Make a donation

Author Topic: Spark plug gaps  (Read 46363 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Spark plug gaps
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2016, 09:58:42 pm »
I think AJP said the misfire miraculously disappeared and hasn't appeared again?.
Miraculously is certainly the word!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2016, 10:05:28 pm »
I think AJP said the misfire miraculously disappeared and hasn't appeared again?.
You're very lucky  :smiley:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2016, 10:08:55 pm »
So far mate, so far. I'm driving 200+ miles to the Welsh coast in a week. Can't say I don't have a slight fear in the back of my mind that it's all going to go horribly wrong going over the mountains...!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2016, 10:11:14 pm »
So far mate, so far. I'm driving 200+ miles to the Welsh coast in a week. Can't say I don't have a slight fear in the back of my mind that it's all going to go horribly wrong going over the mountains...!
I'll be honest with you and say these vag cars do have intermittent faults that "miraculously" vanish and without a trace as to why it was there in the first place. Hopefully you'll be fine and your car I'll get you there and back without and problems.  :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2016, 10:13:31 pm »
I'll be honest with you and say these vag cars do have intermittent faults that "miraculously" vanish and without a trace as to why it was there in the first place. Hopefully you'll be fine and your car I'll get you there and back without and problems.  :happy2:
Cheers mate, fingers crossed. I'm quite looking forward to the drive, once you're up into the hills the roads are incredible, as well as the views.

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 41
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2016, 10:20:12 pm »
Glad to hear things have finally been sorted for you mate. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

I've just returned from an epic journey to Milton Keynes (for the 40th Anniversary event at VW Headquarters), then onto Devon for a week. Came back via Newbury. Covered just over 700 miles and loved every minute of it. This is certainly the longest journey the car has been in, in my ownership anyway. I normally cover 700 miles in several months!

PS - still not fitted the bumper.......
Previous motors (in order of succession since 1994):-

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
VW Corrado G60 Supercharged
Volvo C70 2.0 Turbo Convertible
Audi TT MK1 1.8T quattro (225)
Mercedes CLS 320 V6
Audi TT MK1 3.2 V6 Quattro
Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Quattro
VW Golf MK5 GTi 2.0 Turbo

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2016, 10:28:59 pm »
Cheers mate, fingers crossed. I'm quite looking forward to the drive, once you're up into the hills the roads are incredible, as well as the views.
Sounds really nice. went to Wales one late night many years ago and it was amazing with long aiding roads up the mountain side. scary though as there was no side barrier so any careless move and its don't the mountain side  :scared:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2016, 10:41:22 pm »
Sounds really nice. went to Wales one late night many years ago and it was amazing with long aiding roads up the mountain side. scary though as there was no side barrier so any careless move and its don't the mountain side  :scared:
Yep, that's exactly what it's like. The road through Welshpool, Newtown, Aberystwyth and down the coast towards Fishguard. If you get it wrong it's game over. But if you get it right it's as good as it gets.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2016, 11:02:34 pm »
The Black Mountain Pass is a worthy detour on your way to the coast....
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2016, 11:22:08 pm »
The Black Mountain Pass is a worthy detour on your way to the coast....
I might just look into that Dan... :)

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2016, 11:40:49 pm »
Pull your finger out  :P

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2016, 11:42:50 pm »
Yep, that's exactly what it's like. The road through Welshpool, Newtown, Aberystwyth and down the coast towards Fishguard. If you get it wrong it's game over. But if you get it right it's as good as it gets.
Trust me I was shi**** myself as it was pitch  black too bmw 320 E reg and I wasn't driving so maybe a good thing too.  :phew:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2016, 04:08:28 pm »
Guess what...... the misfires came back.

This time I did get a code, and the misfire has stayed on cylinder 2. So that rules plugs out in theory.

The more I get these misfires the more I'm starting to recognise a pattern: WOT in 3rd at 2500-3500rpm 'triggers' it. I reckon if I never used full throttle I'd never get this misfire.

Anyway, the misfire seemed to ease somewhat, then I parked up for 5 minutes, tried again, and the misfire was gone.

I'm a bit p*ssed off that it didn't miss a beat with you @Tfsi_Mike. It's all quite perplexing. So, the drama continues. I can at least now rule out both plugs and coils, but I was pretty sure that was the case anyway.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2016, 04:31:43 pm »
Just a bit more info. In the run up to the misfire, going round bends at say 3000-4000rpm on light throttle it felt like it was just being 'held back' momentarily. Like it'd feel if the brakes were really lightly applied for a second or two.

Also, remembering an earlier post on this thread I attempted 'driving through' the misfires, so pushed to full throttle on boost, and at one point the misfire was quite severe and I heard a metallic clink from the engine that coincided exactly with the misfire. It really didn't sound healthy, so I didn't attempt to drive through the misfires again..

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2016, 04:35:05 pm »
Glad to hear things have finally been sorted for you mate. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

I've just returned from an epic journey to Milton Keynes (for the 40th Anniversary event at VW Headquarters), then onto Devon for a week. Came back via Newbury. Covered just over 700 miles and loved every minute of it. This is certainly the longest journey the car has been in, in my ownership anyway. I normally cover 700 miles in several months!

Thanks mate, although as you'll see from my latest update the gremlins have returned.

Your car certainly felt strong and healthy to me Rash. And it will have done it good to get up to temperature for a while.

All in good time with the bumper. It's only cosmetic so you have the luxury of being able to do things at your own pace. It'll be worth the wait!