Make a donation

Author Topic: Samsung Galaxy S4 Lollipop Update  (Read 1880 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Samsung Galaxy S4 Lollipop Update
« on: May 13, 2015, 09:45:09 am »
Guys,

Anyone else with a Samsung Galaxy S4 had an update for Android Lollipop come through?
Samsung seemed to hint that the S4 and S4 Mini would get the Lollipop 5.0 Android update a while back, then a recent tweet seemed to confirm that it wouldn't, for now - then(!), Three Ireland (the Network provider 3) tweeted 2 weeks or so ago seeming to suggest this was a mistake and that it WOULD get Lollipop.

I've not had a notification come through for it on my G-S4 Mini, has anyone else been lucky?

Thanks.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Gazza747

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 Lollipop Update
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 10:32:49 am »
Had the lollipop update on my s4 about a month ago, on Vodafone.

Edit: Had a fix to some issues yesterday.
2013 Golf mk7 1.4 tsi SE DSG
2011 Golf mk6 2.0 tdi Match manual (sold)
2007 Golf mk5 GTi manual (sold)

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 10:52:58 am »
Just read online and aparently there is one. Can be downloaded and flashed yourself if you wanted

I've had it on my S4 for a while but it's a custom rom & setup. Not had an official firmware since the day i got the phone  :grin:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 10:55:18 am by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Gazza747

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 10:57:45 am »
Mine just prompted that it had an update, I didn't realise it was a full android version update. Also the update yesterday was just from a prompt.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 11:14:01 am »
What version do you have @Gazza747 ? Is it XXUHOB7 or 8? or something entirely different?

My other half has a GS4 Mini and has not had an update from 4.4.2 as yet. The Mini is always behind in terms of updates compared to my S4 though
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Gazza747

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 12:11:37 pm »
I have the s4 not the mini

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 01:02:52 pm »
Just read online and aparently there is one. Can be downloaded and flashed yourself if you wanted

I've had it on my S4 for a while but it's a custom rom & setup. Not had an official firmware since the day i got the phone  :grin:

What version do you have @Gazza747 ? Is it XXUHOB7 or 8? or something entirely different?

My other half has a GS4 Mini and has not had an update from 4.4.2 as yet. The Mini is always behind in terms of updates compared to my S4 though

Interesting, what do you know about the link @Dan_FR can you point me in the right direction?  :smiley:

I'm SG S4 Mini too and we're now in Mid-May, so I'd have expected to have a push by now for Lollipop  :sad1:

I'm in no doubt the S4 Mini has the umph to run it as a handset and it's loads neater to get an official Android push for the update (even if forced) rather than going down the Cyanogen mod and rom route, which is hassle  :stupid: :scared:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 01:05:23 pm by rdfcpete »
Pete

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 09:19:07 am »
I was looking at the S4 rather than S3 - my apologies. Didn't see any official release for the Mini. Plenty of custom stuff, CM etc. The rooting aspect and custom rom install is very easy to do though.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 01:20:57 pm »
I was looking at the S4 rather than S3 - my apologies. Didn't see any official release for the Mini. Plenty of custom stuff, CM etc. The rooting aspect and custom rom install is very easy to do though.

I've got the S4 Mini, not S3 dude  :happy2:

...I've got a Diesel Audi that looks like an S3, ironically  :laugh: :grin: :signLOL:...

Hmm - just not comfortable with the whole rooting thing, don't you lose all your apps and data, or does it apply it like a factory pushed firmware update where it applies to the phone, rather than wiping and starting fresh?

I'm thinking it'll be easier to buy an S5 Mini and just be done with it...  :ashamed:
Pete

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 01:34:34 pm »
I know what i meant to type - shame my finger's didn't  :happy2: :signLOL:

Once rooted, you can use apps such as Titanium backup which will back up all of your aps and their data, but yes if you install a custom ROM then it will be like having a new phone. Apps can be restored through Titanium backup, but settings, personalisations etc will need to be redone

There will probably be an S6 mini out soon  :happy2: