Make a donation

Author Topic: SLO Candy white mk 5 Golf build  (Read 5592 times)

Offline SloGolf

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
SLO Candy white mk 5 Golf build
« on: October 26, 2015, 04:31:44 pm »
So, new to the forum! used to own a Polo 9n before i picked up this 1.4s Golf mk 5, with lots of good (and bad) mods done including:

Full white respray (candy white)
Black vinyl wrapped roof
Aftermarket induction kit
coilovers
Gti Headlights
Gti front bumper
Fogs (not wired in)
GT rear bumper (colour coded)
Speakers in parcel shelf
18' Mercedes monoblock alloys

Some of these were great, some awful, and some just badly done, but i got it for a steal of a price and so could really say no.

Here are a few pictures of it as it sat the day i picked it up:

once id given it its first clean (and got rid of the front black badge, preferred the chrome one so took apart my old 9n's badge and attached it the front of the golf)

the engine was a mess, hadnt been cleaned in a long time and the airbox had been poorly cut to take the induction kit (which wasnt even connected properly)

the respray was really well done so the car was almost pristine, i was really happy overall. it had done 160,000 miles and the interior felt it but outside was great. the only bugging thing was the white worm on the rear badge.

this left me with a few jobs to start ticking off.
first up was a set of pressed plates, and cleaning the engine properly:

next up a set of HEKO wind deflectors

and then some number plate surrounds:

Id read alot online about fixing the white worm on the rear boot badge so the way i decided to do it was using a mk 4 front badge, stripping that from its back plate and sanding flat. removing the rear badge from the mk 5 and peeling off the corroded plate, vinyl wrapping it black and attaching the new mk 4 badge to it, really happy with how flush it sits in the boot.

using the left over vinyl i also took to fixing the centre console around the radio, it had started to peel and bubble badly, so i sanded it back and used the same vinyl to wrap that, whilst i had it off i also changed the hazard switch for a darker cherry one i ordered. My plan is to soon change to a touch screen head unit, and fix the broken vents.

i also used some scrap vinyl i had lying around to wrap the door pillars as one had a key mark half way up.

the main issue i had with the car was the mercedes alloys, rubbing on almost every arch and had torn the arch liners out at the front, as well as the bottom undertray at some point. I eventually was some BBS RS but couldnt wait any longer after they caught the front bumper and tore it off on one side. So i managed to get hold of a set of Monza 17's that werent too bad condition.

a massive improvement already!

a bit of a bad shot but the side lights had been replaced with LEDs, however they were poor quality and one didnt work, the other wouldnt stay on, so i picked up a replacement set of LEDS sidelights.

I had the car serviced due to the high mileage and they pointed out a couple of issues, one being the installation of the induction kit was poor, the oil breathers hadnt been attached properly and I set about sorting this ASAP.

I ordered a few pieces of silicone and stainless to build a proper induction setup, and whilst at it decided I might as well add a catch can into the loop, I read alot about people saying they are pointless especially on N/A engines, but with the need to sort the breather issue anyway i decided it was worth 5 minutes extra. Well worth the time it took, the induction kit has a proper seal at last and the volume has increased massively.

I also started to work on fixing up the worn interior trim pieces with spray, here's a photo for comparison:

[IMG]http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s575/scottthomasofficial/WP_20151026_14_29_14_Pro%201_zpselakwmuu.jpg[/I

I also replaced drivers side air vent which was damaged, the rear boot struts weren't holding the boot up so they were replaced too.

Now a month into owning the car, ive fixed alot of the small issues i had, tidied it up and made it a little more me. Have alot of plans for the car, including a retrim inside, new BBS alloys and headunit.

would appreciate any comments, advice on new mods etc. Will be posting more over the coming weeks.

Offline bluebert92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100025.msg982250.html#msg982250
Re: SLO Candy white mk 5 Golf build
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 05:22:46 pm »
That respray looks lovely!, looks much better now its on monzas too pal!

Offline shoaybmakda

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 08:32:43 pm »
car looks spotless and the changes you have made look good too - also agree monzas look better

i have a candy white gti too with a build thread on here take a look :)

Offline Ruggy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 10:17:58 pm »
Much more suited on the Monzas. I have the same issue with the centre air vents, only got one on mine to fix though.

What have you done with the black VW badge? Fancy selling it?

Offline SloGolf

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 08:36:11 am »
That respray looks lovely!, looks much better now its on monzas too pal!

thanks buddy! the respray was really well done, less than 6 months ago so is still perfect

Offline SloGolf

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 08:36:47 am »
car looks spotless and the changes you have made look good too - also agree monzas look better

i have a candy white gti too with a build thread on here take a look :)

thanks ill check it out now, could use some ideas!

Offline SloGolf

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 08:38:34 am »
Much more suited on the Monzas. I have the same issue with the centre air vents, only got one on mine to fix though.

What have you done with the black VW badge? Fancy selling it?

ive found a few places online that sell the whole unit as opposed to each air vent so looking like i may have to replace the whole lot, though considering getting a top air vent instead of the tray whilst im at it.

if i can dig it out for sure, will have a look later today

Offline Ruggy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 10:08:21 pm »
I've already got the air vent version. All the ones I can find online have the passenger airbag warning light missing, so don't look right.
So it may have to buy 2nd hand OE unit.

Offline SloGolf

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 07:50:59 pm »
so, another update, only a short one. Was looking at picking up some new whiter headlights bulbs to go with the new LED side lights. After doing a bit of research ended up picking up some OSRAM nightbreaker plus bulbs for £13 online.

before:

After:

i Also started to wire up the fogs but after a few complications wasnt able to finish it.

And whilst i was at it painted the calipers in metallic purple.excuse the wheels needing a clean! looking at getting rid of the GTI alloys as someone has offered re a set of r32's.

so following this ended up having a bad few days! Battery died as i left something on in the car, so had to get recovery out, a jump start later and it was back to normal and fine. But looks like a new battery may be needed as this is the second time its happened (once when i went to pick the car up) and i now have the traction control and ABS lights on the dash as well as the ESP light not being able to be turned on via the switch, ive done some reading and seems like its a wheel speed sensor so will be a trip to the garage soon.

Offline SloGolf

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 08:36:14 pm »
so updates! the centre of my steering wheel had taken some damage, not exactly sure how.

here's a picture of the before:

I went online and looked around and was really struggling to find anything that i could use to replace it, so i eventually settled on using a metal wheel centre sticker i picked up online.

its not perfect as it doesnt quite sit flat with the rounded shape of the original underneath, but looks a lot better to my eyes.

Next job was looking at the leaking washer bottle that was bugging me, so took the front bumper off and had a look, found a small cut to it, so will be replacing that soon.

and on to the next big purchase!

found a set of BBS RS reps online, travelled 5 hours to huddersfield and back only to find out the poke was ridiculous, the ET was wrong and they had to go, sold those the following week and week and went to pick up a set of 17's needing new tyres.

heres a photo of them test fitted after their first clean

you can also see the newly painted white calipers hiding in there too.

a couple of photos of them on:

When picking up the reps i decided that i wasnt keen on keeping the centres as BBS, and after seeing a mk 2 with VW centre caps on i knew i had to get a set: