Make a donation

Author Topic: Spark plug gaps  (Read 46362 times)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Spark plug gaps
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2016, 08:43:24 pm »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2016, 08:51:46 pm »
It goes into login options email and password

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2016, 08:51:56 pm »
nope

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2016, 08:59:36 pm »

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2016, 07:52:32 am »
That works, although lots of clicking to download the CSVs individually.  :rolleye:

Absolutely nothing wrong in those logs. Map looks very well suited to the car, car is very happy and nothing looks amiss. Very strong Stage 2 map making huge boost at  low RPM, Lambda enriching at higher RPM when the fuel pump (aimed at standard pump as I know you have a LOBA) can keep up. Easily making and holding 120 BAR of fuel pressure with no sign of the  standard 130 BAR PRV cracking early and reducing fuel pressure  :wink: :happy2: :signLOL:

Seriously there is nothing wrong there at all, can only commend the map and running of the car. Whatever issue you had is not present in these logs
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2016, 08:58:06 am »

Even looking at the values when they where live on the screen, all the demands were being met.

I wasn't sure about the injection timing, don't know what's good and what isn't.
Also couldn't remember if higher or lower lambda was rich / lean.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2016, 09:12:31 am »
Thanks Dan and Mike.

So nothing's ringing alarm bells on the face of it. It's reassuring that you see it as a strong map and healthy car in general Dan. And yeah that return valve is coping fine

I'm interested to learn a bit more about timing and the AFR.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2016, 06:05:49 pm »

Even looking at the values when they where live on the screen, all the demands were being met.

I wasn't sure about the injection timing, don't know what's good and what isn't.
Peaking in the 8's is ok/on the limit, 9's you can manage but want to avoid. Have seen 10's but ECU not happy, maxed out fuel trims and running lean etc.

Lower the decimal, the richer it is. 0.9 is leaner than 0.8 etc.
Thanks Dan and Mike.

So nothing's ringing alarm bells on the face of it. It's reassuring that you see it as a strong map and healthy car in general Dan. And yeah that return valve is coping fine

Well the ignition timing is on the limit hence you have the small amount of timing pull that is optimum for performance. The AFR is leaner than would be ideal at lower RPM as the (standard) fuel pump cannot deliver any more than what is requested. A 'Stage 2+' map would give you a richer AFR at lower RPM as the fuel pressure would be higher, meaning more fuel delivered for the same (or similar) injection time, meaning you keep cylinder temps and EGTs cooler, and can run more ignition timing resulting in more torque/power. You always aim to go richer toward the redline anyway but by higher RPM the injection timing is back to happy levels as there is plenty of fuel available
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2016, 06:26:26 pm »

Peaking in the 8's is ok/on the limit, 9's you can manage but want to avoid. Have seen 10's but ECU not happy, maxed out fuel trims and running lean etc.

Thanks Dan and Mike.

Well the ignition timing is on the limit hence you have the small amount of timing pull that is optimum for performance. The AFR is leaner than would be ideal at lower RPM as the (standard) fuel pump cannot deliver any more than what is requested. A 'Stage 2+' map would give you a richer AFR at lower RPM as the fuel pressure would be higher, meaning more fuel delivered for the same (or similar) injection time, meaning you keep cylinder temps and EGTs cooler, and can run more ignition timing resulting in more torque/power. You always aim to go richer toward the redline anyway but by higher RPM the injection timing is back to happy levels as there is plenty of fuel available
So basically I should be on a 2+ map; more fuel delivered at lower rpm therefore less timing pull?

I'm in two minds at the minute whether to go k03 hybrid/k04, or stick with the k03. The plan, either way, was to stick with the current hardware/software setup for now, and then get the map updated to either 3 or 2+ respectively once I'd got the full works in place hardware wise. Even if I was staying with the k03 I'd like to get an upgraded intercooler and intake before I got the map revised. That's the only reason I'm still on the Stage 2 map, when I should really be on 2+, like you say.

So, would you say getting a 2+ map right now is ideal, rather than essential? And if I were to run the car just as it is for say another 6 months I wouldn't (shouldn't) have any problems?

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2016, 07:23:06 pm »
Thanks for the reminder Dan :)

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2016, 09:14:49 pm »

Thanks Dan and Mike.

So basically I should be on a 2+ map; more fuel delivered at lower rpm therefore less timing pull?

I'm in two minds at the minute whether to go k03 hybrid/k04, or stick with the k03. The plan, either way, was to stick with the current hardware/software setup for now, and then get the map updated to either 3 or 2+ respectively once I'd got the full works in place hardware wise. Even if I was staying with the k03 I'd like to get an upgraded intercooler and intake before I got the map revised. That's the only reason I'm still on the Stage 2 map, when I should really be on 2+, like you say.

So, would you say getting a 2+ map right now is ideal, rather than essential? And if I were to run the car just as it is for say another 6 months I wouldn't (shouldn't) have any problems?
The car will quite happily run like this. A 2+ map would extract a little more low down, which would be nice but is certainly not essential. I'd decide on the hybrid or K04 route and leave the mapping as is until then.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2016, 09:15:52 pm »

Thanks Dan and Mike.

The car will quite happily run like this. A 2+ map would extract a little more low down, which would be nice but is certainly not essential. I'd decide on the hybrid or K04 route and leave the mapping as is until then.
Will do mate. Thanks again for your input

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2016, 09:37:06 pm »
So the misfires gone? Did you change the plugs? I read back through the thread but couldn't see if you'd changed them or not..

Great news if it was the plug..

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2016, 09:47:46 pm »
I think AJP said the misfire miraculously disappeared and hasn't appeared again?.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2016, 09:57:41 pm »
So the misfires gone? Did you change the plugs? I read back through the thread but couldn't see if you'd changed them or not..

Great news if it was the plug..
The misfires vanished as of Sunday morning halfway through a long drive (strangely?) and it's still driving nicely. I pulled the plugs on Sunday afternoon and swapped 2 & 3. Plugs all looked spot on incidentally.

I do have a set of new plugs if I need them, but figured if it does misfire again and logs the misfire on 3 it would theoretically indicate that same plug being the fault - the misfire code I got was on 2. I would then put the new plugs in with some confidence.

I'm still hesitant to assume it's all fine, as much as the logs show it's running really well at the minute. It's odd that it was so sporadic. Almost like there was some random obstruction to fuel or spark that's come and gone.