Make a donation

Author Topic: Help with removal of un-used reversing camera  (Read 847 times)

Offline Berry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Help with removal of un-used reversing camera
« on: March 04, 2016, 01:43:31 pm »
I have a reversing camera that has been on the car since I bought it but the previous owner didn't get on with the pioneer head unit so took it out, leaving the camera/numberplate light combo.

I've decided I'm just not bothered about a reversing cam, in my 14 years of driving I've never reversed into anything so trust my capabilities tbh, as bling as it is.
The issue is that the LED light started flicking on and off when I tapped it, and now isn't coming on at all. When I unclip the unit it's wired directly and barely any slack.

I have a new genuine LED numberplate unit to put in its place, and a spare plug, shall I just cut the old unit off and connect with a chock block the spare plug onto that, giving me a connector to then plug the new unit to?
Sorry that's all a bit long winded-that make sense?

I was hoping when I removed it it'd just be a case of simply unplugging it! Do you think that plug has been left loose inside the bumper somewhere?
If you guys have any better/proper ideas that'll be greatly appreciated.

Help would be much appreciated as I have my MOT in 2 weeks and I'm told will fail with only 1 working numberplate light!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 01:46:33 pm by Berry »
Shadow Blue MK5 GTI

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 67
  • Instagram & YouTube - mateyguv
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69555.0.html
Re: Help with removal of un-used reversing camera
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 03:18:25 pm »
If both live and earth have been snipped and connected to the reverse camera unit  it's unlikely the standard conntector will be there but have a look in the cavity if you can. Worst case the rear bumper is fairly easy to take off so you can replace the connector  :happy2:
What have you tapped into the cables for?

Offline Berry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 06:16:05 pm »
If both live and earth have been snipped and connected to the reverse camera unit  it's unlikely the standard conntector will be there but have a look in the cavity if you can. Worst case the rear bumper is fairly easy to take off so you can replace the connector  :happy2:
What have you tapped into the cables for?

Cheers for the reply. Yeah that's what I'm thinking. If that's the case and the original isn't still dangling around in there somewhere would it be ok just to use a choc block or will that give too much resistance or something and throw an error?
I wasn't tapping into the wire, I meant just tapping the outside of the light with my finger!

Shadow Blue MK5 GTI

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 67
  • Instagram & YouTube - mateyguv
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69555.0.html
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 08:27:08 pm »
I'd get a replacement connector and suitable repair wires from TPS and use a crimped connector to join them. Or go to a salvage yard and snip off a genuine connector and crimp onto the snipped wires. Blocks are really a house hold solution tbf  :happy2: