Make a donation

Author Topic: Boot badge rust  (Read 6232 times)

Offline Prewy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
Boot badge rust
« on: February 10, 2016, 04:15:52 pm »
So I have the dreaded rust issue starting to bubble around the tailgate badge. Wings done few months back but dealer and body shop do not wish to know regarding the boot!
My question is has anyone fixed issue by themselves, did you find an independent body shop, maybe sourced decent second hand tailgate, maybe just repaired problem area?
Any ideas warmly received, thank you.

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
Re: Boot badge rust
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 04:44:38 pm »
Why don't they want to know? Wave their 12 year corrosion warranty in their face.
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline Prewy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 04:53:54 pm »
The usual comment about mechanical part only covered for three years! Have tried dealer I purchased from and another more local, same story and to be honest has put me off VW, shame as I do like my mk5.

Offline white91

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 05:15:26 pm »
I touched mine in with a pen, but I caught it early when changing the handle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gtivirgin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 09:08:44 pm »
I had one wing repaired and had dealer look at the boot and they initially flat out refused it. I sent an email back to the warranty advisor the other day basically saying I didn't agree with their reasoning behind refusing it and asked if there was anyone further in the warranty department or customer services I could contact regarding the matter. Got an email back within a couple of minutes saying if I can send over some pics of the boot they will see what they can do. Will update if I get anywhere. I suspect the mention of customer services has probably got them to react to try and avoid any bad feedback. Persistence may be the key.

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 09:15:35 pm »
Yes it's still bodywork at the end of the day. They have numbers to meet too so yeah just keep on at them.
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline CarlW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92229.msg927100.html#msg927100
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 09:43:46 pm »
Exactly the same has happened with my boot lid too. Haven't yet called into Preston VW lookers but hoping too on monday but not hopeful as they weren't interested the last time I visited a year ago when i went in about the wings.

UPDATE**
Took mine to Blackburn dealership yesterday regarding the boot lid around the badge. Whilst I was there I also asked about the passenger wing that has been re-sprayed badly by previous owner and also bottom corners of both doors where it meets the front wings as they are also missing some paint. No clue as to when I will hear back fro them or if it will be good news or bad news but I will also keep this thread updated with whatever happens.

@gtivirgin Would you be willing to post what you wrote in your email regarding your reply back to the Dealership when they refused the work? May help myself and others if any of us have the same issue and need to write an email or even over the phone depending what method they use.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 05:24:15 pm by CarlW »

Offline Prewy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 11:28:31 pm »
Spoke with bodyshop who did my wings, they recall me asking about the tailgate but never heard back from the dealer.they were going to chase it up and get back to me, that was last week and still waiting! Like you guys say persistance may be the key and start sending some e-mails.

Offline gtivirgin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 09:03:48 pm »
@CarlW Sorry for the wall of text. I am happy to give some further details. Would paste the email but out of context it won't make much sense and I wouldn't want to post up emails or details from the dealer as that wouldn't be proper.

Probably best to include background to everything though as it seems some dealers inspect cars themselves, others send you to a bodyshop, first dealer I emailed basically had a girl ring me back and gave me the number of the body shop they use and tell me to take it there but when I asked about the warranty process she didn't actually seem to have any idea and just kept saying ring them so I tried another VW dealer with better rep which seems to play a big part in how you will get on with your claim.

Originally my car went in for a service and cambelt and some other bits (nearly a grand all in, figured this was a good start to getting them to approve warranty stuff handing over a wad of cash). I asked them to look at the wings of which I knew one was rusting due to the foam liners as I pulled them off myself and they were soaking days after it had rained, along with the boot badge rust. Had to remind them a couple of times that I wanted it looked at as they kept saying they were taking note of it but never asked about it until I kept bringing it up again. Got the car back from the service and was told the wing that was rusted was approved for repair but the boot wasn't. I was informed by the service advisor so didn't follow it up with them.

Few days later I got an email from the warranty person organising the wing repair so I emailed asking why the boot was refused. Their response was they felt it was caused by damage to the paint work inflicted by opening the boot with keys in hand or rings on (there is no real evidence of this) and that VWG had declined to look into it further. I didn't reply to that email until recently. The car had been in with the body shop (3rd party VW approved local one that they always use) for the wing and while it was there I got them to look at the boot to give me an estimate and the guy I spoke to agreed it was odd that VW had declined the boot when it was clearly caused by the design fault causing water to sit in there.

Having got my car back and thinking it over I decided to email them back as I felt their reasoning or VWs reasoning behind refusing the boot was just a complete fob off as when operating the boot latch your hands don't come close to touching the actual bodywork, at least mine don't when I do it, and I don't wear rings or hold my keys when I do it. I basically sent an email back stating that their hypothetical reasoning as to how the damage was caused didn't make any sense and that I couldn't have caused the damage myself that way and that the body shop had looked at it and were surprised it wasn't approved. Mentioned its a well documented issue and has been covered by other dealers etc etc. Basically without being rude (I think lol) I made it clear I completely disagreed with their view on it. I finished off the email stating that the car had been well looked after, always serviced on time with VW, is low mileage (not even hit 60k for a 55 plate). I then asked as VWG had declined the repair, was there anyone further in the warranty department or customer service I could contact regarding this matter. Didn't explicitly state I wanted to complain or anything but basically just made it clear I wasn't happy with the answer I was getting and wanted to take it further.

May be worth noting I haven't done my customer survey for the service yet, unsure if they can see that it hasn't been completed (obviously it is anonymous so they may only get figures back telling them if they had good or bad reviews rather than any knowledge of if customer aren't filling them out though I am sure they probably get encouraged to make sure customers fill them out as they ring and remind you and then VW emails you loads). It probably helps that I am actually a paying customer of theirs and also a new customer so I presume they want to avoid getting bad feedback from me for the service over the warranty issue so are now willing to pursue it with VW further for me.

Sent over some pictures the other day to them and am awaiting a response now but the warranty guy seems helpful. I think email is best as you can put across a concise and level argument and not lose your rag, or in my case get fobbed off easily as I don't do well talking to people over the phone. I think it's best to keep your cool and be persistent, the warranty is 12 years so you are right to be asking for them to honour it as it is basically part of the value of the car and reason you choose a VW. Will update to let you guys know how I get on.

Hope this helps.

Offline CarlW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 23
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92229.msg927100.html#msg927100
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 05:50:59 pm »
Brilliant that :happy2: Makes a good template to keep referring back to.

Offline ady-uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 08:23:50 am »
I have same problem.
My car is booked into Evesham tomorrow, to have both wings done in Coventry.

However they are totally rejecting the boot, well unless they can tempt me, which is bribery!

Here is what I have sent VW Customer services....... (can only use 2000 characters so had to keep rewording parts)

My car is booked into VW Evesham, Saturday, to have wings repaired / painted under the 12 year corrosion warranty.
Coventry body shop will do the work during the following days.

However the area of my boot lid, under the badge, has the same problem (bubbling / corrosion of paint work).
The person at Evesham inspected my boot lid, took measurements & told me paint was original but argued it's not covered under warranty!

Now this is interesting...& I've recorded it for reference, as there are contradictions

He told me it's edge and wear corrosion - only covered for three years
WRONG - it is same corrosion as on the wings and my manual states 12 years

He also said, it's 10 years but 12 years for good will, if customer has regular service history!
WRONG again - my manual states, in black and white 12 years warranty - NOT 10

Another time, when pressing to get my boot repaired, he said
Would I give them business, is it in there interest?  If I took out a service plan, at nearly £500, then we could discuss.
That is bribery! Also indicates it's covered under warranty, but I have to accept his bribery first!

He also said if I'd bought a new VW from them, gave them lots of custom then it'd be different!
SORRY, I bought car second hand, It's regularly serviced and stamped, I had cambelt & waterpump done in Stratford branch
I intend to keep up with VW services in future, I need an oil change in April & Haldex 4motion oil change soon, but only with a garage that'll honor my tail gate warranty, as expected!

Claiming my boot lid is not covered, but could be, depending on the mood is a shambles!

I am a member of several VW forums & the boot lid corrosion is very common fault.  Some are having good success with claims, others are not!
This need bringing to media attention, everyone needs to be aware that a warranty, in black & white, means exactly that!
I'll be taking this matter further, contacting watchdog & seeking legal advice.
VW Golf 2.0 Gtd 140 4motion (2005)
Factory fitted: xenons, sunroof, heated leather seats, fold in mirrors with downlights,
Custom: Mk6 steering wheel, updated gateway, RNS510 remote boot pop, LED lighting.

Offline Mev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 08:09:33 pm »
I had the same tosh from my local dealers and had some scary quote for a new one so bought a complete bootlid from eBay (£50), same colour paint/ wrong colour glass from a tdi, swapped the wiring, as mine has  slightly different connectors and paid £70 for the glass to be swapped from my old one. The real PITA was moving the GTI spoiler across. After selling excess parts e.g. lights, handle/ badge and trim,rear screen, lock and old tailgate,I broke even. Total time :
0.5 day pick up tailgate, 2 hrs changing wiring and badges, 1 hrs refit and adjusting with neighbour, 0.5 day remove spoiler and rebond.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 08:11:11 pm by Mev »

Offline wezoo2010

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 03:50:53 pm »
I had the same problem when I bought mine , it had come right through
Got a local body shop to repair it but 2 mkonths later and you can just see it starting to come through again
So I guess the only fix is a replacement boot

Offline Prewy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 06:46:07 pm »
Thank you so much for the replys, very interesting. So there I was all ready to write out another e mail using some of your wording when I decided to make a call instead. I called the sales manager at the dealership I purchased from last year, first of all he denied all knowledge of receiving e mails from myself or the body shop agents over the last six months, he then informed me that he wasn't trying to cover up anything! Bit of a strange thing to say I thought, also that he speaks to the body shop daily.
Anyway the upshot is and again strange but thankful on my part but he said to get it booked in, if VW head office don't pay then the dealership will cover it :congrats: now I don't know neither do I care if it is because I purchased approved used or the fact I'm not giving up got me there but all I will say if anyone is in the same boat don't take no for an answer and keep at it. I'm all confirmed for new tailgate later this month, happy days. Any change then I will update.