Make a donation

Author Topic: Wheels / offsets / widths / arch sizes  (Read 2170 times)

Offline MarkyN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
    • www.instagram.com/marky_n
Wheels / offsets / widths / arch sizes
« on: November 13, 2015, 07:41:22 am »
Morning people! Am looking at getting some new wheels for next year, at the moment am running OEM GTi 17" alloys
225/45/17 7.5J ET38 with 20mm spacers on the rear
Lowered on coilovers, wound right down but am able to put the coilovers up a little bit to make the wheels fit, would rather not though

Am loving point at going 9j all round if I can??

What offsets would people be using? I can get rid of the spacers no problem but I would like the wheels kinda flush but not too close to wear away the tires and arches.

What info have people got? If possible pictures of their set ups and information about the wheels?

dansmith180

Re: Wheels / offsets / widths / arch sizes
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 08:24:30 am »
OEM wheels are ET51, ET38 with 20mm spacers would be scrubbing like mad.

I run 9j ET54 wheels with 5mm spacers at the back and only ever scrubbed once with 4 people in the car joining the motorway fast on a heavy curve. I tried 11mm's and they scrubbed a lot.

9j on the front isn't easy because too high offset will foul inside and too low offset will foul outside. You'll need something like et45-et40 and a 215/225 tyre. Front arches will have to be rolled maybe flared to make it driveable if you're low.

Offline jaffa

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 44
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90080.0.html
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 09:39:26 am »
I run 17x9 et 40 all round with 215/45 and doesn't run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MarkyN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 09:43:36 am »
OEM wheels are ET51, ET38 with 20mm spacers would be scrubbing like mad.

I run 9j ET54 wheels with 5mm spacers at the back and only ever scrubbed once with 4 people in the car joining the motorway fast on a heavy curve. I tried 11mm's and they scrubbed a lot.

9j on the front isn't easy because too high offset will foul inside and too low offset will foul outside. You'll need something like et45-et40 and a 215/225 tyre. Front arches will have to be rolled maybe flared to make it driveable if you're low.

My standard Monza 17"s with the 20mm spacers are close but they don't rub at all on the back? Even when have people in the back.
I don't really have people in the back a lot so it's not an issue really. I have checked my gap from wheel now to arch and I'd say I have around 10mm at max before the tires hit the inside of the arch.

So 9s on the front is out the question would you say?

Offline MarkyN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 09:44:10 am »
I run 17x9 et 40 all round with 215/45 and doesn't run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any chance of some pictures mate?

dansmith180

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 10:24:06 am »
Its not out of the question to have 9's on the front at all its just that you have to make sure to get your maths right when working out what offset and tyre you will need.

About the back I was saying that the wheels will be ET51 not ET38 as you've said because otherwise I'm 99% sure they'd rub. Its all about just doing the maths then hoping for the best  :signLOL:

Offline MarkyN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 11:31:49 am »
Well I definitely have 20mm spacers on the rear and it's close but not touching the arches as yet.
Was hoping for the 9J and getting them to fit as close as I can to what I have now.

I'll have to do a little bit more research before I go jumping in feet first I reckon. Cheers mate