Make a donation

Author Topic: *** All your bluefin/superchips questions and answers in here please.  (Read 120923 times)

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Ordered Bluefin
« Reply #165 on: January 06, 2009, 09:10:18 pm »
Well gentlemen, it arrived today, plugged it all in, uploaded new map....

Just not sure if I like it .... I mean, it certainly is a GREAT deal faster, but I feel that it has sacrificed a few characteristics of the car.  For example, I don't know whether it's just because its -7 deg C and that's it, but I was getting serious traction issues in the three first gears, quite violently at that.  The remap seems to have sacrificed a great deal of the low down 1000 - 2500 rpm "pull", it seems that the available power is now only available after 3500rpm, but then it is a great deal more including some wheel spin in 4th, by the way the car is a manual. 

The car also now feels much more "strained" I mean, wth the TC knockin in, etc just feel it will put extreme wear on the car.    I only ever progressivly accelerate and am not of the pendal stomping school of thought.

Is this normal, I appreciate this is probably now a 300bhp FWD, the only stuff I've driven over 300bhp were Porsche's & BMW's, my MK1 Golf with was circa 160 - 170 bhp with a Quaife Diff and didn't feel as violent.  I've only driven the car for 35 odd miles - and well, I just don't know what to say.

Can anyone give any advice - I hope I make sense,

Regards,

Gareth

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #166 on: January 06, 2009, 09:21:51 pm »
Sorry to hear this Gareth, ive always had my doubt putting so much power through a front wheel drive car without any form of OTHER  major mods to try and "tame " the cars Characteristics. Agree'd it is icey at the mo, so maybe give it a month on test or so, you may get used to it. For day to day, i cant see the point personally, as you say the clear benefit is higher up the RPM scale which more often the not is in licence risking territory.
Im happy with the way the ed30 performs after owning standard GTi's . I will get shot for these comments no doubt by the majority, but how far by remapping do you go???? sometimes to the point of no return??.

<<<<runs for his bullet proof shelter :fighting: :fighting:

« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 09:24:05 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: January 06, 2009, 09:25:43 pm »
Aim, Fire Mcavity  :fighting:

James I really think the problem is the weather. My car feels a little 'odd' in these temps and I go no where near the loud pedal when its greasy, icy, wet, mildly moist!  :wink:

As Steve/Phil said give it some time and different driving conditions and Im sure you'll love it.

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #168 on: January 06, 2009, 09:32:33 pm »

James I really think .........................

Good advice there from Bob, oh sorry Nathan  :laugh:,     

GARETH   :wink:, give it a couple of weeks to see if it settles and maybe the weather is less harsh.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: January 06, 2009, 09:35:30 pm »

James I really think .........................

Good advice there from Bob, oh sorry Nathan  :laugh:,     

GARETH   :wink:, give it a couple of weeks to see if it settles and maybe the weather is less harsh.

:signIWS:  :signLOL: Sorry Gareth

Cheers Dave Steve/Phil  :happy2:

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #170 on: January 06, 2009, 09:40:27 pm »
just getting used to it mate at least give it a few hundred miles,

when i first installed  I found it aggresive and got loads of torque steer but you soon get used to driving it differently once you get used to the extra power.

was the same when i received st2 just took some time to get used too as well, but even now i only get t/c if i floor it

if you are accelerating as progressively as you say you are   :wink: you may need to check your tyres  :evilgrin:

GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #171 on: January 06, 2009, 09:40:40 pm »
the huge increases with any ED30 remap need a relearn to your driving style esp around the point the turbo spools.
>300 bhp FWD is flawed without any other changes so in some ways you are right.
But you can drive around it most of the time and the rewards esp in the dry are more than worth it. (and super easy 6th gear overtakes)
I find I can be in 1 gear higher than I thought I would need from std.
I this weather even 4th needs to be used with caution.
Out of interest what tyres you running?
Stick with it  :happy2: or you could even get SC earlier low power map?

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2009, 09:46:52 pm »
I agree with just about everything said above.

The weather is defo a big factor at the moment and even in the crap loaner (1.9TDI 105bhp Golf) I am stuck it was struggling for grip at times today  :driver:

Give it some time and I am sure you will be very happy with it.  :smiley:

hufcforpromotion

« Reply #173 on: January 06, 2009, 10:11:38 pm »
I found when I had my first edition 30 remapped that the rest of the car felt soft i.e. brakes/suspension and all tho it was a lot faster I felt the original map was better suited for the standard car! I won't be remapping mine until it has all the mods in place to enjoy the extra power!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: January 06, 2009, 10:13:58 pm »
I found when I had my first edition 30 remapped that the rest of the car felt soft i.e. brakes/suspension and all tho it was a lot faster I felt the original map was better suited for the standard car! I won't be remapping mine until it has all the mods in place to enjoy the extra power!

Agreed, the brakes especially feel very poor now!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #175 on: January 06, 2009, 10:24:09 pm »
That is the only issue. You keep chasing the weakest link.!

Makes me feel like Anne Robinson

*cold shudder goes down spine* :scared:
Golf R gone.

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #176 on: January 06, 2009, 10:32:27 pm »
the one thing that will improve the feel of the car when the running remap or even stock will be uprated engine mounts

stops the engine moving under acceleration, breaking and cornering with a full set of these bad boys everything is improved and you even get improved torque as wheels put the power on the road better,

hufcforpromotion

« Reply #177 on: January 06, 2009, 10:37:43 pm »
But you have to live with the added vibration!

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #178 on: January 06, 2009, 10:51:46 pm »
had them on a couple of weeks now and tbh vibrations now are only really noticed on starting up  and sometimes sat in traffic but overall feel of car now is well worth it.

the only reason the car is so soft in stock as the oem engine mounts are loosely fitted and have some grease in the mounts to reduce vibrations, thats fine when you are not remapped but the added torque and power with a remap it puts more strain on it all, hence gareth's comment on the car feeling it..

just my thoughts and I am no expert but best mod for me after map in terms of change to car for the good, and effect on your wallet.

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #179 on: January 06, 2009, 11:08:42 pm »
Well gentlemen, it arrived today, plugged it all in, uploaded new map....

Just not sure if I like it .... I mean, it certainly is a GREAT deal faster, but I feel that it has sacrificed a few characteristics of the car.  For example, I don't know whether it's just because its -7 deg C and that's it, but I was getting serious traction issues in the three first gears, quite violently at that.  The remap seems to have sacrificed a great deal of the low down 1000 - 2500 rpm "pull", it seems that the available power is now only available after 3500rpm, but then it is a great deal more including some wheel spin in 4th, by the way the car is a manual. 

The car also now feels much more "strained" I mean, wth the TC knockin in, etc just feel it will put extreme wear on the car.    I only ever progressivly accelerate and am not of the pendal stomping school of thought.

Is this normal, I appreciate this is probably now a 300bhp FWD, the only stuff I've driven over 300bhp were Porsche's & BMW's, my MK1 Golf with was circa 160 - 170 bhp with a Quaife Diff and didn't feel as violent.  I've only driven the car for 35 odd miles - and well, I just don't know what to say.

Can anyone give any advice - I hope I make sense,

Regards,

Gareth

Gareth,

Having recently uploaded the 'new' Superchips Ed 30 DSG map (which is now apparently equal in characteristics to the manual one) I kind of know what you mean.

My new map took 100 or so miles to settle down and the car did seem very uncomfortable to begin with.

I have had one day of dry warmer weather since loading the map and if it wasn't for that I would think the car couldn't cope at all with it !  The dry day was great and the car flew .... getting most of the power down.  Since then, though, it has been a nightmare with the cold weather making it seem like the car just can't handle the power.  I am going to hold out for good weather before deciding 100% either way.....

At the moment the first 2 gears are useless without alot of care and 3rd is still quite interesting ! 

SC have emailed me have the original uprated map I had before the new one so if I choose I can put that back on the car until the weather gets better.  That was less aggressive low down but still effectively produced the same peak power (my graphs are shown in this thread previously).  Time will tell.  I think probably the weather is, as others have said, the main problem. 

You could ask SC if they have a lower torque option like the old DSG map ?  That felt like a bit more than standard up to about 4K then if flew. 

FWIW once settled I have found the newer map the smoothest of the two I have had, and still OK low down.  It may just be with the extra power once the boost comes in fully that even more low down seems like less .... perhaps ?

I do think a bit of dry weather will see me grinning stupidly .... the remap makes the car seem soooo quick it almost feels like it should break !   It is interesting when you consider that SC remap is considered more 'conservative' and 'cautious' with 'less power' than say REVO OR GIAC.  Those were words used by two other tuners on the phone to me .... they are not my own.

Just my views FWIW