Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 GTI Tornado Red  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
MK5 GTI Tornado Red
« on: March 19, 2017, 03:31:52 am »
My front wings have corrosion like a lot of MK5's and so does one corner of the passenger side door and the upper part of the sill, a few inches long..

Looking to get these issues sorted within a decent budget. How well do aftermarket wings fit and how much would I pay for them from a dealer as well? Also how would I tackle the door and sill? Would it be a case of painting the wings, bonnet, bumper and both front doors to get an even colour match or just paint what needs done?

Offline leebes

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
  • When's the next track day?
  • My Ride: 2007 Mk5 Gti (Reflex Silver)
Re: MK5 GTI Tornado Red
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 07:44:36 am »
What year is the car? Have you tried taking it to a VW dealer and getting at least the wings done through warranty?

Wings is known issue on Golfs and VW extended the the corrosion warranty to cover a known issue with the paint work coming out of the factory. I have a 2007 gti and had my offside front wing replaced by VW last year.

Theres loads of threads around about it, so have more success than others in claiming the free warranty repair.

willni

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 08:41:44 am »
I had a sill rust on my polo and got it covered under warranty took ages though, not sure what warranty they used though should be the 12 year paint one though. If not they said £180 for both sills repainted and rust coating repaired with 50% dealer help.

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 09:04:28 am »
What year is the car? Have you tried taking it to a VW dealer and getting at least the wings done through warranty?

Wings is known issue on Golfs and VW extended the the corrosion warranty to cover a known issue with the paint work coming out of the factory. I have a 2007 gti and had my offside front wing replaced by VW last year.

Theres loads of threads around about it, so have more success than others in claiming the free warranty repair.

How long is the warrnty? 10yrs? More?

Offline irish_ram

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 09:09:26 am »
Warranty is 12 years. If wing have not been resprayed or damage has not been cause by yourself then you are covered.

They will say it is done under goodwill and will not include blending but my tornado was done without blending and match was good, all depends on your current paint condition.

If you check your handbook it says 12 years as some vw's can be funny and bullsh*t. If they do then go to VW head office who will sort