOW SOLD)

Black 3 door 2006 Golf MK5 GTi Manual / 18" Monza Alloys / PDT Stage 1 Remap & HPFP - 262 BHP (NOW SOLD)

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: RNS-510 Sound Issue....Please Help!!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 04:27:37 pm »
Did your car come with a separate under-seat amp?

What source is your music coming from?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline York_GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: RNS-510 Sound Issue....Please Help!!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 05:13:24 pm »
No, it was just the headunit powering the speakers.

It looks like I've solved the issue though.  I realised that I had the option for 'Volkswagen Sound System' ticked rather than no sound system.  Changing them around has sorted the issue thankfully :smiley:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (North Yorkshire)

Carbon Steel Grey 5 door 2010 (60) Golf MK6 GTi DSG / Leather / RCD510 / 18" Monza Alloys

Carbon Steel Grey 3 door 2011 Golf MK6 GTD DSG / RNS510 / Leather (NOW SOLD)

Tornado Red 5 door 2009 Golf MK6 GTi DSG / 18" Monza Alloys / PDT Stage 1 Remap - 261 BHP (NOW SOLD)

Black 3 door 2006 Golf MK5 GTi Manual / 18" Monza Alloys / PDT Stage 1 Remap & HPFP - 262 BHP (NOW SOLD)