Make a donation

Author Topic: Carbon clean  (Read 6225 times)

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
Re: Carbon clean
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 08:16:24 pm »
I believe the general consensus is it's not worth it.

Walnut blasting seems to be the method everyone recommends - I've been looking to get mine done but can't find anyone local in Leicester who does it.

I believe R-tech offer a similar service.

I didn't think r tech offered this service - will give them a shout

I Dont think they do....
They do mate. I spoke to niki lastweek and i'm booked in for the start of april

What do they charge for walnut blasting? I didn't ask last time I was there
I can't remember exactly but i'm sure its £450 including the runner flap delete supplied and fitted.

...... just seen the posts about price after i wrote this.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 678
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 03:14:37 pm »
Wonder if they've ever done a before and after dyno run?

Cleaned valves won't give you any more peak hp.  At best you can expect slightly better cold starting and perhaps a slight improvement in off boost responsiveness.

Carboned up valves remind me of skidded pants.  Not pleasant to the eye and whilst the skids don't affect anything, you just know they are there and want them gone.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline JoshJaggard

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 09:37:07 pm »
Seen on another thread someone who had their S5 carbon cleaned
Whilst strapped on a dyno, with a before and after run
Without being moved the whole time

There was an increase of around 20bhp with a print out

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 09:35:51 am »
Seen on another thread someone who had their S5 carbon cleaned
Whilst strapped on a dyno, with a before and after run
Without being moved the whole time

There was an increase of around 20bhp with a print out

The old n'asp V8 S5, or the more recent turbo one?

You will defo get gains on n'asp engines as they ingest a fixed amount of air.  And it's got 8 sets of valves clogging up, which when summed together is a lot more of a restriction compared to 4 sets of valves on a 4 pot turbo engine.

It's getting on for a £400 job on the TFSI, which is too much money for such a tiny gain. 

If someone did some MAF logging at idle, part throttle and WOT and found an increase in air flow being pulled in under all those conditions, I'd probably do it, but if the engine runs smoothly and is quick, I'd leave it personally.

Offline CP-Performance

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 07:13:06 pm »
I'm not sure where you got £400.00 from to clean the inlets. Most places charge around £150.00 to do the inlet cleaning, Rtech are offering to have your injector seals changed as well as flow tested, I believe that is where the £300+ figure is coming from
Instagram chr1spick
www.cp-performance.co.uk

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 08:04:46 pm »
I'm not sure where you got £400.00 from to clean the inlets. Most places charge around £150.00 to do the inlet cleaning, Rtech are offering to have your injector seals changed as well as flow tested, I believe that is where the £300+ figure is coming from
im yet to hear of a company offering walnut blasting for £150

R-Tech are now offering walnut blasting service and will be carrying out other mechanical soon as their new unit is up and running or have already started the mechanical

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 10:16:40 pm »
Re the £150 job...

Sure we're comparing like for like?

Ie not comparing terraclean or some such similar chemical process (imho a waste of time/money for these cars) v walnut blast or mechanical cleaning?

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 10:51:01 pm »

Cleaned valves won't give you any more peak hp.  At best you can expect slightly better cold starting and perhaps a slight improvement in off boost responsiveness.

Carboned up valves remind me of skidded pants.  Not pleasant to the eye and whilst the skids don't affect anything, you just know they are there and want them gone.
I think runner flap delete may even cause slightly lumpy cold start/idle. So I'm told by a reliable source with firsthand experience.
If everything is kept clean I personally don't think it's necessary, just my opinion of course.  :laugh:

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 09:20:57 am »

I was going by the £360 that AKS charge, which is 'getting on for £400' in my book, especially when you factor in the petrol getting there and back, plus any other little bits and pieces that might need doing whilst they're in there.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2017, 09:30:49 am »

I think runner flap delete may even cause slightly lumpy cold start/idle. So I'm told by a reliable source with firsthand experience.
If everything is kept clean I personally don't think it's necessary, just my opinion of course.  :laugh:

That does seem to be the word on the street!  I can understand why.  Loads of fuel being chucked in so the atomization is poor, so the flaps do the 'crimping the end of a garden hose' thing to accelerate the air to introduce swirl.  Neat trick.
They also work when hot to improve low end torque, so that probably suffers too, especially on laggy KO4 engines.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2017, 11:08:29 am »
My K04 with RFD achieves maximum torque at 2500 rpm. I wouldn't consider that a very laggy turbo. I removed the RF mostly to avoid future issues if any would break and damage the engine. I don't get a lumpy start and the slightly lumpy idle is only noticeable if you really pay attention for enough time.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2017, 11:29:22 am »
The turbo is spooled by 2500rpm, I'm talking about the rpms from idle up to 2000ish.  The flaps and cam advance definitely help with responsiveness down there.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2017, 11:32:55 am »
I didn't drive mine long before removing the flaps but I'm not sure if the difference is really noticeable once you remap the ECU. It's much more responsive now. :smiley:

Offline Chrisl85

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2017, 11:34:45 am »
I'm having quite a serious issue with this. To the point where I get the dreaded oil pressure stop lights, my mechanic is telling me to get rid of the car.  I want to keep her though, will walnut blasting resolve my problem?

Offline jaylufc17

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 48
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2017, 12:35:00 pm »
getting mine done on saturday from elite carbon clean seen an advert on facebook 2 cars for £99... will let you know the outcome