Make a donation

Author Topic: No modding.  (Read 11840 times)

Offline irish_ram

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
Re: No modding.
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 08:25:38 pm »
Modding can be an expensive ay to go and other issues occur after modding but you got to love it or lump it  :signLOL:

I agree and modding is your own preference as i know, the stick I got for suggesting I may change my factory xenons for some Angel Eyes was brutal haha
Is it a bmw  :signLOL: :rolleye:

Agsin each to their own and how they want to modify a car is no one else's business although you'll get critics of good and bad.

haha no it is not but then it aint an R32 either but I am doing the rear  :jumping:

Some people will hate mods and some will love

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 08:54:35 pm »
Modding can be an expensive ay to go and other issues occur after modding but you got to love it or lump it  :signLOL:

I agree and modding is your own preference as i know, the stick I got for suggesting I may change my factory xenons for some Angel Eyes was brutal haha
Is it a bmw  :signLOL: :rolleye:

Agsin each to their own and how they want to modify a car is no one else's business although you'll get critics of good and bad.

haha no it is not but then it aint an R32 either but I am doing the rear  :jumping:

Some people will hate mods and some will love
I'm up for mods as long as fund permit but sadly I have to sell up now as funds will not permit even keeping the car atm.

Offline GSP1973

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2016, 09:46:08 pm »
Go for it mate!!! :driver

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 10:56:59 am »
I've been mulling over changing this and that on the car. Intake pipes . Head unit. Decats, Precats, etc etc. And I've came to the conclusion that I'm happy with my car the way it sits. Lock STOCK and two smoking exhausts !! Fast enough for me. Handles enough for me , pleasure to drive, pleasure to look at. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Maybe it's an age thing!

Having owned and modified VWs for the past 20 years, I can honestly say VW do get most things right at the factory, especially with the MK5!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 11:35:58 am »
I've been mulling over changing this and that on the car. Intake pipes . Head unit. Decats, Precats, etc etc. And I've came to the conclusion that I'm happy with my car the way it sits. Lock STOCK and two smoking exhausts !! Fast enough for me. Handles enough for me , pleasure to drive, pleasure to look at. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Maybe it's an age thing!

Having owned and modified VWs for the past 20 years, I can honestly say VW do get most things right at the factory, especially with the MK5!

I agree, most I have heard from people modding is just enhancing what is already there rather than with some cars people modding them to try and make them look, sound or perform half decent from the standard crap they have  :grin:

Offline numec

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2016, 11:43:39 am »
I'll put the question out to other members. Because I'm certain there are people who love their motors as they are. ??

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Yes, this is my 2nd MK5 GTI and enjoying them stock. Each to their own  :driver:

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2016, 01:26:54 pm »
Modding isn't about trying to make the car better. It's an extension of a hobby. You like your car, so you indulge in it. The process of researching a mod, fitting it, seeing how it performs, is merely for the satisfaction of a hobby.

Say for example you liked to read books, you read one book, then you buy another book. Same with modding, you buy it because it's something you enjoy doing. No part of you thinks this part is ghastly and must be changed.

That being said, I think the MK5 GTI is well rounded and I see no need to change anything. Though, I too keep tinkering with it. Change this part, new tyres, VCDS coding etc.

The MK5 GTI really is all things to all people. I can show it to some youngsters who think it's cool, and happily turn up to work and it's seen as a bit premium. It is essentially a Haribo sweet  :signLOL:
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2016, 01:32:44 pm »
Modding isn't about trying to make the car better. It's an extension of a hobby. You like your car, so you indulge in it. The process of researching a mod, fitting it, seeing how it performs, is merely for the satisfaction of a hobby.

Say for example you liked to read books, you read one book, then you buy another book. Same with modding, you buy it because it's something you enjoy doing. No part of you thinks this part is ghastly and must be changed.

That being said, I think the MK5 GTI is well rounded and I see no need to change anything. Though, I too keep tinkering with it. Change this part, new tyres, VCDS coding etc.

The MK5 GTI really is all things to all people. I can show it to some youngsters who think it's cool, and happily turn up to work and it's seen as a bit premium. It is essentially a Haribo sweet  :signLOL:

I do agree, it is a good car to please all people and can easily make it look like a really sporty car or a nice and refined one. I still believe there are probably better things on the MK7 than the MK5 as that is progression but the MK5 GTI is a true example and back to roots of what the GTI is

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2016, 01:47:06 pm »

No part of you thinks this part is ghastly and must be changed. the oem headlights are ghastly  :signLOL:

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2016, 02:21:56 pm »

No part of you thinks this part is ghastly and must be changed. the oem headlights are ghastly  :signLOL:

Not mine, bi-xenon headlights  :signLOL:
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2016, 02:26:09 pm »

No part of you thinks this part is ghastly and must be changed. the oem headlights are ghastly  :signLOL:

Not mine, bi-xenon headlights  :signLOL:
Nasir,  that's one of the first things I HAD to change  :signLOL: mine came standard lights so couldn't leave them on :P

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2016, 04:52:01 pm »
Yeah I like the xenons and I like the way 3 door Edition 30s look, so ticks all the boxes visually :)

Handling wise, it's good out of the box imo.  It's so good imo, I'd wager aftermarket suspension kits don't offer massively increased cornering speeds.  I like a little roll to get the tyres working and I also like how they've configured the roll centre - feels bang on to me.

Performance, well, that is my only weakness.  I just had to turn the boost up!

Brakes - I have no idea why the GTI's come under so much criticism.  Coming from MK1s, MK2s, MK3s, MK4s, Corrados etc, the standard brakes feel extremely positive and reassuring.  Yeah they might fade a bit on track and silly road speeds, but how often is the latter a daily occurrence?

Interior - tartan not to everyone's tastes, nor the noddy HVAC controls, but it's well laid out, comfy, quiet and practical.  Just a shame the quality isn't brilliant.

So yeah, all in all, the standard offering is a very accomplished all rounder.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2016, 05:04:07 pm »
Yeah I like the xenons and I like the way 3 door Edition 30s look, so ticks all the boxes visually :)

Handling wise, it's good out of the box imo.  It's so good imo, I'd wager aftermarket suspension kits don't offer massively increased cornering speeds.  I like a little roll to get the tyres working and I also like how they've configured the roll centre - feels bang on to me.

Rolls too much and it isn't comfortable enough for my taste. A good aftermarket setup can easily overcome it. :smiley:

Performance, well, that is my only weakness.  I just had to turn the boost up!

Fully agree! It needs at least 1,5 bar. :grin:

Brakes - I have no idea why the GTI's come under so much criticism.  Coming from MK1s, MK2s, MK3s, MK4s, Corrados etc, the standard brakes feel extremely positive and reassuring.  Yeah they might fade a bit on track and silly road speeds, but how often is the latter a daily occurrence?

Even the R32 calipers are a good improvement. With Brembo 18Z at the front and R32 rears I can brake so much harder now. The OEM are really weak for what a Ed. 30 can do. :smiley:

Interior - tartan not to everyone's tastes, nor the noddy HVAC controls, but it's well laid out, comfy, quiet and practical.  Just a shame the quality isn't brilliant.

With a RNS-510 and the mk6 climatronic panel it's more updated. You can also fit a RVC, OPS sensors, BT kit that works with the radio, cluster and steering wheel.

So yeah, all in all, the standard offering is a very accomplished all rounder.

I'm loving it a lot! :driver:

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 12
  • Life is not a straight line!
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2016, 05:37:36 pm »
I planned never to mod my GTI except put some after market wheels on as i'm 35 now, own a house and all that boring crap, but after about 2 months that all went out the window as you can tell by my sig...:(

Steel Grey 2006 Mk5 GTI - R-TECH Stage 1 (268bhp/334ftlb) - BCS Cat Back - Pre-Cat Delete - Carbonio Panel Filter - Rev G DV - 18" BBS CH - Leather - RNS510 - Colour Coded Bumpers and Skirts - ED30 Front Splitter - Eibach Sportlines - Open Fog Grilles - Wind Deflectors.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2016, 06:00:45 pm »
Greenman has no mods lol