Make a donation

Author Topic: Stephen's Grey Mk5 Tfsi  (Read 9379 times)

Offline stephen_295

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Stephen's Grey Mk5 Tfsi
« on: April 04, 2016, 04:28:48 pm »
Hi! I'm Stephen, 23, from Co Wicklow in Ireland.
I've been lurking here for a few months but have recently bought a Mk5 Gti. The original plan was to use this as my daily as I also have a Mercedes Cl500 W215 which was going to be my project. Things quickly changed as I discovered how fun and easy it is to modify the Mk5!

I will paste my current thread that I have over on another Irish Vag site and update here from now as things progress. Thanks!

I picked this up from Ben on Saturday and will be enjoying it as is for now. I have a few ideas in mind but not sure yet which way I want to go with the car.

Enjoy!
 When I went to Collect it:

After a good wash:

Back with the CL:

Factory Spec:

Auto-dimming rear view mirror
Rain Sensing wipers
Factory Fitted Aero wipers
Electric mirrors
Electric windows all round
Winter pack (consists of Heated front seats, Headlight washers and heated mirrors)
Coming home / Leaving home lights
ISO FIX

Factory Extras:

Full Cream Leather Recaro Interior, heated front seats
Dual Climate Control
Xenon Lights, Headlight Washers
DSG Gear Box (Multi Function Steering Wheel with Paddles Retro-fitted)
18” Detroit’s
Metallic Steel Grey

Modifications:

RNS510 Headunit
Full R32 brake upgrade, powder coated yellow, front & rear
Front & Rear Mintex pads
Lowered 40mm H&R Springs
Neuspeed Braided hoses
Full Miltek Turbo-Back exhaust system
Powerflex Polybushed, front end (wishbones, dog bone mount)
OE+ LED rear light clusters
Black Vinyl roof
Colour coded front, side & rear plastics
Mirrors sprayed gloss black with genuine carbon covers
Smoked In Pro side repeaters
2 sets of mats, black & cream
S/S fret cut GTI badges on seats & foot rest
Centre console bottle opener
Unknown Rear-LED lights

And... It's mapped. (Dyno Print-Out to come)

The plan was to keep this, do a few small bits and focus on the CL500..
After doing a bit of Googling I found it's almost too easy to modify these cars.
I started doing a little shopping..

First thing I decided to upgrade was the DV. I opted for the OEM Revision-D model as there were too many conflicting reviews on any sort of aftermarket DV's. It arrived in 2 days from America.

I then went for a little look on Ebay. The golf currently has an RNS510. Great system but it doesn't have the AUX port set up.
I found this neat little piece of kit for less than €30.

The biggest buy were these Genuine Abt Sportsline OZ racing 2 piece splits. Freshly refurbished.

I'm picking up another nice piece of kit on Tuesday. Hopefully it will go some way towards power increase  :twisted:

I've done the "Stupid Low" thing with a few cars so I may leave the car as it is, height wise, and focus on getting a few extra BHP. I'll have to wait and see how the new wheels sit.
I'll upload pictures later of them when  fitted.

Okay so I couldn't wait any longer and fitted the wheels this morning.
Excuse the dirt on the car. The car wash was out of order and I didn't have time to be messing around at home.
I'm delighted with how they look on the car, especially the front with the R32 calipers.
I will deff need to lower the car a little but there are other things on the list before coilovers.

So Mick got it in one....
I picked up this rather large Front Mount Intercooler this evening.
I put my 15.6" Laptop beside it just to try show how big it is!

I also found these DSG Paddle extensions. Black Aluminum instead of the usual carbon fiber ones!
They should be here by the end of the week!  8-|  8-|

I have a few more things in mind which may be bought in the next day or two as I've taken a notion that I'll try get the car to a decent standard for Dubshed!!
Farewell Hard earned cash!!  :-h  :-h

Cold morning..
Needs low.  B-)  B-)  B-)  B-)

Another busy weekend.
Picked up a set of Budget coilovers from Alloy Wheels on Friday morning.
Unfortunately they didn't go as low as I would have hoped on the front but it's still an improvement on before! I'm praying they'll settle down and close the arch gap.

This little add on for the RNS510 came too! Aux Port which is fitted in the cluster with Traction Control

I wanted something a little different for dubshed on the number plate front so went with some Black/Silver German style pressed plates. I also ordered some carbon surrounds. I'm still undecided whether to use them.

Something I've yet to see with a GTI, FMIC.

I also had the rear brake pads changed and revision C DV swapped out for a Rev D!

Weather permitting I'll get a few more little bits done tomorrow along with a good clean and some proper pictures!

I got a few more bits fitted today along with an overdue wash!
Dirt be gone...

I got under the car and gave the backbox a good scrub, still need to polish the tips.

Fitted these to the headlights (Undecided whether to keep them in)

And to match the headlights I thought I'd lamanex the fogs.

I then went about fitting the AUX port I picked up last week with the help of SeanH. A quick 5 min job if you know what you're doing!

Test fitted the new number plates!! Absolutely love them!
I won't be using the carbon surrounds I received. I think they look fine as they are.

My favorite picture of the day I think... ;)

Overall I'm very happy with how the car is coming along. I'll be back out again tomorrow trying to get a few bits done to tidy her up but nothing major.

I'm torn between a few colour themes for the car; Calipers, Fogs, Trim, but I'm sure I'll have my mind made up over there next few days.

This morning I tried tackling the Honeycomb mesh and Gti Trim.
Tricky enough to separate the two out but luckily I didn't break anything!

I thought I'd see what the trim looked like silver... Still waiting for it to dry..

There is a big patch of lacquer peel on one of the carbon mirror covers so I just gave it a quick lacquer spray. It looks a good bit better but will still need another layer or replacement.

Bottom lip also needs replacing! Hopefully I can source one before next weekend..  :?  :?

I think overall it makes the front look a lot cleaner. Hopefully it will all come together  :roll:

Happy with the way the silver trim turned out. I think I'll be going with this for Dubshed!  :ymhug:  :ymhug:

So my DSG paddle extensions arrived today! Such a small mod but really changes the look from behind the steering wheel!

Fitted:

I also ordered this little diagnostics tool from ebay which arrived in 2 days!
I'm yet to use it but it links up to your phone or tablet through bluetooth.
Display current sensor data, including:
Engine RPM
Calculated Load Value
Coolant Temperature
Fuel System Status
Vehicle Speed
Short Term Fuel Trim
Long Term Fuel Trim
Intake Manifold Pressure
Timing Advance
Intake Air Temperature
Air Flow Rate
Absolute Throttle Position
Oxygen sensor voltages/associated short term fuel trims
Fuel System status
Fuel Pressure.

You can also clear fault codes too!
Bargain for €13.99 delivered.
I'll be surprised if it works though! haha

Yesterday I downloaded an app called "Torque Engine Management Diagnostics and Tools" to use with the diagnostics tool I bought on ebay for €12.99. The app itself cost €3.25. (I thought I'd splash out!)
It actually works very well! The readings are giving for Revs and Speed are exactly what it says on the dash. The app can give you all the above readings I mentioned with the OP along with clearing fault codes and graphing timed runs.
My engine warning light came on on the way home from work due to a cat sensor (Sports Cat) and I was able to turn on the app to identify and clear the code in about 10 seconds.
100% Recommend to anyone. All in for less than €20.

Offline prp74

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
Re: Stephen's Grey Mk5 Tfsi
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 07:37:08 pm »
Great build thread so far. Nice spec car to start with. Will be following this  :happy2:
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Online Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 10:34:24 pm »
Welcome to the forum,some great mods on the car

Offline stephen_295

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 09:50:19 am »
Thanks everyone!!

So I dropped the car in for a De-Tar, Wax and Machine Polish on Saturday only for it to be brought straight back out into the rain.
This is how it was after a 10 min drive back to the garage where I was swapping over my plates for Dubshed.

Plates Fitted:

After a quick enough drive, leaving at 6:30am from Wicklow, and stopping in Tallaght to meet up with one of the lads and his S8 we made it to Belfast. The car washing facilities were so much better than I could have hoped for. Good ole foam and power wash did the trick to bring back a bit of shine. £1 for 2 mins wasn't bad either!!

I had originally planned on changing the yellow lights, fogs and calipers on the Saturday before Dubshed but the weather was too bad to do anything so I just left it as it was. I actually am starting to like the color combo with the yellow and silver but it's an easy change when I get bored. 
After drying the car for about 10 mins and it not getting any drier we parked up and went for a wander.

Luckily there was a break in the weather so was able to get a layer of quick detailer down!

I was delighted with how the car looked on the day for the short space of time I've been working on it!
It was a great day with some serious cars on show. Very inspiring to see cars there with small subtle mods, not cars that are sponsored by Airlift, Rotiform and all the above.
I'm very much looking forward to the next show!

I picked up this de-badged grill too on the day.
Always on the hunt for a good bargain  :)

Offline stephen_295

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 09:19:30 pm »
Another bit of spending..

A set of 345mm drilled and grooved Discs for the front R32 Brake Set-up along with a new pair of pads! Hopefully they'll look better behind the new alloys!  8-)  8-)

I also noticed on the Diagnostics App that it gives you a BHP reading.. I doubt it's too accurate but cool all the same!
I'll have to give it a proper attempt on a dry day!!

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 14
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100145.msg983012.html#msg983012
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 04:30:04 pm »
Looking good, Valeos look great on a Grey Golf, it makes me want a set! Do you have a link to the Bluetooth diagnostic adapter? I need to re-set a Air Bag fault code after changing my stereo.

Also I saw ABT wheels on eBay earlier and was wondering how they look on a Golf, the verdict is good  :jumpmove:

Offline stephen_295

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 09:37:10 am »
Looking good, Valeos look great on a Grey Golf, it makes me want a set! Do you have a link to the Bluetooth diagnostic adapter? I need to re-set a Air Bag fault code after changing my stereo.

Also I saw ABT wheels on eBay earlier and was wondering how they look on a Golf, the verdict is good  :jumpmove:

Thanks a lot!
I think they suit it very well!

This is the exact one I bought.
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ELM327-Mini-V2-1-OBD2-OBD-Bluetooth-Auto-Car-Scanner-Diagnostic-Tool-for-Android-/151354108412?hash=item233d6869fc:g:RGcAAOSwhglTwoEE

They can be bought for $2 or less but the shipping is from Hong-Kong. I didn't want to be waiting months for it to arrive. The app I downloaded was €3.50 from the google play app store. It's called "Torque- obdII check".
There are free ones but that one had good review and can do quite a lot!

Offline stephen_295

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 09:37:47 am »
Today I went about fitting my smoothed/Debadged front grill. I'm still unsure as to which I prefer but only time will tell!

Before:

post a picture

After:

image sharing

Then just a few more quick snaps after a clean:

picture sharing

picture uploading

screen shot on windows

screen capture

A friend wanted to get some practice at taking rolling shots so of course I was happy to help.  :lol:  :lol:

upload gif

screen capture

Offline stephen_295

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 08:26:17 am »
A cool shot I got tagged in last night on Facebook by FusedUk at Dubshed.

Offline jayha11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97064.0.html
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 10:32:12 am »
Great progress and a lovely looking car dude!
Mk5 GTI > S3 8P > Cupra 300 > Cupra 290 > Mk5 R32

Offline stephen_295

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 10:48:11 am »
Great progress and a lovely looking car dude!

Thanks very much!!
Really appreciate it!  :happy2: :happy2:

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 12:06:03 pm »
Hey!! I remember that car, it was for sale when I was looking about 3 years ago, the yellow calipers always stood out!

I then met up with the owner about a year ago to scan and fix a few bits! Lovely guy!

The car is looking much better already, hope you declared it was mapped on your insurance unlike the last owner  :rolleye:

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 14
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100145.msg983012.html#msg983012
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 08:53:30 pm »
A cool shot I got tagged in last night on Facebook by FusedUk at Dubshed.

Such an awesome photo man, would love some pro snaps of my car, maybe I need to get to car shows considering i've never been to one

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 02:12:17 am »
awesome pics - love the look of this car - good job on it!  :happy2:

Offline Dublin Dub

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You