Make a donation

Author Topic: Scuffing noise from back of car when first pulling away  (Read 1505 times)

Offline gazcos

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Scuffing noise from back of car when first pulling away
« on: November 17, 2015, 08:54:57 am »
My DSG Golf has this annoying problem that when I first pull away I hear this brief loud scuffing noise from the back of the car. Its like something quickly touching the inner arch but I've checked and there's simply nothing to see. It only seems to do it within the first minute or so of pulling away. When I first bought the car I used to get a bit of noise from the rear disc dirt shields but this is a different noise. Is there anything else at the rear of these that is known for making a scuffing sound when cold?   

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
Re: Scuffing noise from back of car when first pulling away
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 11:38:52 am »
Sounds like rust on the brake discs, clears after the first few times you touch the brake pedal

Mine sometimes makes a really loud noise where the pad seems to slightly stick to the disc and not release with the handbrake (again only after rain and the car has stood for a day or so - again surface rust)
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline gazcos

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 05:35:35 pm »
Sounds like rust on the brake discs, clears after the first few times you touch the brake pedal

Mine sometimes makes a really loud noise where the pad seems to slightly stick to the disc and not release with the handbrake (again only after rain and the car has stood for a day or so - again surface rust)

Hi thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure its rust on the discs, its sounds more of a scuffing noise, it doesn't happen when you first pull away but it could be 10 seconds after and its more of a short sharp noise maybe half a second or so, its hard to describe. Also being a DSG I don't use the handbrake.

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 03:51:36 pm »
Maybe check the inner discs as they can be heavily scored.
Also check the exhaust heat shields.

M