Make a donation

Author Topic: cant hear auxiliary coolant pump  (Read 3034 times)

Offline jakex181

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
cant hear auxiliary coolant pump
« on: May 28, 2014, 12:24:54 am »
I understand that the mk5 gti has an auxiliary coolant pump that cools the turbo after you turn the engine off, does this come on every time the engine is shut off or only during certain temperature. The reason I ask is that ive seen people say they can hear it after using there car but my car is silent straight after turning it off. Just wondering if this is something I need to have a look at.

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
Re: cant hear auxiliary coolant pump
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 01:02:54 am »
I never hear a thing from mine after I turn it off, I normally let it idle for 30 ticks before I shut it down so whether or not that plays a part as to why I don't hear anything I don't know.

Offline jakex181

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 12:09:01 am »
I took the car for a hard run earlier so as to test and see if the pump would kick in, when I shut the engine off I still couldn't hear it :/. Will it come up on vagcom if there is a problem or is it possible to directly check it? Does it have a fuse or relay that could be an issue? Ill leave my car to idle after driving the the mean time,  cheers.

Offline jakex181

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 03:29:43 pm »
Using Vagcom i tested the pump and it came on, i have read in many places that the pump is supposed to come on when the ignition is on regardless of temperature and also stay on when the ignition is off for a short amount of time. Am i right in saying this? has anyone noticed it staying on with there car regardless of temperature? Do i have a problem here?

Offline jakex181

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 07:20:02 pm »
The past few drives ive been monitoring my car after switching the car off to listen for the aux pump, i have not once heard it nor could i feel flow in the pipes. I understand the pump is controlled by the ecu so why is it not being turned on? How many people actually hear there pumps running on switch off? Vagcom shows no faults so im at a dead end problem solving this issue

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 09:06:10 pm »
If it's any help I can't hear my pump running after switching off the vehicle but if your worried test it with a multimeter for a feed.
I can send you the circuit drawings if you need them as there's a connection in the engine bay,for the ECU but if it testes out with VCDS on output test not just DTCs then I would assume you've got nothing to worry about!

I couldn't find much on the net for the V50 pump in question other than this:-

Read page 18 on the link below.

http://www.vaglinks.com/docs/vw/misc/vw.com_2.0l_fsi_turbo_ssp_821503.pdf

Location in the coolant system:-

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/golf-mk5/power_unit/4-cylinder_injection_engine_(2.0_l_engine_turbocharger)/engine_cooling/parts_of_cooling_system/assembly_overview_coolant_circulation_pumpv50_(vehicles_with_bypass_thermostat)/

Current part number:- 1k0 965 561 G - price - £136:93

Offline jakex181

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 11:45:24 pm »
Brilliant Thanks for the help mate! Im probably just worrying for no reason  :drinking: