Make a donation

Author Topic: Rubbing/Echo sound when driving sometimes  (Read 824 times)

Offline irish_ram

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
Rubbing/Echo sound when driving sometimes
« on: May 03, 2014, 04:48:11 pm »
I have noticed that I have a very faint weird sound coming from the car when driving. It seems to get louder the faster I drive.

I can only explain it as the title says so not sure if something is rubbing or the echo sound is like when you get wind blowing through a gap and making that kind of whirring sound if that makes sense.

I did have an issue a bit ago where the heat shields on the back bent due to the car sliding of its jacks but I bent them back in shape and got a good gap between them and the brake discs so do not think it is that.

Any information on what this might be or what else to check. I know the brakes may need replacing so could it be this although they are not making that awful crunch sound when breaking.

Offline bushypad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 2
Re: Rubbing/Echo sound when driving sometimes
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 05:35:24 pm »
I had a similar issue and realised it was the wheel bearing that needed replacing. Just take it to a garage get them to check it out  :happy2:

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 09:11:52 am »
Due to being so busy have not managed to get the car into a garage yet to have a look at this problem.

Does anyone know if there is a way of checking if it is the bearings myself before taking it to a garage and what cost am I looking at if they need sorting?

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 10:00:18 am »
I just googled how to check the bearings and most say jack the car up and wiggle the tire with your hands in the 12 and 6 position on tyre. I have checked all four wheels doing this and have no play whatsoever.

Someone suggested driving the car round opposite bends with the window open and listening to where the noise comes from.

When I drove home from work last night and was doing about 50mph the sound was very loud humming kind of sound and is getting louder.

Offline greygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 10:07:28 am »
Sounds daft but I was getting this noise 18 months ago I was convinced it was one of the wheel bearings turns out it was uneven wear of the rear tyres or "saw tooth wearing" had the alignment done and 2 new rear tyres fitted and it was sorted

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 12:04:22 pm »
I just posted the same issue. I do not have play yet as I just began noticing the sound and it is faint, but the bearing hub is the origin for the sound. I'm replacing them soon with either FAG or SKF. I had a noise before but that time the culprit was the tires(←US English) wearing through the fender liners in back. I replaced them and raised the height a bit to avoid in the future  :drinking:
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 07:45:07 pm »
Right so dropped my car into the garage this morning and it was the rear brakes. The pads had wore down to the metal and were badly rubbing so got them all replaced so good news is it was only new brakes/pads needed which I knew was coming soon. Bad news is it is wear and tear meaning I had to fork out £140 myself instead of claiming through RAC.