Make a donation

Author Topic: What's it worth....ed30 dsg 5 door?  (Read 1793 times)

Offline JamesC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
What's it worth....ed30 dsg 5 door?
« on: June 15, 2016, 10:13:42 pm »

Golf R deposit paid and I now have to decide whether the ed30 should leave our garage.

What's it worth:

2 previous owners
93k Full vw service history - recent rear caliber, discs, pads, service, Michelin tyres, abs pump and more.
Sunroof
5 door
Grey
Armrest
Well above average, I bought it from vw just 18months ago and have used it daily, I just hope the R is as good!

Thanks in advance.

James

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 05:08:50 pm by JamesC »

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
Re: What's it worth....ed30 dsg 5 door?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 11:08:09 am »
About 6.5-7k private sale. Add roughly a grand on for dsg.
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline 993BOY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 01:53:56 pm »
The R is a really fantastic car, very fast, very safe and economical for a car with so much power.
I get up to 44mpg on a long run when stuck behind traffic.............that's not very often!!

I have a 5dr in blue as my daily, had it just over a year on a 2yr lease, £31.5K to buy, lease worked out 4.5K cheaper over the 2 years, so no brainer!!

Things I hate
1) It has a really silly sound generator behind the dash to make it sound sporty, but it sounds more like an Imprezza! can be disconnected, but the car is so well insulated, you can't hear the engine!
2) Because it has radar on the front, sometimes you will get a warning by means of a big red exclamation mark coming up on the display coupled with a warning bell, if you get too close to another car, then the brakes will automatically apply themselves too!!
3) The doors & cills have illuminated blue strips that stay on all the time and look a bit boy racer, these can be turned down really low, so not too bad then!
4) Because there are so many safety features and controls etc, you feel a little like the car is driving you as opposed to the other way round, it misses that driver involvement!
5) Has lost some of its looks along the way.

Good points
1) Build quality is of a very high standard
2) Safe
3) Economical
4) Fast!!!!!!
5) Too new to have any faults yet.
6) Great stereo and speakers as standard.
7) Great looking and functioning lights that turn as you go round corners!!!

Not to knock you, but would I buy a new R for myself? in a word No! but that is partly because it will lose 45% of its value after just 3 years, that equates to 14K, just over 4.5K per year  :scared:

Part of the reason for getting my Pirelli is that it is more raw, fun to drive, with more driver involvement and it won't lose a fraction of the money over the next 3 years.
But, you pays your money and you makes your choices  :happy2:

I'm also lucky enough to have a Porsche 993 in the garage as a weekend car, so don't need the extra power of the R  :wink: :driver:

Enjoy the experience, after all, it has been voted best hot hatch for a reason  :happy2:

Offline JamesC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 10:28:43 pm »
Cheers for the replays,

The R is my daily drive and will do 1k plus a month, it's certainly no looker, void of character but once it's been to apr it'll be a quick hatch.

I to dislike the illuminated cills but pleased to hear the standard stereo is good, I did want the ungraded sound but wasn't able to find one with the compete spec.

Fortunately mine has lost a chunk of depreciation already but few cars make you money. Thankfully like you I have a Porsche and lotus for the weekend.

Not sure I'm ready to let the ed30 go though!

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 10:32:20 pm by JamesC »

Offline 993BOY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 08:42:58 am »
I think the illuminated cills cannot be altered, but the illuminated door strips can be turned right down  :happy2:

I'm sure the apr will make it more interesting, although it's pretty quick anyway!!

I've only ever bough a car over a year old, as you say, depreciation has helped even after such a short time!!

Never had a Lotus, a friend had an Elise that was fun  :driver: Not got enough space for any more cars at the moment, currently up to 5!
Can't beat the Porsche for quality, mine certainly turned out to be an excellent investment and has doubled in value over the past 5 years since I bought it! Although it did lose me my license the day I picked it up and got me into the national papers.....claim to fame :stupid: :congrats: :grin:

Personally, I wouldn't sell the ED30 until you have decided that you really like the R, you may then end up keeping it!!!

Offline Essexstu

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 06:10:19 pm »
I would of been tempted if it was a manual.

Offline eltel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 11:55:47 am »
Sorry i don't mean to hijack your thread but my manual eddy is going up for sale in a weeks time its going in for service , cambelt and water pump on tuesday if you're interested  :evilgrin: