Make a donation

Author Topic: Clutch/Flywheel Rattle and knocking  (Read 1287 times)

Offline DanMaytee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Clutch/Flywheel Rattle and knocking
« on: May 31, 2014, 06:34:12 pm »
Before I start I just want to mention the car has a Valeo SMF and clutch kit fitted and until now it has always been silent and not made noise at all. 

So I've just returned from Cornwall (800 mile round trip) and on the way back I noticed the Clutch/flywheel has started rattling a lot more when not in gear and the clutch isn't down.  As soon as I put the clutch down the noise disappears.  As I mentioned before the SMF has never rattled before until now.  A couple of things worth mentioning though... on the way back yesterday I was in quite a lot of traffic which for a couple of hours was just stop/start.  Also I hit quite a bump on the M5 and gave the bottom of my car a good wack.  I'm guessing I hit the subframe and I've checked quickly underneath and couldn't see any damage. 

Could the clutch/flywheel problem be normal?  I know SMF are prone to rattling but this one has never rattled before.

2nd problem... (Although I haven't checked today if it's still doing this today)  When I was in stop/start traffic I noticed sometimes when I put the clutch down then pushed it into 1st (before I lift the clutch back up) I could feel something move under my feet and occasionally it would make a very slight knock.