Make a donation

Author Topic: New GTTDI owner needing advice  (Read 628 times)

Offline arx_1

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
New GTTDI owner needing advice
« on: December 17, 2016, 04:19:22 pm »
I am new to the group and have recently bought a mk5 gttdi 140. i'm wantng to do a GTI conversion to it with bumpers (front & back), side skirts, alloys and spoiler.

Is it as easy as buying all of the parts and fitting them on or is there any tips & tricks people could give me.

Any help is appreciated!

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
Re: New GTTDI owner needing advice
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 02:39:31 pm »
Rear Bumper, Side Skirts and Alloys (5x112) are bolt ons. The rear GTI spoiler is an integral part of the tailgate so you will need to buy the complete set unless you get an aftermarket version and glue it on.

The front end depends on what bumper you have currently have, the earlier GT bumper is the same as the standard Golf so you will need a GTI front carrier to do the job properly. But some people take a shortcut by trimming the GTI bumper to fit over the standard carrier which does fit eventually but you lose access to the front tow. The later GT/GT Sport bumper shares the same design as the GTI which makes the conversion much easier, all you need is to changeover the grilles to complete it.

Offline arx_1

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: New GTTDI owner needing advice
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 09:56:20 pm »
Thanks for that, thats good to know. I was hesitant to buy any parts yet as i wasn't sure if the bumpers and skirts would go straight on. I've managed to get a hold of a GTI bumper which was previously on a TDI like mine, the previous owner had trimmed it down so i'm hoping it goes flush onto mine. I have heard my fog ligts from my TDI won'y fit into the GTI fog holders, wanting to know if this is correct or if theres anyway around it? cheers