Make a donation

Author Topic: Haldex oil and filter  (Read 2924 times)

Offline s3dubbin

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Haldex oil and filter
« on: February 17, 2016, 01:03:03 pm »
I am trying to find out if the haldex filter has to be changed on my manual 2007 s3 8p? Are both oil and filter changed on a mk5 r32? Are they the same? Is it just oil or both? I am asking because I have been quoted different prices.

Thanks, Stevie.

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
Re: Haldex oil and filter
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 01:08:41 pm »
Yes both. The filter doesn't cost that much so pointless skipping it.
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline s3dubbin

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 01:38:02 pm »
Originally I phoned VW. They said only oil not filter, so I asked her again are you sure. Yes only oil its the same as r32....hence the cheap price compared to oil and filter.

Thanks for the reply.

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 02:02:41 pm »
Don't listen to the dealer as they just want you to damage your haldex controller and then cry when they hit you with a bill of £1500

CHANGE BOTH FILTER AND OIL FOR WHAT 70 parts lol I had a tt mk1 and replaced both.

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 02:58:55 pm »
Not sure why filter is around 50-70 as it's just a filter but better to change it whilst oil is being done as old filter will be contaminated.
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline s3dubbin

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 04:19:09 pm »
No probs. Will be booking it in for both, makes sense on a 500+bhp car. Cheers for that. Appreciate it.

Stevie.  :happy2:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 07:19:55 pm »
I wonder if they use a metal filter as the one I bought from gsf was plastic.

anorganix

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 07:16:37 am »
As others have said you have to change both filter and haldex oil, every 60.000 km AFAIK.

I can't remember the code for the filter, but the oil one is G 055 175 A2.
You will need ~900ml, so one bottle should be enough.

When doing the operation the oil which needs to be drained has to have a certain temperature but I can't remember how much exactly.
That's why I'd recommend doing the job with someone who knows what they are doing and has the proper tools (drain lines, VCDS for oil temperature measurement, etc).

Good luck!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 07:27:08 am by anorganix »

Offline s3dubbin

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 08:27:22 am »
Perfect. I will save that number. Everything should go well, the garage I am using are good at their job. Will need to see if it's a metal or plastic filter used. It's just turned 50k miles so will get it done next couple of weeks.

Thanks, Stevie. :drinking:

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 10:01:23 am »
Sounds daft but make sure your dealer actually knows what they are talking about... I bought my R32 from a VW dealership two years ago, and asked them to perform a Haldex service as there was no evidence of it being done in the service book.

They drained both the diff oil and haldex fluid, changed the filter, then refilled both fluids but with incorrect amounts. Long story short, the Haldex unit ate itself after 3 weeks and the dealer had to supply and fit a new 'Final drive unit' to the tune of £3600  :laugh:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 07:57:18 pm »
Perfect. I will save that number. Everything should go well, the garage I am using are good at their job. Will need to see if it's a metal or plastic filter used. It's just turned 50k miles so will get it done next couple of weeks.

Thanks, Stevie. :drinking:
Do it asap as it doesn't take long for the haldex controller to F up. The insurance approved knobs had my car in for a repair and the haldex controller failed and they weren't admitting liability as it was in their hands. bas***** £1500 for the unit fitred from audi but I found a complete diff for £80 with controller so replaced the controller and oil and filter and all was well again no thanks to those repairers. it was due for a filter and oil but some young kid crashed into it and I had a nightmare of a time with the insurance and repair to last me a life time.

Good luck  :happy2: