Make a donation

Author Topic: Xenon or Bi-xenons?  (Read 2786 times)

Offline fazi123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
Xenon or Bi-xenons?
« on: February 06, 2016, 07:16:12 pm »
Hi guys,

Do all mk5 GTI's that have xenons from factory come with bi-xenons as standard?

Thanks

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
Re: Xenon or Bi-xenons?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 07:18:40 pm »
Hi guys,

Do all mk5 GTI's that have xenons from factory come with bi-xenons as standard?

Thanks
All factory ones came with the bixenon shutter function as standard.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 07:19:45 pm »
But annoyingly, the H7 bulbs in the middle come on with the bi-xenon. Great for extra light, doesn't look as cool when you flash someone.
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline fazi123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 07:20:34 pm »
But annoyingly, the H7 bulbs in the middle come on with the bi-xenon. Great for extra light, doesn't look as cool when you flash someone.

Are you sure? I thought this was only the case when you retrofitted the xenons without the shutter wire?

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 07:21:23 pm »
Check out my YouTube video on how to turn it off  ;)

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 09:33:58 pm »

You can get a Kufatec lead that allows the Xenon shutter to be the 'flash to pass/beam' trigger.

I had exactly the same as you where the inner H7 bulbs acted as the 'flash to pass/beam' bulb when I retrofitted my Xenons and didn't realise or think anymore of it for a couple of years later... Once I realised, I CBA to change it and TBH, I got a much better reaction and response from other drivers with those H7 seperate bulbs than I do the Xenon shutters, and all but one of my cars have had OEM or factory Xenons fitted.

I think the shutter is so sharp and so white that a lot of drivers can't notice the bulb shutter speed because it's in the same place as the dipped beam bulb. At least with a different position bulb doing the beam'ing effect, the eyes catch a sequence and notice the 'flash' more clearly :grin: :laugh: :rolleye:

:happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 10:10:28 pm »

Are you sure? I thought this was only the case when you retrofitted the xenons without the shutter wire?

Certain. Mine are factory fitted bi-xenons. The bi-xenon works in conjunction with the H7 bulbs.

Very informative video  :happy2:

I'll consider this in the future. Once I can be bothered to plug my VCDS in  :signLOL:

You can get a Kufatec lead that allows the Xenon shutter to be the 'flash to pass/beam' trigger.

I had exactly the same as you where the inner H7 bulbs acted as the 'flash to pass/beam' bulb when I retrofitted my Xenons and didn't realise or think anymore of it for a couple of years later... Once I realised, I CBA to change it and TBH, I got a much better reaction and response from other drivers with those H7 seperate bulbs than I do the Xenon shutters, and all but one of my cars have had OEM or factory Xenons fitted.

I think the shutter is so sharp and so white that a lot of drivers can't notice the bulb shutter speed because it's in the same place as the dipped beam bulb. At least with a different position bulb doing the beam'ing effect, the eyes catch a sequence and notice the 'flash' more clearly :grin: :laugh: :rolleye:

:happy2:

Yeah I thought that could be an issue. The shutter moves so quickly and the beam goes on and off so quickly that other people may not notice.

Plus the H7 plus the bi-xenon is super bright on dark country lanes.
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 12:14:29 am »
Every time you light the xenons you're reducing the longevity of the bulbs and igniters. Check their prices and then tell if you want to reduce their longevity.  :wink: