Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear quarter dent  (Read 2286 times)

Offline Jay_ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
Rear quarter dent
« on: October 19, 2015, 07:16:00 pm »
Evening all. Not been a great weekend I managed to reverse my car in to a work bench in my garage leaving a dent on the quarter/arch. Been to a few places today that do dent removal and getting mixed responses on how to sort it. Got a couple people's saying it will need to be done by a body shop and others saying paintless dent removal may be possible but will be difficult as it's double skinned where the dent is. So just thought I'd see if anyone has any experience with a similar dent and how they sorted it.

Hard to get a good picture of it.

sent from my galaxy s6

Offline HandyAndy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • MkV Golf GTs 140
Re: Rear quarter dent
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 09:48:39 pm »
Evening Jay. I used to work in a large car plant at Burnaston Derbyshire. One of my jobs was body repair, we used to deal with all kinds of damage caused on the production lines.

Looking at the pic I'd say its a very difficult area to remove a dent as you look as though you have dented across the wheel arch character line. Yes I'd agree its a double skin area and this means it will be extremely difficult to push out from behind.

Before I would make any attempt to effect a repair, a partial strip under the wheel arch would be the first thing then see what panels are where and what access there is to work in.

Worst case would be to pull out what can be pulled with the dent puller and slide hammer to remove the dent, lead up where the puller was tacked on the bodywork and file and smooth off ready for a local paint repair.

One thing going in your favour is its a flat colour, not metallic paint so blending in shouldn't be an issue.

United grey - Mk5 GTs [140] TDI on a 08 reg.

Offline Jay_ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
Re: Rear quarter dent
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 12:19:34 pm »
Evening Jay. I used to work in a large car plant at Burnaston Derbyshire. One of my jobs was body repair, we used to deal with all kinds of damage caused on the production lines.

Looking at the pic I'd say its a very difficult area to remove a dent as you look as though you have dented across the wheel arch character line. Yes I'd agree its a double skin area and this means it will be extremely difficult to push out from behind.

Before I would make any attempt to effect a repair, a partial strip under the wheel arch would be the first thing then see what panels are where and what access there is to work in.

Worst case would be to pull out what can be pulled with the dent puller and slide hammer to remove the dent, lead up where the puller was tacked on the bodywork and file and smooth off ready for a local paint repair.

One thing going in your favour is its a flat colour, not metallic paint so blending in shouldn't be an issue.
Cheers for the reply mate it looks like it's going to need pulling out as there no access to it. Been quoted £300 max to do the job, but I'm going to be getting a r32 rear bumper after Xmas so going to put up with the dent until then and get the bumper and dent repaired/painted all at once.

sent from my galaxy s6