Make a donation

Author Topic: How to remove clip when installing OEM S3 Short Shifter?  (Read 2086 times)

Offline gman

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
How to remove clip when installing OEM S3 Short Shifter?
« on: December 30, 2016, 04:47:18 pm »
Whilst installing the S3 Short Shifter, removed the 13mm nut and clip connecting linkage to old shifter but cannot remove the second clip. Have looked around on this forum and others and also watched the ECS youtube video on how to install this shifter but no clue how to remove this clip - not sure which bits to depress and which direction to pull, not even sure if the clip on mine is the same one.

Clip I am talking about: (from the review/install thread on here)

How it looks on mine:

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 08:51:48 pm by gman »

Offline gman

• Taking part
  • Thank You
Re: How to remove clip when installing OEM S3 Short Shifter?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 06:53:15 pm »
Figured it out, just in case anyone else has this question - there is no clip to remove, you simply depress the top section and pull the side-to-side shifter part away. I just didn't pull hard enough the first time hence the post  :happy2:

Offline UniquEd30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 09:11:14 am »
Hey pal,

Was thinking to do the same upgrade, how big of a notice is this upgrade compared to the oem shifter? What oem shifter have you got on? Ed30? Or GTi?

Offline Chris_R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 05:02:48 pm »
Hey pal,

Was thinking to do the same upgrade, how big of a notice is this upgrade compared to the oem shifter? What oem shifter have you got on? Ed30? Or GTi?

It's pretty straight forward, did a adjustable short shifter myself yesterday. Hardest bit was getting the original off the splines but once you get it rocking it comes off with some determined wiggling.
The change IMO is well worth it, my adjustable I am about 1CM shy of the maximum and it feels a lot better to me and suits my driving style - plus the last four cars I have had all had a short shifter so I am used to it.
If you don't want to go for the S3 one, you can get the adjustable one on eBay for not a lot. This is the one I went for:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180949054815?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Offline gman

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 08:23:05 pm »
I had a standard GTI shifter on before and felt the throw was way too long for somewhat sporty car. The S3 one is only a 20% reduction but felt just right for me - feels OEM+ and just the way it should've come out the factory. I was sceptical about whether I would notice such a small reduction in throw but I definitely can. I suppose you could say that if you are able to 'feel' that the stock shifter has too long of a throw then you should equally be able to notice a reduction with the S3 shifter even though it is only 20%.  :happy2:

It is just a piece of metal really so you could always go for a eBay one as suggested above if you want more reduction as well as some adjustment.