Make a donation

Author Topic: Symptoms of a failing coil pack *success on a Sunday!  (Read 13914 times)

Offline GTI8v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Symptoms of a failing coil pack *success on a Sunday!
« on: July 16, 2016, 07:23:13 pm »
Evening all
Think I've got a coil pack on it's way out but just want to confirm the symptoms.
For the past couple of weeks I've  been getting an occasional shudder between 2 / 2k revs, not all the time, but then I don't drive the car much.
Today I went out and if I have the car in manual in 6th and press the throttle more than half way, once it gets to about 2.5k there's no power and a lot of shuddering. Seems to drive better in auto, just giving the same occasional judder.
No management light on though. When I had a couple go on a Bora the engine light came on.

Also, If there's someone in North Yorks that could do a vag com scan to confirm it would be appreciated. Failing that, she'll be getting booked in sometime this week to be sorted out.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 03:21:41 pm by GTI8v »

Offline GTI-Mark

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Symptoms of a failing coil pack
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 07:34:57 pm »
Don't know if this is of any use to you but I've just had 1 replaced after a diagnostic test. Symptoms for me seemed a little more dramatic. Very juddery, misfiring and sounding like a Subaru Impreza  :confused: with obvious power restrictions. My EML didn't come on immediately and the misfire would disappear once the car had warmed up. When the EML did appear it began with an intermittent flash and then stayed on constantly. It usually started to judder about 30 seconds into a journey from cold and was a idling with the odd judder prior to the more noticeable misfire.

Offline shoaybmakda

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 07:54:44 pm »
Best to get it scanned first with VCDS for any misfire codes. Could be coil pack, spark plugs or even worst case (with me) an injector.

Offline GTI8v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 08:04:07 pm »
Yeah, i'll see if anyone is local and if not I'll book it in to my regular garage

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 08:20:11 pm »
So easy to check if you have even a basic code reader. Scan engine and see what cylinder is misfiring then swap the coil out of the missfiring cylinder into the next one and put that coil into the original missfiring one. Delete codes and the start engine, rescan if it's the same cylinder it's not the coil, if it's changed to the other cylinder then it's the coil.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 10:11:02 pm »
Best to get it scanned first with VCDS for any misfire codes. Could be coil pack, spark plugs or even worst case (with me) an injector.

How much was an injector? I scanned a friends hilux last week after he had same symptoms and found he had two failed injectors.... Work car so no odds to him!

Offline GTI8v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 11:09:01 am »
Don't know if this is of any use to you but I've just had 1 replaced after a diagnostic test. Symptoms for me seemed a little more dramatic. Very juddery, misfiring and sounding like a Subaru Impreza  :confused: with obvious power restrictions. My EML didn't come on immediately and the misfire would disappear once the car had warmed up. When the EML did appear it began with an intermittent flash and then stayed on constantly. It usually started to judder about 30 seconds into a journey from cold and was a idling with the odd judder prior to the more noticeable misfire.
Apologies @GTI-Mark missed your post for some reason.
Thanks, sounds similar wih the exception of the EML.
Ill have to get it scanned, my son has a cheap scanner which I'm hoping will pick up the fault.

Offline GTI8v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 11:11:15 am »
So easy to check if you have even a basic code reader. Scan engine and see what cylinder is misfiring then swap the coil out of the missfiring cylinder into the next one and put that coil into the original missfiring one. Delete codes and the start engine, rescan if it's the same cylinder it's not the coil, if it's changed to the other cylinder then it's the coil.
Thanks, as soon as I've sorted a scanner out I'll try that.

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 11:48:32 am »

How much was an injector? I scanned a friends hilux last week after he had same symptoms and found he had two failed injectors.... Work car so no odds to him!

@lukemk5gti I think I paid £250 for one injector - that was part supplied and fitted.

Offline GTI8v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Symptoms of a failing coil pack *success on a Sunday!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 03:36:50 pm »
Sorted.  :happy2:
I opted for the not sitting on my arse all day trying to work out how to get it scanned / fixed and decided to do something about it.
As luck would have it Euro Car Parts have a £30% discount code for today. Had a look and they worked out at £22 with discount so I reserved one online, cycled over and set about fitting it.
Starting on left hand side, (after fighting with the engine cover and worrying I was going to break the thing) changed it and took it for a spin up the road. All seemed ok until it got warm and the judder was back.
Back home, cover off (easy now because after watching youtube vid noted he mentioned a blob of grease on the bungs) 5 minutes and the parts were swapped and the cover back in place, new one in 2nd from left and original back in number 1.
Back up the road and all is smooth again.  :driver:
Not too bad, 3 hrs in total which included a lovely ride in the sun to ECP. Gave the engine cover and plastics a bit of a polish as well.
Code is FLASH30 if anyone needs anything.

Offline GTI8v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Symptoms of a failing coil pack *success on a Sunday!
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 01:48:54 pm »
Bit of an update on this.
After my initial success it was soon found not to be the case, once I'd driven the car again the EML came on.
Didn't when driving to try the coil packs, and then only when I touched the accellerator pedal.
Ordered a cheap code reader, which turned the light out until restarting the engine and drive where it would come back on.
Unfortunatley the code reader was throwing a throttle position code which confused me a little.
Anyway, Friday night moved car to wash it then back again seemed to kill the tired battery and it failed to start.
Ordered a new one, along with another 3 new coil packs using Euro Car Parts 25% offer (annoying as it was 30% Thursday evening  :rolleye:)
All fitted this morning, and all is well, EML went straight out as it should, radio didn't need code entering and all dash lights associated with removing the battery have gone out.
I'm guessing the EML light was due to the new coilpack along side the older 3 and the battery was a coincidence, as It's been 'tired' since I got the car 18 months ago and has lasted 12 months longer than I expected!
Hopefully this will help someone else who has coilpack troubles in the future .