Make a donation

Author Topic: R32 REAR CALIPERS, GTI REAR CALIPERS  (Read 2885 times)

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
R32 REAR CALIPERS, GTI REAR CALIPERS
« on: November 14, 2009, 10:12:26 pm »
To all the Brake experts on here whats the difference between the rear GTI and rear R32 brake calipers. I understand the discs are bigger and vented but just cant see any difference in the caliper?

Any info folks?

Cheers

Gav  :happy2:

Offline Bogwoppit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 7
Re: R32 REAR CALIPERS, GTI REAR CALIPERS
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 10:44:33 pm »
I think the calipers are the same, (apart from colour). To upgrade to the bigger rear brakes all you need are the R32 caliper carriers and the bigger discs.

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 10:46:55 pm »
The calipers are wider to account for the fact that the GTI disc is solid and thinner at 12mm IIRC as opposed to the R32/S3 which is 22mm wide. On the Mark 4 the R32 Vented/solid calipers all have 38mm pistons.

On the S3/R32 the pistons are a 1/2 way house between the 38mm piston of the GTI and the 43mm pistons of the similar RS4 as they areat 41mm so a little more hydraulic action going on there at the expense of a small amount of pedal travel.

They're a well regarded mod in general terms increasing stability, decreasing dive. The only people who dont really like them are the die hard track slaggers who prefer a little more instability in the rear to promote oversteer and better laptimes....not for the faint hearted though. In general for those of us with average ability and a desire to be able to drive to work Monday morning - bigger rears (IMVHO) are the way to go.

There is no commonality between the calipers carriers you need to upgrade both, pads are the same though

Plus they look better

Offline Bogwoppit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 10:54:19 pm »
Ignore my previous post.

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 11:05:25 pm »
The calipers are wider to account for the fact that the GTI disc is solid and thinner at 12mm IIRC as opposed to the R32/S3 which is 22mm wide. On the Mark 4 the R32 Vented/solid calipers all have 38mm pistons.

On the S3/R32 the pistons are a 1/2 way house between the 38mm piston of the GTI and the 43mm pistons of the similar RS4 as they areat 41mm so a little more hydraulic action going on there at the expense of a small amount of pedal travel.

They're a well regarded mod in general terms increasing stability, decreasing dive. The only people who dont really like them are the die hard track slaggers who prefer a little more instability in the rear to promote oversteer and better laptimes....not for the faint hearted though. In general for those of us with average ability and a desire to be able to drive to work Monday morning - bigger rears (IMVHO) are the way to go.

There is no commonality between the calipers carriers you need to upgrade both, pads are the same though

Plus they look better

Thanks for the info Dave, that explains everything i need to know. Was gonna just buy some discs and try it but glad i asked now. Wish i'd purchased one of the sets that have been going for sale on here now. Im sure Jon tfsi sold some for £150.00 recently. Never mind i'll wait for the next set...

Thanks again

Gav   :drinking:

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 11:33:50 pm »
Do you have any sets going Dave...you must have some somewhere in that collection of yours...  :smiley:

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 11:35:06 pm »
just got your PM mate  :happy2:

Offline tinto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • Pirelli GTI
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 10:12:17 am »
Well Dave, if there's two sets on the boil, I'm also interested in a set to balance out an ap kit up front.
Otherwise, please excuse the threadjack ;)