Make a donation

Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 38646 times)

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
Re: Brexit
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2016, 08:18:04 am »
The whole Brexit attitude that gets to me is the whole "we're alright John and sod the rest of you". As a rich nation shouldn't we be helping to lead the world to a better place for all. The countries that need help are only looking to have an equal way of life as ourselves. Is that not fair.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

That's called communism and it's never worked.
I call it compassion for and wanting to help my fellow humans mate whatever colour, race or nationality.

dansmith180

« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2016, 09:23:39 am »
The whole Brexit attitude that gets to me is the whole "we're alright John and sod the rest of you". As a rich nation shouldn't we be helping to lead the world to a better place for all. The countries that need help are only looking to have an equal way of life as ourselves. Is that not fair.

I call it compassion for and wanting to help my fellow humans mate whatever colour, race or nationality.

That's a very nice, romantic and idealistic way of looking at things. Maybe I'm just a pessimistic knob but I don't see that the world works like that.

I'm all for helping out fellow man and colour/ race/ religion doesn't really matter to me but you can't bankrupt yourself trying to save everyone when they don't always seem to be helping themselves.

Also if the people in control of the EU were focused on that rather than trying to tell everyone what they should do the world would be a better place.

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2016, 09:28:45 am »

That's a very nice, romantic and idealistic way of looking at things. Maybe I'm just a pessimistic knob but I don't see that the world works like that.

I'm all for helping out fellow man and colour/ race/ religion doesn't really matter to me but you can't bankrupt yourself trying to save everyone when they don't always seem to be helping themselves.

Also if the people in control of the EU were focused on that rather than trying to tell everyone what they should do the world would be a better place.

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 48
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101205.0.html
« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2016, 11:44:13 am »
There is an outside possibility that nothing at all happens about us leaving the EU.

- The referendum is not legally binding. There is form in Europe for not following through a referendum result...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

- Boris has himself in the past said a "no" referendum was the best way to go into EU negotiations, win some real concessions, and then put a revised deal to the UK as a second referendum. He did do a U-turn on this later though; "out is out". But he lies, so who knows what he's plotting. And he might not be in charge.

- There's talk about forcing the decision through a parliamentary vote, at which point it would be voted down. This maneuver is being called a "reverse maastricht." Sounds like a WWE move!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/2016/jun/06/reverse-maastricht-legal-politically-feasible-eu-referendum-brexit

- There's a chance of an early general election, sometime next year. The Lib Dems have said they will campaign on the basis of keeping the UK in the EU. Now, they're not going to win, but makes you wonder what labour will do, and what happens if they end up with a remainer leading labour and in coalition with Lib Dem.

Basically, all kinds of scenarios could play out!

All of this has got me wondering about picking up a small amount of UK banks or home builders shares. Barratt and RBS for example 30% lower on the month; fair if we do exit, but could look very cheap in a couple of years if it turns out we stay in. But then again, just the uncertainty if it continues for an extended period of time damages the profitability of these companies; a 5% fall in home sales and 5% off prices takes 33% off the profit of the average UK homebuilder!

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2016, 12:49:04 pm »
Boris bottled it then.lol

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2016, 10:43:53 pm »

At what point was our contribution to the EU bankrupting the UK?

Compare the UK's financial contribution to the EU in 2015 at £8.5 Billion net (after what we get back) against the loss to UK companies following the 'out' decision of over £120 Billion, and the biggest drop in Sterling in over 30 years? Which was the biggest impact on the UK's economy?  Clue: not the UK's payment to the EU.

What real examples do you have of the EU telling everyone what to do??? :doh:

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2016, 12:02:25 am »
Changing anything in UK Law, has to go via EU for "permission"
No Free Trading outside EU
TTIP

Compare the UK's financial contribution to the EU in 2015 at £8.5 Billion net (after what we get back) against the loss to UK companies following the 'out' decision of over £120 Billion, and the biggest drop in Sterling in over 30 years? Which was the biggest impact on the UK's economy?  Clue: not the UK's payment to the EU.

And?
Just because it cost us heavy in the short term, doesn't mean it's not the right decision long term.

Would you honestly want the UK to join the EU now if we had never been a member? :thinking:

dansmith180

« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2016, 12:35:34 am »

I didnt say the EU was bankrupting us, I said the idea of giving our money away to every country in need so we could all be equal would probably bankrupt us.

Real example? How about the fact that it took 8 YEARS to deport that maniac Abu Hamza, and he cost us £25million while he was here.

We had to wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait until eventually the judges in Strasbourg let us deport someone from our own country. And they were reluctant to do it.

dansmith180

« Reply #113 on: July 01, 2016, 12:38:58 am »
Also a huge amount of the initial losses have been regained with the FTSE 100 coming back real strong, the FTSE 250 is slow but getting there and the Pound is stabilising.

It was always going to cause disruption but this is a LONG term decision. People seem to be so caught up in what the next 3 months is going to be like instead of the next 3 decades. We as a country have recovered from far worse only to come back bigger and stronger. But the EU is something even we would have been swallowed up by eventually.

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2016, 01:11:42 am »
Germany sold the UK over £100 billion worth of product last year.

Biese, chief political analyst reports thousands of jobs could be on the line in Germany, if Merkel pursues a policy of punishment towards the UK.

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: July 01, 2016, 06:15:39 am »

I didnt say the EU was bankrupting us, I said the idea of giving our money away to every country in need so we could all be equal would probably bankrupt us.

Real example? How about the fact that it took 8 YEARS to deport that maniac Abu Hamza, and he cost us £25million while he was here.

We had to wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait until eventually the judges in Strasbourg let us deport someone from our own country. And they were reluctant to do it.
It may of taken 8 years to deport Abu Hamza but we are only fed the reasons why from the media and if you believe the media then your facts are probably wrong. If we stayed in the EU the law on deporting EU criminals in our prisons was about to be changed and made much quicker but now we are out the deportation of  criminals is going to take much longer than it takes presently. Probably just as long if not longer than Abu Hamza. I'm sure that will drain a bit of cash out the taxpayers pocket.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 06:20:59 am by Craig Stanley »

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: July 01, 2016, 06:29:38 am »

It may of taken 8 years to deport Abu Hamza but we are only fed the reasons why from the media and if you believe the media then your facts are probably wrong. If we stayed in the EU the law on deporting EU criminals in our prisons was about to be changed and made much quicker but now we are out the deportation of  criminals is going to take much longer than it takes presently. Probably just as long if not longer than Abu Hamza. I'm sure that will drain a bit of cash out the taxpayers pocket.

Also we don't know what is going to happen now. Its all a massive gamble and I'm sure we all hope it pays off.

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
« Reply #117 on: July 01, 2016, 08:50:34 am »
It all shows how restrictive the EU is when you look how hard they make it to leave.
After article 50, The UK will be trading under WTO rules until new deals with the EU are made which could be 10 years, as they start fresh, sigh.
The UK, if they are going to article 50, should seek out the free trade deal with India that they sought but were blocked by EU after 9 years!
Then we can all drive Jag/Landrover from TATA more cheaply than VAG.  Just need Jag to make a hot hatch, the ingenium engine designed AND built in the UK.  Iirc the ecoboost was designed in the UK too.

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: July 01, 2016, 09:10:43 am »
It all shows how restrictive the EU is when you look how hard they make it to leave.
After article 50, The UK will be trading under WTO rules until new deals with the EU are made which could be 10 years, as they start fresh, sigh.
The UK, if they are going to article 50, should seek out the free trade deal with India that they sought but were blocked by EU after 9 years!
Then we can all drive Jag/Landrover from TATA more cheaply than VAG.  Just need Jag to make a hot hatch, the ingenium engine designed AND built in the UK.  Iirc the ecoboost was designed in the UK too.
You should run for PM dude as you are clearly educated on the whole Brexit issue.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: July 01, 2016, 09:19:48 am »

Your £120bn quoted above is NOT a real figure , the £8.5bn IS
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD