Make a donation

Author Topic: Gaz's MK5 GTi DSG Unicorn Developments stage 2  (Read 6465 times)

Offline gokgti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
Gaz's MK5 GTi DSG Unicorn Developments stage 2
« on: January 02, 2016, 06:32:14 pm »
Thought i'd make a little thread had my mk 5 DSG a few months now and its had a couple of bits.

Been promising myself a GTi for a while so sold my baked bean 225 and decided to go on the hunt for a DSG one

Found a nice Low owner full history car, 2 cambelt changes, 2 DSG box oil changes, no room left in the book for stamps so well looked after and off a genuine Guy.

Got the car home and done the usual TFSi common bits, fresh Rev G diverter, new PCV, Cam follower, Sump off so fresh pick up pipe and some Silkolene Fuchs 5w40 GT1, NGK BKR8EI-X plugs fitted too.

Ran it standard for about a month then added an MTC induction with big Ram and and an unknown 3 inch turbo back with decat and 2 boxes off an edition 30 a friend was selling standard

Hated the colour combo so set out with the wet and dry some plenty of Satin Black hycote

once that was sorted we got the exhaust on!

Couldnt resist a trip to go and see Rick at Unicorn Developments...

Was over the moon with the results! will be giving it a cylinder head decoke over the next couple of weeks seen as its a touch over 100k!

Night and day difference in the way the car drives and such a massive spread of usability being on a k03 too the pull from low down is like a mapped Pd diesel! Did have to put 2 goodyear asym 2's on the front to try and help things

Cant recommend Rick enough always a pleasure going down, had a touch more to give midrange too but tbh im glad it was capped where we did as over the winter 3rd and 4th gear traction loss down the lanes has caught me out a few times! lol

Last pics are post clean just before christmas

This year is going to bring some s3 console bushes, bigger brakes on the front and decide on suspension to firm it up slightly, ed30 back lights, xenons and decide what 18's will go best on it

Fuel pump internals and an airtec copy cooler is on the list too, maybe a k04 too! would be nice. Will keep the thread updated, not a mental build but just a decent fast road car that i can use every day if needs be

Offline gokgti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
Re: Gaz's MK5 GTi DSG Unicorn Developments stage 2
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 03:34:54 pm »
Woman clipped the passanger door pulling onto her driveway so car has gone into Lloyds bodyshop in liverpool for a new door skin and have the side blown in!

Top job by the guys all genuine VAG parts too, wouldnt of had the car go anywhere else should have it back early next week!

painted pics by monday/tuesday with any luck!

Offline gmwongera

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 11:35:29 am »
Looking neat!!  :congrats:

Offline gokgti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 01:21:16 am »
All back and painted mint cant recommend the guys enough!!head decoke next week when i've got a free day! Car is loving the freeizing cold temps at the minute

Offline Foddykot

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 08:17:08 am »
I like them a lot. Knowledge you very much.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 10:11:29 am »
Graph looks nice and torquey, decent figures.

Good to see a tuner other than R-Tech/Revo getting proper results out of the TFSI.

Offline gokgti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 11:05:10 am »

Good to see a tuner other than R-Tech/Revo getting proper results out of the TFSI.

Rick has been about for many years mate, if you go on audi SRS hes on there. Very knowledgeable guy and no bullsh*t with him if the cars right and the hardware works well he will get you good figures just like Niki. Local to me as well so was a no brainer hes done over 30 cars for me and mates all with cracking results

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 11:06:50 am »

Rick has been about for many years mate, if you go on audi SRS hes on there. Very knowledgeable guy and no bullsh*t with him if the cars right and the hardware works well he will get you good figures just like Niki. Local to me as well so was a no brainer hes done over 30 cars for me and mates all with cracking results
Yeah I've definitely heard of Unicorn on other forums. Sounds like one of the good guys!

Offline gokgti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 07:14:04 pm »

Yeah I've definitely heard of Unicorn on other forums. Sounds like one of the good guys!

Hes a cracking fella, just got a no bullsh*t approach to things. Very clever guy i would not hesitate to go back!

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 10:18:08 pm »
Youve wasted no time modifying your gti. lol

Must be fun to drive

Good to see that you have used unicorn for your mapping. Ive been speaking with him about mapping my car. Long drive byt i feel its more than worth the extra journey

Offline gokgti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 10:51:36 pm »
H&R Springs going on this week! Lad i know is selling bits off his ed30 so snapped them up.

I'll Swap his back to standard Wednesday then get them onto mine the end of the week.

Its cracking to drive bud if anyone was debating using Rick at unicorn and had a standard GTi i'd happily let them drive mine for comparison.

Need to Decide on some 18's for it too!

Offline gokgti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 09:29:49 am »

Excuse the car being filthy but H&R springs on, rides a touch harsher than i expected but im more than happy! Handles a million times better, will polybush the front arm rear bushes next or look into an anti lift kit

Offline An0NyMOUs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 7
  • A Nuisance
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 10:26:06 am »
What mm drop are those springs?
2.0 FSI 4motion

Offline gokgti