Make a donation

Author Topic: Thinking about a purchase ...  (Read 1408 times)

Offline 80walk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Thinking about a purchase ...
« on: February 17, 2016, 11:18:03 pm »

any other tips for looking at one of these would be appreciated

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 10:00:26 pm by 80walk »

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
Re: Thinking about a purchase ...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 08:42:57 am »
My buddy is in the exact same boat as you.. His mk4 is costing him as much to repair as it would to get a low end mk5 at this stage so he actually wants to buy mine!

I personally prefer manual which is what I went for because unless you know the history of the servicing of the DSG and the previous owner(s) were enthusiasts it could cost you a small fortune! Tell tale sign is hesitation when pulling in low gear... Get a current DSG GTI owner to test your future car. They'll know if it feels different!

Rust in Ireland is not an issue... UK uses much more salt on the roads so the wheel arches rust. It's really not a big deal, enough fighting with VW and they'll look after some of the cost. Early models also suffer boot badge rust, again a cheap replacement and finally the diamond cut alloys will develop white worm eventually but you can either re surface or spray paint!

When you eventually find the exact car you want, post the link on here and ask for advice then get a current GTI owner to come with you and if they have a VCDS cable to scan the car it's even better!

Offline 80walk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 04:04:32 pm »
I hear nightmare stories about these cars rusting but are they that bad ?

is it true that 2005 models with DSG wont be fitted with paddles on steering wheel ? is it a negative point not to have it & can u still have the same functionality with the gear stick ?

car im looking at is on 68,000 miles ... when and how often should the DSG be serviced ?
what would the likely things be to change after purchase .... diverter valve would be No. 1 i guess to start off ....

Offline v4rley

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 07:13:24 pm »
Paddles in early DSG was optional..

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 07:19:45 pm »
I recently went from a mk4 Gti (mapped to around 190bhp) to a Mk5 gti.

The mk5 is better in every way.  Quicker, MUCH better handling out the box.

Rust wise - my 2007 had minor wing rust which the dealer fixed under warranty.

The prices of mk4s has plummeted recently, so I can see how the mk5 looks expensive.