Make a donation

Author Topic: Brake upgrade question.  (Read 7828 times)

Offline Leeroy87

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Brake upgrade question.
« on: December 19, 2015, 09:51:01 pm »
Hi guys,

Picked up my edition 30 today and over the moon with it!. However I had bad brake fade after some spirited driving  :signLOL:

After searching...
Ive just ordered some ate blue brake fluid.
Been looking for R32 / S3 calipers.

Would 2008 S3 calipers fit?

Am I right in thinking I just need the calipers, carriers, new pads and new 345mm discs?

Do I need the shields and brake lines from the s3 or just order some braided lines for mk5 golf?

Just need a shopping list if someone could please lol.

Thanks  :happy2:

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
Re: Brake upgrade question.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 03:43:13 pm »
I'm always quite surprised when I hear of brake fade on a road driven car, particularly a standard vehicle with brakes that are in good repair. Are you sure you don't need to service/repair your braking system??

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 03:52:25 pm »
I'm always quite surprised when I hear of brake fade on a road driven car, particularly a standard vehicle with brakes that are in good repair. Are you sure you don't need to service/repair your braking system??
Totally agree with your question. First make sure your brakes are in order. :smiley:

The R32/S3 calipers require an angled banjo tip braided line to fit correctly, deleting the caliper OEM hard pipe. The other calipers don't, AFAIK.

Those calipers from the 2008 S3 will fit. Any A3 8P or later will have compatible calipers, AFAIK.

You don't need new shields but you can get them if you like.

Offline Leeroy87

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 05:20:46 pm »
Thanks for the replies  :happy2: 

I checked the rear brakes today and they both have a few mm left lol. I'm going to order some r32 or s3 calipers etc tomorrow. What size discs will be needed for the rears with r32/s3 calipers?

Recommend pads?

Thanks

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 10:18:02 pm »
I have a standard 200ps gti dsg and I think the brakes are very good and sharp so assuming the ed30 are different?.

Offline Newbieintown

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 10:45:38 pm »
Hi Leeroy if your going to be selling on your edition 30 calipers I would be interested.
MK5 Golf GTI
200bhp
Tornado Red

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 02:01:44 am »
Thanks for the replies  :happy2: 

I checked the rear brakes today and they both have a few mm left lol. I'm going to order some r32 or s3 calipers etc tomorrow. What size discs will be needed for the rears with r32/s3 calipers?

Recommend pads?

Thanks
You need 310 mm vented discs for the rear.

I chose Ferodo DS2500 for the rear.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 02:03:20 am »
I have a standard 200ps gti dsg and I think the brakes are very good and sharp so assuming the ed30 are different?.
R32/S3 brakes are sharper. Brembos are even better.

Ed. 30 share the same brakes with the GTI.

Kam88

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 06:44:43 am »
Hi guys,

Picked up my edition 30 today and over the moon with it!. However I had bad brake fade after some spirited driving  :signLOL:

After searching...
Ive just ordered some ate blue brake fluid.
Been looking for R32 / S3 calipers.

Would 2008 S3 calipers fit?

Am I right in thinking I just need the calipers, carriers, new pads and new 345mm discs?

Do I need the shields and brake lines from the s3 or just order some braided lines for mk5 golf?

Just need a shopping list if someone could please lol.

Thanks  :happy2:

@Leeroy87
Hi mate i just took these off my edition 30 these are direct fit if you are interested also pretty much new discs and pads

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,102921.msg1003644.html#msg1003644

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 07:49:06 am »

I have to agree, my edition 30 is at stage 2+ and on standard brakes, I have no doubt on a track day I could kill them off with this amount of power, but on the road unless I drive really badly and erratically, constantly braking and accelerating , not smooth at all, or simply like a complete loon and braking down from 100+mph repeatedly, I just don't see how I could over stress the standard breaks on the road. Track day yes, no doubt at all, but on the road they seem perfectly up to the job

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 679
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 11:25:17 am »
/\  Same.  Running stage2 ED30 with standard brakes and not found them lacking for road use.

Braking from 100ish on a downhill dual-carriageway exit is about the only time I've felt they were a little lacking, but that accounts for about 1% of my daily driving.

My only gripe about the brakes is the inconsistent pedal feel.  Sometimes they feel super grabby and other times they need a firmer push.  Vacuum pump on it's way out maybe?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 12:45:08 pm »

Thanks Shoduchi. thought they were the same lol

I guess we need better braking for when driving like loonies or track days and heavy braking.
Brembo's are decent as I had them on my tt.

Out of the three sets, which weigh the heaviest???.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 02:06:20 pm by r5gtt »

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 02:49:54 pm »
/\  Same.  Running stage2 ED30 with standard brakes and not found them lacking for road use.

Braking from 100ish on a downhill dual-carriageway exit is about the only time I've felt they were a little lacking, but that accounts for about 1% of my daily driving.

My only gripe about the brakes is the inconsistent pedal feel.  Sometimes they feel super grabby and other times they need a firmer push.  Vacuum pump on it's way out maybe?

What pads are they? If they are other than OE and have a specific bedding in procedure as performance pads often do, repeat the procedure and see what happens.
How old is your fluid? Has it always been changed on time?
Have you done a track day on them? You may have boiled the fluid and introduced bubbles.

I'd bet on one or more of the above before a brake servo.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 02:52:17 pm »

I guess we need better braking for when driving like loonies or track days and heavy braking.

S3/R32 are the heaviest.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 03:39:19 pm »

S3/R32 are the heaviest.
Exactly what I thought but wanted a second opinion. My old LCR Brembo's felt a lot lighter then the oem ones but the discs were very heavy as they were 323mm but nothing compared to what gti owners are fitting.  :happy2:

M