Make a donation

Author Topic: ABS/ ESP / tyre presure issue  (Read 17492 times)

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=k143anlah40s6gsfb42j9j7hk2&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
Re: ABS/ ESP tyre presure / DSG not shifting correctly
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2016, 01:45:12 pm »
No  :sad1: As you know I tried, and if it weren't for my remap on Friday (needed to be done for this) then I would have found a way of getting more height, and possibly a 600mm breaker bar opposed to my 900mm one and im sure I would have been able to.
Next time mate.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2016, 09:13:46 am »
Get him to clear the fault for your drive home as you main have a faulty sensor.

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2016, 05:34:32 pm »
Get it scanned with VCDS for the fault code since it's just been cleared before your return journey - as I would expect you've got an ABS sensor on its way out.

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2016, 06:09:47 pm »
Yes the sensor is easier than the wheel bearing!

See what the fault the fault code is though.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2016, 06:20:42 pm »
Ok will do thanks mate

Offline GTI-Rog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 7
    • facebook.com/FreemanDetailing
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95428.0.html
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2016, 06:45:11 am »
I had this problem with my Octavia VRS, one rear ABS ring went, replaced it cleared the codes, then a week later the other hub decided it had enough too!

I would check the other rear hub, as chances are, that maybe knackered also, being the same age (I'm guessing they haven't been replaced before?).

I also sympathise with removing the rear caliper bolts, I removed them quite easily on my VRS, but couldn't budge them on the Golf, due to clearance and having a moment of weakness  :grin:

I hope you get it sorted mate :happy2:
|Ramair Panel Filter|Diamond Black Magic Mk5 Golf GTI OEM+|ED30 rear valance|Monza II 18's|Rev G DV|
Banner 1 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr
|Audi S4 B6 4.2 V8..gone|A3 TFSI Q S line..gone|Gone: Audi A3 3.2 V6 DSG S line|Gone..VW Corrado VR6|

Offline SiofChester

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2016, 11:34:57 am »
I imagine it would be the same as the first time? I dont have vcds, I can use my.uncles though. It seems like I had a corroded abs strip AND a dodgy sensor, seeing as before the hub change the dsg wasnt shifting properly and the.lights would come on at any speed.

Is abs sensor an easy diy?

It's a PITA. I replaced both at the same time so I was 100% sure I had fixed the problem. There was a load of issue getting the right abs sensor as there were about 5 different lengths ones!!! To get the old one out, you should be able to get away with removing the rear disc and tapping the sensor from the outside to the inside. I tried prying it out but it just broke!!!

Offline SiofChester

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2016, 04:12:28 pm »
Yeah, they are different lengths, the only way you can tell is to get the old one out without damaging it (which I couldn't hahaha). I had to use the FEBI website, the local motor factors, TPS and ebay to work out which one I had. Bought a few and sent a couple back!

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2016, 11:43:11 am »
@SiofChester Can you confirm whether the post and video above is the process for changing the sensor?

Can you also let me know which sensor worked for you, as ill chance it as the same of yours. Also, what year is yours, is it a standard GTI and is it manual/DSG?

Thanks

Offline SiofChester

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2016, 11:54:13 am »
That's the theory but mine required a drift to get the sensor out, it was proper rusted in there so I had to take the disc off, not just "undo and remove" in a simple fashion.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2016, 12:06:41 pm »
That's the theory but mine required a drift to get the sensor out, it was proper rusted in there so I had to take the disc off, not just "undo and remove" in a simple fashion.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see. So you got the bolt undone ok or was that what you had to drill? Fingers crossed on mine then. What sensor did you go for? Cheers

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2016, 04:29:34 pm »
So another update. Was in for a service today and asked them to have a look. Unfortunately there was only one guy there who could take the car out so he couldnt read the live data off the wheel properley. He also said when it got to forty it would kick him out of the diagnostic and he couldnt get back in without unplugging the cable and reinserting it. Im dropping it off for the.full day for them to look at it properly.

They think it might still be the hub, and that I got a dodgy one. They really doubt its the sensor. He said the eletrical plug was in good nick and clean. Im going to see what they say next Monday.

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2016, 04:36:51 pm »
The rear hubs can come with a protective cap cover which must be taken off (certain suppliers only and their instructions state removal pre fitting) -  Who supplied your part?
This must not get mistaken for the bonded protective covering on the encoder disc.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2016, 08:03:39 pm »
The rear hubs can come with a protective cap cover which must be taken off (certain suppliers only and their instructions state removal pre fitting) -  Who supplied your part?
This must not get mistaken for the bonded protective covering on the encoder disc.
It was Euro carparts and I think they said it was manufactured by Lusas? I rang the garage and asked about the protective cap and they said they had. Perhaps it needs a genuine hub... havent read anywhere else where someone has replaced with a non genuine part and had these problems.

Offline AndyBrown

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
Re: ABS/ ESP / tyre presure issue
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2016, 08:55:57 pm »
Sorry to hijack the thread, I'm having the same problem. The warning lights go off once the cars restated and there isn't any faults logged, would they only come up in Vcds when the lights are on?

Now presuming it does will it tell me whether it's the sensor I need to change or the full hub?

Thanks.

Edit. My back drivers wheel has developed a slight squeal, well squeals the wrong word it sounds like a bird singing lol. And it's only when I turn aswell which seems strange.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 08:57:35 pm by AndyBrown »