Make a donation

Author Topic: Ohlins road and track - reliable UK suppliers and best price  (Read 8420 times)

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
Re: Ohlins road and track - reliable UK suppliers and best price
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 07:51:46 am »
Well, I've narrowed it down to either PSS10's or KWv3.
Soon after Christmas I'll make a decision and get on with it.

Thanks all for your thoughts and input!  :happy2:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 10:29:47 pm by flashp »

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 09:29:24 am »
If it helps, I switched from KW V3 to PSS10...

I think a combination of; Me having less experience of other premium coilover kits, the roads where I lived at the time (Germany) being in much better condition and having never really had the chance/need to adjust the V3s, led me to think they were great.

I thought I was probably bonkers for shelling out to switch from one 'premium' coilover kit to another. But....

The PSS!) are far better than the V3s were!

It maybe an [edit] *isolated issue but the guy I sold the V3 to said they developed a knock or a squeak (can't remember) not long after fitting.  They had been on my car previously, looked after and done around 35k from new.

It could probably happen on any car in the winter with road use but the adjuster ring did seize on the V3 while I owned them so I  chopped it off & bought a new one;

The Bilstein are much, much easier to adjust.  Im not sure if KW have since revised the design.

Bilstein have a Uk base in Leicester, which I learnt recently and can be called up on for advice on settings and/or support.

My rear shocks.  Im sure you know what they look like lol;

I often run the dampers on the softest setting on the road and try settings from medium to hard on track and am really impressed with the PSS10!

@vRSAlex at AKS Tuning sorted me and quite a few others on here with my Bilsteins, Ive added adjustable top mounts and adjustable superpro ball joints.  Makes an awesome setup for road and track.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 10:43:15 am by Tfsi_Mike »

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 03:00:33 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to put that post together Mike, it's very much appreciated.
Things like this get my attention from an engineering perspective.

Is it fair to say then that the ride from the PSS10's exceeds that of KW v3 for you?
I realize that other components may affect the assessment such as ARB's etc.

I have Eibach ARB's and also have TTRS arms allowing -2.85 camber to be set which is working well for me currently.

I'm a little nervous as the B12 kit I have has done and continues to do extremely well for me, but I'd like to determine if a coilover setup could improve things further still. The B12 over standard is a big leap forward, I'm not sure what my expectations should be with my next step.

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 11:46:19 pm »
Sorry guys just seen this topic.

Yep got the Ohlins set on mine (Ed30)..using the kit supplied springs rather than the Alex (AKS) harder set up. Very pleased..for me it was a lot cheaper 'man maths' equation than buying a mk7 Golf R.

Got mine via GNJ Motorsport..not sure if Graeme still frequents this forum?

That said if buying again..or advising anyone on here I'd probably just go to Mick Gardner Racing at Barnsley. They are the official Ohlins Centre. Russell Walton who runs it there is a top bloke and really knows the world of suspension both on and off road, plus track. 
MGR fully designed and developed the Ariel Nomad for info as that can be spec'd with Ohlins.

Anyone need anything more..just pm me. I'm gradually having more forum reading time these days..

Mark

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 02:52:47 pm »
Thanks Mark.  :happy2: