Make a donation

Author Topic: Clunky dsg  (Read 3665 times)

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
Clunky dsg
« on: April 29, 2016, 01:33:47 pm »
I am having issues with my dsg which have been there the whole time I have had the car - approx 20 months. The clunkyness and hesitation and general noise, which can only be described as very loud solenoids clicking away is more so present when cold. I know instantly most of you will be thinking mechatronics, but it's had a new one 8 months ago and it's done it since it was fitted also.

The mechatronics that was in before was replaced for something else, but the garage had thought that the clunkyness and hesitation issues were also related, so it's been doing this with both an old mechatronics and a new one.

What are the chances of it being a clutch pack issue, or flywheel, or even internal gearbox problems?

Would low oil cause this? I have vcds so is there a way of checking oil level on that?

Problem is that there is no where even remotely close who can diagnose the issue's, as no where have any real knowledge of the dsg boxes, so if anyone could shed some light that would be great.

Thanks

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
Re: Clunky dsg
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 01:47:38 pm »
They all "clunk" to a certain extent. When driving slowly with all the windows down you can hear it shifting from 1st to 2nd. I'm yet to come across a GTI DSG that doesn't. But in normal driving, I don't hear any clunks.

You can get hesitation or jerking if you've done something the gearbox doesn't expect. It is essentially trying to predict your behaviour. So if you're slowing down and suddenly you accelerate, it might cause the gear to be forced in crudely, as it was preparing to disengage the clutches.

The classic mistake is taking your foot off, or lightly pressing the accelerator to change down (manually). This causes a long delay and if you immediately put your foot on the accelerator there's a big thud.

The DSG is a manual gearbox, you have to bear that in mind.

All that said, if you still think it's not normal then there are ample measuring blocks in VCDS. You could also try a reset. Bare in mind, this will also make the box very clunky for a few days (relearning positions even after the predefined test drive etc).
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
Re: Clunky dsg
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 02:26:01 pm »
They all "clunk" to a certain extent. When driving slowly with all the windows down you can hear it shifting from 1st to 2nd. I'm yet to come across a GTI DSG that doesn't. But in normal driving, I don't hear any clunks.

You can get hesitation or jerking if you've done something the gearbox doesn't expect. It is essentially trying to predict your behaviour. So if you're slowing down and suddenly you accelerate, it might cause the gear to be forced in crudely, as it was preparing to disengage the clutches.

The classic mistake is taking your foot off, or lightly pressing the accelerator to change down (manually). This causes a long delay and if you immediately put your foot on the accelerator there's a big thud.

The DSG is a manual gearbox, you have to bear that in mind.

All that said, if you still think it's not normal then there are ample measuring blocks in VCDS. You could also try a reset. Bare in mind, this will also make the box very clunky for a few days (relearning positions even after the predefined test drive etc).
Thanks for that.

Yes, I know what you are saying about effectively 'confusing' the box causes clunks, but this is as if the box really just clunks between gears consistently when cold and driving gently, but it is very audible inside the car with windows up etc.

It's almost as if it resets itself over night and is relearning again the next day.

It's really making me dislike the car very much, and I do really like and want to keep it, but if I cannot get a cure for this, it will need to go, as it's driving me mad