Make a donation

Author Topic: Changeover perfection?  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Tortaruga

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
Changeover perfection?
« on: January 18, 2014, 03:24:19 pm »
Is there a perfect time at which to sell one car and buy another? Say I want to trade from a Mk5 GTI to a Mk6 GTI. Say for example my car is 7 years old and I want a 3 year old Mk6, would this be the perfect combination to ensure the best price for changing? I suppose you want the point where the newer car has taken the initial massive depreciation hit and the older car has bottomed out.

Any ideas if such a point exists??
'07 Red manual

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
Re: Changeover perfection?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 04:06:15 pm »
I think there is no correct answer . Your Mk5 to M6 at 7 and 3 years old seems about right to me .

I think it depends on what type of car it is , you could nearly get back what you paid for some cars in the past but they are an exception to the rule . Really sought after cars with a long waiting list can be chopped in after 6-12 months and you can get back what you paid and sometimes more , Ferraris and Morgans are an example of this .

I want to get a newer car than my ED30 but the Golf R i want to replace it with is too much extra to pay for not much more car (07 ED30 for a 10/11 R) I would pay £9 or £10k but they are more like £12 - £14k and thats too much for me . If someone wanted to trade down is about the only way i can see me doing it , they would get mine and cash . Have had a ad for a while on the R forum but no takers
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 04:18:13 pm »
I think there is no correct answer . Your Mk5 to M6 at 7 and 3 years old seems about right to me .

I think it depends on what type of car it is , you could nearly get back what you paid for some cars in the past but they are an exception to the rule . Really sought after cars with a long waiting list can be chopped in after 6-12 months and you can get back what you paid and sometimes more , Ferraris and Morgans are an example of this .

I want to get a newer car than my ED30 but the Golf R i want to replace it with is too much extra to pay for not much more car (07 ED30 for a 10/11 R) I would pay £9 or £10k but they are more like £12 - £14k and thats too much for me . If someone wanted to trade down is about the only way i can see me doing it , they would get mine and cash . Have had a ad for a while on the R forum but no takers

Golf R for £12k, where have you seen that? Ill buy it right now  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 04:21:02 pm »
Prices definitely seem to drop after the 3 year warranty is up.  I'm waiting for Rocco R at 12k ish

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 04:58:44 pm »

Golf R for £12k, where have you seen that? Ill buy it right now  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Think he meant the difference he had to pay on top :smiley:

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 05:22:24 pm »

Golf R for £12k, where have you seen that? Ill buy it right now  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What he said ^^^
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 05:57:45 pm »
Is there a perfect time at which to sell one car and buy another? Say I want to trade from a Mk5 GTI to a Mk6 GTI. Say for example my car is 7 years old and I want a 3 year old Mk6, would this be the perfect combination to ensure the best price for changing? I suppose you want the point where the newer car has taken the initial massive depreciation hit and the older car has bottomed out.

Any ideas if such a point exists??

Your probably about right with the 7 year old Mk5 against a 3 year old Mk6.  :happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 06:20:54 pm »

Golf R for £12k, where have you seen that? Ill buy it right now  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What he said ^^^

My bad....  :chicken:
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 08:05:37 pm »
Before I got my 2011 R, I looked at a 2010 (which would have been out of warranty) and with a very similar mileage and spec, it was only £750 cheaper!
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 08:11:22 pm »
End of the day it's up to you mate..only you will know if its worth the change

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071