Make a donation

Author Topic: VW Emissions Scandal - The Effects  (Read 16401 times)

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
Re: VW Emissions Scandal - The Effects
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 07:14:55 pm »
Does anyone think this will be the death of vag  :scared:

But really tho why on earth do it in the first place! So daft it's untrue for a car maker like vw. There was some really good cars on the horizon  :sad1:

All this bull about emission being the main reason for global warming I just don't believe, they have only been recording the earths temps for something like 100 years or maybes more but anyways that is sooooooo little in terms of time when you think how old the earth is, it could of been getting warmer steadily for a very very long time.

All these tossers saying global warming this and that and putting all these laws etc in place, surely they should be making sure things we buy last way longer than they do. Think about it what do you buy these days that's built to last? Not very much at all! Renault clio is a disposable car literally pure junk. All this manufacturing will have just as much impact on the planet if not more than car emissions. Another thing do they think all this emission crap for cars such as PDF etc just grow on tree? More pointless manufacturing puffing out smog.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:26:26 pm by Chris92 »

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 04:19:00 pm »
Does anyone think this will be the death of vag  :scared:

But really tho why on earth do it in the first place! So daft it's untrue for a car maker like vw. There was some really good cars on the horizon  :sad1:

All this bull about emission being the main reason for global warming I just don't believe, they have only been recording the earths temps for something like 100 years or maybes more but anyways that is sooooooo little in terms of time when you think how old the earth is, it could of been getting warmer steadily for a very very long time.

All these tossers saying global warming this and that and putting all these laws etc in place, surely they should be making sure things we buy last way longer than they do. Think about it what do you buy these days that's built to last? Not very much at all! Renault clio is a disposable car literally pure junk. All this manufacturing will have just as much impact on the planet if not more than car emissions. Another thing do they think all this emission crap for cars such as PDF etc just grow on tree? More pointless manufacturing puffing out smog.
They did it to stay competitive. Low emissions are a big selling point - not in the slightest to the likes of me and you on a GTI forum - but think about fleets, and those wanting to pay smaller road tax charges.

Theoretically these dervs just wouldn't sell at all if they were burdened with road tax that reflected their true emission output. So they fudged the software to take care of that.

It won't be the end of VW, but I do wonder what the next ten years will look like. They're going to have to claw these huge costs back somehow.

Like I said in my original post, as long as they don't go all nazi in refusing (my rusty arch) warranty claims, I don't mind! But it'd be a real shame to see the showcase stuff like the R400 canned.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 04:22:05 pm »
CO2 (what we are taxed on) are not NOX emissions

Completely separate issues.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 04:27:50 pm »
CO2 (what we are taxed on) are not NOX emissions

Completely separate issues.
Yeah, true. But they were at it in Europe too, so what were they hiding over here??

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 04:29:18 pm »
There's no evidence so we do not know what they are "up to".
Only that their cars may be more emissions-rich than they are in tests under real world driving.
Which is the same for ALL cars.
 :stupid:

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2015, 11:32:36 am »
Depends a lot at the moment:

* Are they the only manufacturers guilty
* will the $h*t stick in terms of public perception
* will the fines and share price losses be too damaging

If so then you'll probably see at best key brands of VAG having to be sold off to recoup losses in the short term. If its truly crippling then VW themselves could end up merging/ taken over...

Just proves what i've been saying all along - dervs are dirty, dirty, dirty  :evilgrin: :fighting:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2015, 01:35:29 pm »
VW in Switzerland have stopped the same of some vehicles.

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2015, 05:18:44 pm »
If VW have been playing the system, you can bet others manufacturers will have been doing the same.  My money's on BMW next - look how impressive their claimed emissions and consumption figures are, despite no reported loss in performance.
I love being right.  Shame my wife doesn't read this forum. According to her, I'm never right.

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2015, 04:25:14 pm »
Glad I bought a Seat Diesel now. With the EA288 engine......unless there is more to this saga to come? :scared: :signLOL:

Honestly though, who here gives a monkeys if their diesel is dirtier than they first thought?
As long as it gives the power and makes decent mpg that is all most people are bothered about. There will be future fallout from higher residual depreciation, but again if you have an xx year old diesel and you are keeping it do you really care, especially if it has already saved you thousand in fuel costs?

Heads will roll on the VAG executive board and the shares will take an initial major hit, but it will all bounce back and by 2020 who will remember?

My 2 penneth. Obviously my opinion too.  :rolleye:
Golf R gone.

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2015, 05:48:54 pm »
Good time to buy some VAG shares IMO.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2015, 09:15:38 pm »
This story was not likely to affect us petrol-burners unless we had shares in VW - until today.  Now some of the banks have refused to underwrite VW's credit business, which is how it sells around 80% of new cars.  I don't think VW is going under but VW is not too big to fail and it could very quickly find its outgoings - staff, overheads and fines - outstripping dwindling sales.
Saab, Daewoo, VW?  I hope not.

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2015, 09:20:53 pm »
If the word "cheat" changes to "fraud" then bye bye VW!

Offline Mk5Dom

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2015, 01:08:14 pm »
 :sad1:
Past: MY07/Mk5 Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS Manual Steel Grey Metallic
Present: MY13/Mk7 Golf GT 2.0 TDI 150PS DSG Tornado Red, MY14/2K Caddy Startline 1.6 TDI 102PS Manual Candy White

Offline ARV_90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2015, 06:16:40 pm »
Great !!!!